1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Chevy water pump

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Quack Shot, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Phil

You'll need a 10MM socket wrench and possibly a 12MM. Drain the radiator. Leave the belt on the pump and loosen the three or four bolts on the front of the pully. Put a breaker bar on the belt tensioner and remove the belt. Remove the pump pulley bolts and pulley. Remove the half dozen or fewer pump attachment bolts and remove the pump. (you may have to LIGHTLY tap it with a block of wood to break it free.) Remove the gasket material from the pump housing mounting area. Be careful not to damage the surfaces, but get all of the old gasket removed. A good gasket removal spray can help loosen it a bit too. Install the pump with a NEW gasket and be careful not to overtighten it. Install the pulley and then the belt. You can tighten the pulley attachment bolts after the belt is on. Fill and pressure test the cooling system with 50/50 or 60/40 antifreeze mixture. Be sure to bleed the system with the one or two air bleeds as you fill it.

A couple of recommendations. Buy a NEW water pump and forget about a rebuilt. A new one almost costs less than a remanufactured one these days. You might consider flushing the cooling system before doing the job, especially if you have that orange/red DexCool garbage in the system. That stuff will sludge up horribly over time, so use a heavy duty flush. You might have to flush it two or more times. Get all of the old crap out and refill it with a good standard antifreeze. It should take no more than a couple of hours, start to finish. The actual pump replacement takes about 15 minutes or less. It's the system flushing and proper filling that will take the time. If the plastic drain valve on the radiator is broken or in need of replacement, they can usually be purchased from a dealer or local auto parts store. Don't crank on it with a pair of pliers. There is a socket that they make just for that. It's made out of plastic too, so easy does it. You might also consider replacing whatever hoses look old, along with a new thermostat. You are already into it, having drained the system, so it's just another couple of bolts to deal with.

Good luck!

2. guncase

guncase TS Member

This has to get the record for "the best reply ever" on this site!!
    very good info and advice with no bull! Congratulations Quack Shot, fine job!!

3. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Quack Shot,I thought you were a Ford man,,,,,,,how is Vicke doing with that 1100,,,,any 25's yet??,,Billy

4. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Folks,

Quack Shot knows all too well what it takes to repair a lumina. He might be a Ford man but we both own luminas. (Sold mine and got a Cutlass instead, but it's almost the same 3.1) he just did a major overhaul on his own. There are three things I never argue about with him. Cars, Guns and Computers. Everything else is fair game! lol

Billy!!! I LOVE the 1100. No 25's yet, but I am dancing around 20-21. Not too bad for someone who started shooting on December 17, 2006 huh? I did have the stock work done with a very nice recoil pad and I love it! Thanks again for selling it to me. I had a wonderful time at Bucks county and would love to go again sometime.

Take care everyone!! Get out and enjoy the weekend!

Luvn

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

chatbrat:

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. The Thermostat housing is at the engine end of the upper radiator hose on the driver's side. There may be a few things in the way. One side is slotted as mentioned before, so all you need to do is remove one and loosen the other. You would probably need a 13MM flex-socket on an extension. I believe there is a rubber seal, so the gasket thing is easy.

Glad to hear you got it done and I was happy to help if I could. I've done a few of these in my lifetime and it was real easy to explain. I taught this stuff for many years and have had some input into the diagnostic and repair manuals that the Techs use at the dealers, not to mention developing the actual classes they take for training. I deal mostly with the electronics and diagnostic end of it, but still know how to turn a wrench! I did THAT for years too!

Billy G:

I've got all flavors of vehicles sitting outside. One is a Lumina with ten years and 140K on it. My Pontiac is 18 years old and has gone over 350K on the original engine and trans. I do spend more time working on the Fords though. How does it go? Fix Or Repair Daily? Frequent Overhaul Rapid Depreciation! That 1100 has had a few modifications and an overhaul and is working like a charm. She's hitting the high teens and up to 21 so far. Might take a few months to get her up to the 25 though. She just needs to listen and do as I tell her. Hard thing to do for a female! :) Hope you are doing well and the family is OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.