1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/Chevy truck problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TC, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

2001 Siverado 1500, 5.3 V8, 4 speed auto, 56,000 miles. Truck is "surging" even when it kicks down to 3rd gear going up hills at 55 to 65 mph. Seems to be OK untill it gets good and warmed up ie, 10 miles or so. What would cause this? TIA, Tony

2. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Pull the trouble codes first. Even if the engine light is not on the computer might be seeing something. If there are no trouble codes, clean the throttle plate, look for a small air leak in an air hose. How old are the spark plugs? After that you almost need to watch the live data on an engine analizer.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Did someone forget to plug in the mass air sensor when replacing the Air Filter

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

ss

5. TC

TC TS Member

Seems to be doing this any time while accelerating.

6. Hemlock

Hemlock Member

Change the fuel filter before you do anything else.

Ken

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Chevy/GM trucks are notorious with sh!tty fuel pumps. I changed at least one in every GM full size pick-up truck i owned. Unless they have changed their design after the models i had, it's in the fuel tank. Have to unbolt the bed, unhook tail lights, unhook fuel filler tube and have several people help you lift the bed off(been awhile but i think that's all). Now you can get to the fuel pump. The pump is part of the pick-up tube/filter as well as the fuel guage. It unscrews but has to be carefully tapped around with a punch and hammer. If i remember correctly, they are not that expensive just kinda a PITA to change. Pic below shows where you access the pump on the top of the tank. The other method is to drop the tank. Because most the time the strap bolts are rusted in as well as the tank being full of gas and heavy, it's easier to remove the bed as i stated. I will say that most of the time the fuel pump just goes out like a light switch. I do not recall instances of it warning of it's failure by the symptoms you listed. Just another possiblity.
    [​IMG]

8. TC

TC TS Member

Will the computer throw a code indicating fuel pump malfunction? Who makes the best replacement pump?

9. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Only a fuel pump pressure test will tell if the pump is ok.

10. copper

copper Member

The fuel pumps in the 2001 GMC I had went at around 170,000 truck just died and 2003 Chevy around 180,000 same way ran fine just stopped no surging You might want to go to dealer for computer scan I had AC trouble and a regular shop told me there scan could miss stuff GM,S scan would get at dealer ship.

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

The best way to fix the problem is to replace with Ford or Dodge. LOL, Jake :)

12. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

May be a transmission problem. Has it had regular service? Doesn't sound like the fuel pump issues that I've had. With fuel pumps, mine have run-then just quit. Re-started and quit again.

13. grntitan

I mentioned the fuel pump only as another option. I agree with all who said they normally just go out without much warning. It's mainly why i said this in my post above:

"I will say that most of the time the fuel pump just goes out like a light switch"

Really there are alot of things that can cause your issues. The old school diagnosing method was:

1)Check to make sure you are getting fuel

2)Make sure you have spark

That was all one needed back before the computers. Now it's much more complicated and even with the code readers and computer diagnosing things can get overlooked.

Please let us know what you find out.

14. TC

TC TS Member

I am thinking it has to be transmission.

15. Skippyd

Skippyd Member

does the truck surge when running at a constant speed or does it do it under load mainly.If it is more under a load (acceleration or hills) I would try the fuel filter it is tucked up in the frame rail and is easy to do and they are cheap
    good luck with it
    Darrell

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Go to advance auto and get a free scan. I have seen similar problems being caused by a coil breaking down. And they ususally start doing it after the vehicle is warmed up. It will usually show up more under acceleration. Surging is uaually caused by sensors in most cases. Jackie B.

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

If a bad fuel pump, why unbolt and lift the bed? I believe the dealer drops the fuel tank to get to the fuel pump???

.....or did I miss something here? I do believe in jacking up the truck, putting it on stands, and taking out the rear end in its entirety to do a brake job! (not!)

18. copper

copper Member

I think truck bed is 4 bolts and they just tilt bed top of tank right there and pump if tank has gas is easier than dropping tank some times. I have not done it but have been told about it . Get a ford or Dodge and you will not have to worry about 200,000 plus miles of tires and brakes only . As I have done with GM trucks . Like shot guns some people like working on them . good luck

19. grntitan

Chango2,

Obviously you haven't done one. I have done 3. I believe you did miss something. I explained quite clearly WHY you usually don't want to drop the fuel tank. I think you just wanted to be a smart a$$ though. For the reading deficient here it is again.

1)The fuel tank with fuel(most people do try to keep their tank full) is quite heavy. 1 gallons= roughly 8 lbs. Most Chevy/GMC pick-up trucks are at least 26 gallons. That would mean there could be 200+lbs worth of fuel not counting the tank weight itself. Then you would also have to get that out from under the truck to be able to work on the top of the tank. Remember the vast majority do not have a lift at home meaning they are doing this on jack stands low to the ground. Most jack stands will not raise the truck high enough to allow for the clearance of the fuel tank to be slid out from under the truck. To lower the fuel tank down you would have to have it on a tranny jack(or similar jack) thus adding to the height underneath your truck. Of course you would probably just lower it with your one arm.

2)The tank strap bolts are usually rusted in from the road grime and very difficult to remove. The bolts are usually not the easiest to get to(the bed bolts are an easy vertical removal). The bed mounting bolts are up in the frame and somewhat protected from the grime making a ratchet and long exension work pretty well. I use a cheap impact gun. Most people that would be doing it themselves have an impact gun and extensions. The bed doesn't need removed only slid or tilted back slightly allowing room to work on the access hole easily. Believe it or not, the bed is not that heavy(just a little bulky) and you are only moving it slightly.

It is your truck and you may choose any method you want. I went with the simple "Backyard Method" that works for those without the convienece of a lift.

Just Say'n....................

20. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

A good friend just had the fuel pump fail in a Tahoe - TWICE - no choice as to taking off the bed for that job.

In a garage with lifts, jacks, all the necessary tools, and labor the job took over half a day each time. First was worse in that everything had 'old' rust, second time did take less time ('new' rust?), but was still an effort.

grntitan might be on to something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.