1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT- Change to Synthetic oil or stay with Regular o

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by MX-15L, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MX-15L

MX-15L TS Member

Would it be a reasonable idea to change to a Synthetic oil on a car with 38,000 miles? The car is a 2007 Buick Lucerne with a NorthStar engine. I have heard that there might be leaks from cracked gaskets, but I'm wonder what the Trapshooting Experts think? Thank you for your ideas. JoeZ

2. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

At about 50K, I changed to Mobil 1 in my 4.6L F-150. Although it did not leak, it burned oil. Went back to regular oil and it's OK. I change at every 3000.

3. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Here is a pretty informative forum about motor oils.

4. jcw62

jcw62 TS Member

I would stay with the Mobile 1 you might blow your engine due to excessive pressure if you change and then you will have to take it in to have it magnafluxed to find out why.

5. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

I have always put Mobil 1 in my new cars and trucks after the first oil change. I have had as many as 250,000 miles with out any engine trouble at all. It is the greatest thing sense sliced bread.
    I swear by it.
    keep shooten FRAN

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

What are you trying to gain by using a synthetic oil? If you change your oil regularly there son't be any noticable difference in preformance or engnine life. Do your self a big favor and drain and flush your engin coolant if equiped with DEXCool it eats engine gaskets. Your also at the milage to change the transmisson fluid filter and gasket. Do not let anyone talk you into a trans flush service unless it involves replacing the filter and gasket as well.

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I've had several cars where I switched to Mobil 1. One car had 35,000 and three of them had 55-65,000 and not one of them ever develped a leak.

Ran all of them except my present car to 185,000 miles without using any oil or having any engine touched by a mechanic.

Why change........My opinion of course, is.......you do get a better gas mileage and it is a better lubricant than regular oil.

Mobil 1 comes in all new Vette's from the factory and there must be a reason for that.

I change my Mobil 1 every 15,000 miles, which is twice what oil should be changed at. I do change my filter every 7500. Did this will all of my cars.

I've used it for a long time now and am a believer in it.

Hauxfan!

8. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Mobil 1 0-40 is the the standard oil in my 6.1 Hemi Chrysler. I have ran Castrol full synthetic in my other vehicles for several years without any engine issues. I am a bad example of engine life, since 40,000 miles is a high miler for me before I am off to the next new toy. But they never burn a drop of oil, get at least advertised fuel economy, and my peace of mind.

9. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The only time synthetic oil makes sense is if you run it 8,000 to
    10,000 miles. Changing it at 3,000 to 5,000 does nothing but wear
    out your drain plug. Your just pouring your money out with the oil.

10. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Go with synthetic. You can change them back and forth whenever you need with no loss of the benefit when you have synthetic in there. I just go Mobil 1 and have never looked back in 10 years. Have had many vehicles over 200k with the mobil without serious compression issues.

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

For any normal passenger car or light duty truck I would stick with regular oil. Change it every 5k miles or 6 months which comes first & you are good for as long as you would want to keep your vehicle. when I was in business 7 had a fleet of service vehicles I used nothing but Mobil 1,( it cost me a lot of money to put a vehicle down for oil changes) change the oil once a year approx. 25k miles. The engines were great,never leaked or burned oil. Every vheical went close to 200k. Chevy, Dodge & Ford 3/4 ton vans. Oil is oil if it meets the mil spec for the engine use it. Most fleets buy their oil in 55 gal drums. Brand is secondary as long as it meet the manufacturers specs you are good to go.

phil Berkowitz

12. MX-15L

MX-15L TS Member

Thank Guys for the input, I'll sleep on it. JoeZ

13. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I bought a well used 1987 chevy pickup with 305 engine from my boss with 172,000 miles on it. It had been serviced every 5,000 miles with different brands of oil since it was new (state DOT vehicle). I drove it to 238,000 miles and sold it to a friend who runs a tire and repair shop 5 years ago last August. He uses it for a chore truck and a loaner. Says he changes oil when he thinks about it cause it still does not use any. It has almost 300,000 miles on it and has gone through a couple of starters and water pumps, in it's life and he said it could really use a throttle body rebuild, so it seems to me that if you want to spend the money on the synthetic it would be OK, but it sure doesn't look like you have to.

14. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

synthetic oil is more of a religion than an oil

15. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You need to run regular oil for the first 10,000 miles then it is o.k to go to synthetic. This allows the rings to seat. If you go to synthetic oil too soon the engine will use oil.

I run my Mobile 1 for 7000 miles.

Jim Skeel

16. BPSR

BPSR Member

I'll give you my .02 worth. I run Mobil 1 in my 04 Trialblazer, have since the first oil change, I bought it new. I run it in every new vehicle I buy after the first oil change. What made me a believer was a friends Mazda he tore down after the body rusted away to nothing. The engine was as clean as the day it was new inside, it had 183,000 miles on it, he ran Mobil run from the first change in it.
    As far as leaking issues, I've tried to run it a few of my older vehicles. Every one I tried to use it in that had 100k or so on it did have some oil leaks with the synthetic. Whoever said above here in this topic that as long as the vicosity is the same it won't matter, apparently had better luck than me. I've had vehicles that didn't leak conventional oil, but the same vehicle would leak with synthetic. Synthetic oil is definately a different breed at cold start temps, it is thinner at start up temps, and will find a place to leak, if there is one (aged gaskets etc.). The main reason I use synthetic is because of the ability to be very fluid at 0 and below temps. Try putting some regular oil, and synthetic, in your freezer for a few hours see which one flows better, syntetic hands down will beat every conventional oil in freezing temps. I live in a climate that goes from -10 or -20 in winter, to sometimes near, or at, +100f in summer, I like the fact that at -10 my oil is circulating immediately upon startup, rather than a conventional oil having to get some temp built up to flow freely. Cold starts are definately one of the hardest things on an engine in my opinion.

17. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I live in California's San Joaquin Valley. It is hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. It's farm country, and mighty dusty. My '95 Mazda B-3000 commuter truck has 265,000 miles on it, and it still runs strong. I use Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1. No engine issues at all, except when the thermostat stuck and the engine got hot enough to stall(Queen Bee was driving...didn't look at the temp gauge). That was when the truck had 30,000 miles on it. I credit synthetic oil for the longevity.

18. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I have a friend who races rally cars and the like.

He swears by synthetic in that these engines run 15 to 20 degrees cooler while racing - the stuff must be doing something to make that happen...

I run synthetic in my truck and change the filter ~3,000 miles, then oil and filter ~6,000 miles.

Works for me.

David D

19. DJM

DJM Member

As with most automotive reliability and longevity issues I doubt 1 in 100 of us have any statistically valid conclusions. There are too many variables in the mix and our sample size is just too small to be meaningful. What relevance does data on a car 5 years or older have on the cars in the showroom today? That said I am old enough to remember when an older car that started every time at minus 20 deg. gave you bragging rights. So when I saw the cold pouring demonstation on synthetic oil I satrted using it just in the winter. I do believe you will get a few more cold cranking RPMs. But the modern cars no longer have frequent cold starting problems. I also have found that if you have an engine that leaks oil it will leak more if you switch to synthetic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.