1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT***Cell Phone Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Lyndon Shumaker, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyndon Shumaker

Lyndon Shumaker Member

I have had Sprint Cell Phone service several years now and am not happy with the service or the cell coverage. Can any of you guys give me your opinions on Verizon or Cellular One???????????????

Any comments appreciated. Thanks

Lyndon Shumaker

2. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Where are you? I have Cingular. Since they merged with AT&T they are I think the largest provider.

Forrest

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I started the early 1980s with Cellular One which became something else which became Sprint which became something else. I had no qualm with their service but in the mid 1990s, I started getting erroneous bills. Not for more minutes than I used but for hundreds of dollars worth of hardware and installation charges. They always corrected the bills but it became a burden, so when PCS-1 (which became T-Mobile) announced digital service, I switched.

The clarity was great but the coverage sucked. They told me it would when I signed up but also told me that they would be adding towers over the coming year that would correct that. Two years later, they still hadn't, so I did some research on cellular providers and found that at that time, Verizon had the most towers in the eastern third of the country.

I've been with them for about 10 years now and can honestly count on one hand the number of times I've had a call dropped or found I had no service. I know a lot of shooters who have no service at Elysburg, for instance, and I didn't either when I was with Cellular One/Sprint/whatever and PCS-1. But since switching to Verizon, I always do.

Ed

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have had Verizon for some time now and, compared to the Cingular I had there is no comparison. I have never had a dropped call with Verizon, and with Cingular it was a common occurance. In fact, Consumers reports just did a great article on cell phone carriers and rated Cingular as the one with the most dropped calls of all the carriers they compared. Needless to say, Verizon was at the top.....Just my experience.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

It ll depends on what part of the country that you happen to be in.

Verison is best on the East coast, Cingular on the West Coast.

Before you sign up with one, go to their web page and look up thier coverage map. Then decide!

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I had a bad experience with Verizon; not over phone function but with an upgrade that went sour. I went to a mall Kiosk to upgrade the telephone and was told our service was for a analog phone and we couldn't just trade into digital service. So I called Verizon direct and was told the opposite - that I could opt for a new, preferred phone and there would be no change; nada, zero changes in our service, billing, price, yada yada.

I opted to pay for the new phone in 3 equal payments and, God forbid, even arranged that by credit card. Well, sure enough, the phone came, it worked just fine for a couple of days and then we got the "you-need-to-update" letter and "must agree" to the additional costs et cetera. So, I took the option to return the new phone per their written warranty and did so with their blessing by phone, went through all the hoops, and got confirmation that it had arrived and my account would reflect same.

For the next 10 months they billed me for the monthly payment of the phone (which was returned) and they could only explain that they couldn't cancel the purchase but would refund the payments eventually. I ended up canceling a credit card to stop them and even then had several arguments telephonically. I personally don't want one of the danged things but had the wife change services for hers. I've done my best to steer folks awayl from Verizon ever since....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

BTW, the wife's now with Cingular and without issues but we are very, VERY careful about what we do in the way of changes to the service....Bob Dodd

8. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I just changed from Cingular after about 10-14 years with them. The coverage got worse and worse. I have only been with Verizon about 2 weeks. I went to N.C. to The Southern SxS last weekend. Coverage was much better the whole trip. I started out with a Motorola Q it sucked! Went yesterday and traded too a Trio 700wx. Like it lots better.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

That 15-day free return period is a great Verizon benefit. I renewed my contract with them about two months ago and chose a Motorola Razr phone. The buttons are flush with the phone's face and I invariably pushed two or three at the same time. Also, Motorola phones do not allow the phone to ring and vibrate simultaneously, so I swapped it for another LG, a Cherry Chocolate. My last three wireless phones have been LGs and I've come to like them best.

Another nice Verizon offering is the "New-Every-Two" program which gives you $100 toward a new phone every two years. Between the hundred bucks and the current rebates, that always seems to get me a nice, state of the art phone for nothing. And if you have multiple lines with them as I do, the primary line on the service gets a new one every year!

Ed

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I've had a bunch of them, most have changed names about three times. We now have Cingular, which is changing to AT&T, there seems to always be some little mistake on the bill that you can spend days tring to clear up, or just pay it, as it is always in their favor. The cellular phone business in my opinion has to be one of the sorriest businesses there is, they tell people to get them,for emergencies, if you ever have an emergency don't ever count on a cell phone to work, and if it does, it'll drop you. I liked it in the old days when someone wanted to track you down, they had to work at it!

11. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Nextel (now merged with Sprint) works the entire length of Interstate US75 (upper peninsula of Michigan to Miami). That works for me. Also works on the west coast, Sparta, Chicago, Atlanta and most of Tennessee. Guess it's where you live, what you expect, and what you pay, eh?

12. mreinfeld

mreinfeld TS Member

I BET YOU ALL DIDN'T THINK THAT SOMEONE WHO WORKS FOR A WIRELESS CARRIER WOULD ACTUALLY RESPOND. WELL, LET ME EDUCATE THE UNEDUCATED! THERE ARE A LOT OF FACTORS THAT GO INTO CONSIDERATION. OBVIOUSLY THE MAIN ONE AND MOST IMPORTANT IS WIRELESS IS JUST THAT WIRELESS. IT'S NOT LIKE MA BELL WHERE YOU HAVE A ROTARY DIAL PHONE FOR THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT THAT IS, PLUGGED INTO THE WALL AND YOU PICK IT UP EVERY TIME AND IT WILL WORK. WIRELESS IS NOT GUARANTEED TO WORK EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME. SECOND YOU FOLKS HAVE TO REMEMBER WHERE YOU LIVE IS ALSO A BIG FACTOR. I DON'T THINK THAT IF YOU ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE GRAND CANYON YOU WILL BE ABLE TO CALL 911 IF ALL OF THE SUDDEN YOU ARE HAVING A HEART ATTACK OR A STROKE. I COULD GO ON BUT I DON'T WANT TO GET TOO TECHNICAL FOR THOSE WHO AREN'T

13. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

All you Verizion users keep paying your bills. Verizion has been paying my brother and I rent for a cell tower site for the last four years and have yet to build the tower. Personally I have a Tracfone that serves my needs with no monthly bills.

14. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

**WARNING** Uber long post

Ahhhh Mreinfeld. I swore I was going to stay out of this catbox, but your comments can not go unanswered.

Yes, wireless service is not perfect, not 100 percent, but then neither is land line. Just ask the 2.4 million subscribers to Ma Bell when they cut that level 3 fiber optic line a couple years ago. Which by the way, also effected every blackberry user on the east coast because there is no redundancy built into the system in the event a level 3 fiber optic fails due to an act of God (read 2 days of rain and a sink hole) Do you know what it is like to have 800 blackberry users all going through withdrawal at the same time? No I don't guess you do.

So Mreinfeld, you don't say which wireless company you work for, however, let's dish a little about all of them, shall we? First off, there isn't a sole working for a wireless company that knows diddly about accounts receivable or accounts payable. Because if they did, it wouldn't take 6 months to clarify and correct invoices that are billed 60 days in arrears. (Hello Verizon)

It also would not take a genious to figure out that if the contract stipulates that your equipment will be %35 off of the nationally advertised price, that means a $100 phone is only $65. (Cingular are you listening?)

Area coverage is alot like men who brag about their penis size. Objects in the mirror appear larger than they really are. While Cingular/AT&T has a robust digital network, if you are not within spitting distance of a digital tower, you won't be able to use it. Maybe that's not an issue in New York City, or Los Angeles, but don't try to make a Cingular phone call in Towanda Pennsylvania, Sterling Virginia, Easton or Silver Spring Maryland. If you are on the Sprint PCS network, you are hosed if the tower to tower networks go down because they can not switch to the other towers. If you are on Verizon, you are fine here in the Nations Capital, or in New York City, but god help you if you are in Virginia Beach or Miami. Likewise, if you are a Cingular customer, you'll be hard pressed to get your phone or blackberry to work well on the Acela train up the Northeast corridor, but it will work just fine if you are on the Pacific Coast Highway in California.

So while cellular service is not perfect, it can be better if the service carriers start putting their money where their mouths are. Instead of paying some jerk in a Verizon uniform to continually ask, "Can ya hear me now?" How about laying out some of that money to build cell towers in the midwest where the service is sadly lacking coverage (Lake Tahoe for one. They have one cell tower and it's so close to the airport it is consistently jammed and hijacked). Instead of Cingular paying millions to change their name BACK to AT&T (Same lousy service, returning to the same lousy name) Why don't they finish upgrading their digital networks and help out the little guys who still have analog phones by giving them one of the digital units instead of telling them it's too bad, but they will have to pay full price for a new digital phone because it's not CINGULAR'S fault they did not upgrade when the analog towers were taken down.

And how about all cell services recognizing that when a business depends on this new technology and is willing to make the huge investment to operate it, that they have the responsibility beyond the sale to support that technology. Train their customer service reps and reduce the stupidity of their call centers.

***NOTE If you are still reading this. I spent 2 years supporting 2000+ wireless units and their users. I could tell you stories you wouldn't believe. In that time, I met 4 wonderful people who worked for the big 3 companies. They were exceptional people who worked with me sometimes all night to fix issues, whether the issue was billing, equipment or service related. To them, I owe a debt of gratitude, because if it were not for Phil Howard from Verizon, Jason James and Brian Fitpatrick from Cingular, and Steve Schultz from Nextel, I would have lost my mind a long time ago.

15. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Went from Verizon to Cincinnati Bell. No contract and a hell of a lot of minutes like unlimited. No roaming charges as such but minutes are used (1000 Free) only when you are not on their network. And the best part $39.00 a month per phone.

Rock

Jim

16. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Well said Luvn.

Bottom line -- none of them are perfect, it's really what works the best for you, your area and what you want. Everyone will have a horror story or 2 about each one of the major carriers.

I live in Northern California -- I work in Sacramento (50 miles from my home). I was an AT&T customer prior to the Cingular thing. Great service, no problems with calls and I could use the phone in my house, in the country.

When AT&T became Cingular, everything went downhill in a flipping hurry. Couldn't make calls - they switched towers, but weren't ready, lost 1/2 our coverage between Sac & where I live and we had to stand in the driveway by our pastures to use our cellphones. Since we had "switched" to Cingular, we had to take early termination and we went to Verizon. Haven't regretted one moment of it. We've been with them for 2 years and will continue unless something horrific happens.

JM2cents.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Trucker son in law says Alltel is the only one that covers everywhere he goes.

It's also the only one that covers my Prairie dog area.

HM

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Hey Guys, you need to cut mreinfeld some slack here. He's probably SHOUTING since his cell service is quite poor. :) CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? Maybe he's the guy in this Video? WARNING: ADULT LANGUAGE!!!!!!! (Cut and paste the following URL if you would not be offended) http://www.cnettv.com/9710-1_53-6874.html

mreinfeld: Are you that 19 year old career person at the Local Radio Shack with the horrible case of zits selling cell phones? No wonder you didn't/couldn't get too technical.

19. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

I went from Sprint to Verizon a couple of years ago and have never looked back I travel all over the US and Verizon does great for both my work and personal service. I am sure there are some areas where others would be better, but I can't complain. Now for the rest of the story - Verizon does not use a SIM card whereas Cingular and some others do. My personal phone crashed on me a while back and I lost my entire phone book because I didn't have it backed up properly. Shame on me. On the other hand, a friend of mine put his T-Mobile through the wash and found it in pieces in the dryer. Went down to T-Mobile store and they slapped the SIM card in another phone and he was back in business in minutes.

20. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

I had a business cellphone account with T-Mobile using a Blackberry 7290; I was on a business trip last Nov. to Bogota, Colombia and the call reception back to the states was crystal clear; I never had a bad cell connection using that phone & service, and I had to make calls all over the country, and I often called South America. My experience with a Verizon personal cellphone account is a joke by comparison.

What benniesdad said about having a phone with a 3V SIM card is the truth; if a phone with a SIM dies, all you need to do is swap the SIM card into the new phone & you're back in buisiness

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.