1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT cell phone outages OT

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by AveragEd, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I live about 16 miles from Vern but work just three or four miles from him and use Verizon for cel phones and their FIOS Internet service. I've experienced no problems at all and I'm on the Internet all day at work, as I have two PCs communicating via a server at my location with my employer's home office.

Weird how such things can be so localized.

Ed

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Many times, the Cell carriers will contract with a third party for data transmission lines between systems, or even with each other. Sometimes the same third party carrier will have an issue that affects more than one cell phone company. One such third party entity could be someone like Level 3, which had an issue in Baltimore a few years ago. It affected Blackberries on several carriers until it was resolved a day or two later.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Vern,
    Where did you hear they're getting the I-phone. I thought they definitely weren't getting it. I just got the latest Verizon phone, the HTC Incredible. You almost don't need a computer anymore. For sure you don't need a GPS.

4. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I work for a cell company, and the standard for an easy answer is "we are upgrading our towers in your area". Our company only uses a "third party" for the Sidekick phones. Our data and voice is all in-house. For the "REAL" scoop in wireless email to publisher@rcrwireless.com and get the daily news on all of the carriers.... My company did NOT experience any network failures this weekend. It happens, but not on a regular basis. LarryB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.