1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT CCW reciprocity

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Zoltan, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoltan

Zoltan Member

This summer my wife and I, both CCW holders will be traveling from Ohio to Florida and then on another trip from Ohio to Texas. Since we both carry I want to get CCW licenses that have reciprocity to cover the states we will be traveling through. Is there one state that we can get our license from that will cover all of the states we will be traveling through. Would prefer to do this online if possible.

Thanks for any help you can give me in this matter.

Roger Edgington

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Utah honors the most, but Flordia only honors a Utah Resident permit.

A Flordia permit might be your best option. Click on the link.

Wayne

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you are wrong- or take the wrong advice - then just be prepared for possible felony charges- time in jail and thousands of dollars of fines and legal costs

The last place you want to ask that question is online and the last place you want to look for advice are websites offering it. The downside is so great.

You have to get this exactly right - and hope the law doesnt change after you start your trip

Possession is a crime that doesnt require intent.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. 3220

3220 Member

Hi,

Reference Gene's advice and I consider him spot on! Here is a website that is good reference on CCW reciprocity:

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

All the best,

Fred

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Someone posted a thread a while back about,"What freedoms have you lost" here is a perfect example of a LOST FREEDOM!!

There should NO NEED for reciprocity!! PERIOD!!

AS a US citizen and my state issues me a CCP, ALL state should be "required" to HONOR it!! end of story!!

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

When you got your CCW you should of recieved a book with all of the states and their limitations ... If you didn't get that inquire of the place where you got the CCW, its part of the classes ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Taking a book such as WPT mentions or quoting your CCW instructor or a website guru will have absolutely no effect on the outcome of a criminal charge should you be arrested and find yourself in a courtroom in another state.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Direct from the State of Fl. here are the qualifications to obtain a CCW there. Bulge.

9. half oz of 5's

half oz of 5's Member

Roger along with ohio a utah non res would get you there. Although there are many states that will recognize the Utah concealed firearm permit, the State of Utah has formal reciprocity (written agreement) with the following states (Click on the name of the state for further information):
    •Alabama
    •Alaska
    •Colorado
    •Florida
    •Georgia
    •Louisiana
    •Mississippi
    •New Hampshire
    •North Carolina
    •North Dakota
    •Ohio
    •South Dakota
    •Texas
    •Virginia
    •Washington State
    •West Virginia

10. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

Roger,

While I completely agree with timberfaller, I think Gene is giving you some good advice. What all those responding to your post failed to ask however was if you are SURE you want to get into a car and travel for several days with Jane knowing full well she is armed! My advice to you would be to NOT TICK HER OFF! Oh yeah, and make sure to tell her I am just kidding, sort of.

Have fun,

DuckDog

11. half oz of 5's

half oz of 5's Member

Roger without utah non res . ohio leaves out georgia , alabama, and texas

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

on Rt.75, Georgia is the only state without reciprocy to Ohio. I called our county Sheriff before leaving for Florida.

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Unless I missed something......Flordia does NOT recognize Non-resident permits.
    That is why from Ohio to FL. or Ohio to Texas, a non-resident FL. Along with your Ohio resident, would be best for you.

Wayne

14. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

You can get a non resident permit in Fl. Mash on the link I provided. Bulge.

15. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Avoid Illinois like the plague. I`m sure you know that anyway, and it was not on your route.

Agree with Gene, internet advice isn`t always correct.

Best advice, leave side arms at home.

16. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Listen to Gold Medal. When you take that trip from Ohio to Texas do not take I70 or I64 through IL! You're safe in Indiana on those roads but head south and go through KY or TN on your way west.

17. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Just took Ohio course this last weekend and the different state laws was a subject of much debate and discussion. We looked into Georgia laws and our thinking is that you can carry in your vehicle in Georgia, but not out of vehicle unless you have a Georgia or reciprical state permit. Also according to Florida Dept of Agriculture website, Florida and Ohio are reciprical. Some states will not accept an out of state permit unless you are resident of the issuing state. Our instructor said before we travel we need to check each state on our path. This should be done by checking current Attorney General or governing bodies of each state. These laws are constantly changing so a current check needs to be done. To sum it up check it out yourself, second hand info is no good. What I wrote is just my understanding of the laws.

18. half oz of 5's

half oz of 5's Member

roger here is one in columbus that does utah non -res,Mid Ohio Firearms is located at:
    3906 Driscoll Court
    Dublin, OH 43016
    614-285-7586.

19. 548

548 Guest

Because you posted on a public forum, you're going to get public comment. Well, here's mine: Leave the guns at home, take the wife out for a nice dinner and drinks, enjoy your vacation without worrying about your sidearms or the changing requirements depending on geographic locations.

20. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

And Hope that, where you've traveled to, has NO criminals!! And LEO's are just a stone throw away!

Ante State Governments just grand!!

Instead of leaving guns at home, JUST stay home and enjoy the local scene!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.