1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Cat allergies

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trap41, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trap41

trap41 TS Member

I am allergic to cat dander and I don't want to deprive my family of the kitten they want.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to cohabitate with a cat.
    trappy?

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Simple. Leave your family and let them enjoy the kitten.

Tron.

3. trap41

trap41 TS Member

Any other suggestions?

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Had that all my life. If a cat scratches me I get a welt like a bee sting. The only answer is possibly to find a short haired cat you don't react to, or have a dog instead.

You need an allergist. it's possible you may be able to be desensitized.

It is my observation that the condition lessens with age. So maybe you can have a cat in about 30 years.

Dogs are better anyway.

HM

5. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

i was terribly allergic to cats when i was young. spent many years with red, puffy eyes and sneeze attacks. I've pretty much grown out of it tho.

like halfmile said...shorthair is your best bet...and dont rub your eyes...ever. hehehe

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Get a female cat (males produce more dander).

You can get allergy shots from your doctor.

Although the cat will not like it, have someone in your family bathe the cat twice a week, which will also reduce the dander (also wipe it down every day with a damp microfiber cloth or disposable lab gloves, then wash or toss. The cat gets a petting as a bonus).

Keep the cat confined to certain (hopefully, bare floor) areas of the house and close those vents off. Don't go in there. Keep a HEPA filter in there. Anyone coming out of the "cat area" can change clothing upon exiting, as they will carry around the dander on their clothes. The garage is ideal for this.

Keep a Hepa filter in other areas of your house, and vacuum regularly with a vacuum that has a Hepa filter. Change filters on a regular basis.

Steam/dry clean all carpet, furniture, curtains, and bedspreads once per year. Better to have leather furniture that can be wiped down.

Don't feed your cat commercial-grade pet food. Feed it very high-quality food. The amount of dander has been shown to go up substantially with intake of substandard food.

Get Allerpet liquid from your vet and use it.

Drink lots of water. A properly hydrated body is able to produce more antihistamines.

Use Oral antihistamines.

Start getting exposed and building up your immune system in small doses at a time (but do it under a doctor's care). Visit a friend who has cats, or a pet store, for a few minutes every other day. See your doctor first before attempting this method. Or reverse it...take meds during your cat ownership, and back off the dosage a little at a time until you build up immunity (again, under a doctor's supervision, as anaphylactic reactions can be sudden and severe).

Keep windows open when possible.

Hopefully, you have wood and ceramic/laminate floors and no carpet.

YOUR BEST BET IS TO NOT GET A CAT THOUGH, and that is coming from a cat lover/owner. But I have no allergies.

7. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

This is my answer to cat allergies<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

8. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Trap,

I see people with allergic reactions everyday and have to do a good bit of counseling about it. The one thing I know, is that people that are allergic to cats have a terrible time with one around them. The allergic reaction is strong, much more so than pollen etc. My best advice is don't do it. It will lead to a long frustrating period. You will hate that cat for your misery, and you will ultimately get rid of it anyway. The kid's aren'g going to feel good about that. My suggestion, get a different pet. Dog allergies aren't as bad.

all the best,
    john

9. JLW

JLW TS Member

Vacuum the cat? Mine tolerates her tail getting sucked up the nozzle on occasion.

Start bathing the cat as a newborn kitten to get it used to it.-Jerald

Bumper snicker: So many cats, too few recipe's

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I think I am going to start a company called Bumper Snickers, and start selling funny stickers. That was too cool...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.