1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Car radio antenna trim

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Cooper, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooper

Cooper TS Member

Maybe I'm still stuck in the old days but....

I've got an Outlander that the radio just doesn't seem to get a good signal, of coarse the dealer says it sounds fine. I need to take it there when it's raining because then the signal really goes to crap. I asked the service guy if there was a trim adjustment for the antenna and he had no clue what I was talking about. I can remember being able to adjust the reception on radios when I was young by trimming the antenna, a screw inside the tape deck if I remember correctly. Is that something that can be done to modern radios? I've only got 17,000 miles on the car so it's still under warranty, I just need to get the service guy to hear what I hear, but if I can adjust it myself I would just to avoid the hassel of taking it back to the dealer.

Thanks,
    Don

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If the dealer is giving you the run-around, then just call Mitsubihi's (sp?) customer service number and explain to them what your concern/problem is and how your dealer has been handling it. You would be surprised what can happen especially if your courteous and professional.

ss

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

In all the radios I have removed, the antenna is just a male plug that fits into a female receptor. How long is your antenna? If its a short one go to autozone and get a big mother for 15 bucks. I did that in my truck, gets great reception.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Cooper

No user servicable parts inside. Think of the "radio" as a sealed unit that has only adjustments for tuning and sound adjusments on the front panel and/or remote. Externally accessible Trimmer pots/coils are not something they give a dealer service technician access to. If the "radio" has a problem, they send it out or replace the unit. The new radios don't have "tubes" anymore either. :) I'd be looking at the antenna base or cable. It could also just be atmospheric conditions in poor weather and/or a cheap radio.

5. rosies dad

rosies dad Member

Is the antenna built in the windshield? Maybe an external whip antenna would do the trick..

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Old analog radios had tuner adjustments inside the cassette door. Not anymore, digital radios today have no user fine tuning, hell most don't nave cassettes. Most satellite radios have to be called in on when the battery is disconnected now, to reset the radio.

Good luck.

Jerbear

7. Cooper

Cooper TS Member

I kind of figured since everything is solid state and digital these days there wouldn't be any adjustment. I will give the dealer another shot and then if nothing is resolved move up the chain.

Thanks all,
    Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.