1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

OT - CAMERA PURCHASE METHOD OPINIONS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by markostrunk, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

I would be extremely leery of "not so well know" NY electronic distributors. Most of them are unscrupulous. For my photo equipment I deal solely with B&H photo and Amazon. I've also heard good things about Adorama, Calumet, J&R and Ritz. You might find it convenient to check out the reputation of a particular store at:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/ Some of the comments will open your eyes.

I also would not buy a camera without a US warranty because you are up the creek if it breaks. You don't save very much buying grey market when you deal with a reputable company, so it's best to get a camera which has a guarantee. Every now and then this electronic wizardry falls flat. My Nikon D70 dSLR was once fixed for free by Nikon under guarantee, so I was happy it was not grey market.

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Me and my new wiife Staff Member

some times the lens don't intervhange properly and the warranty is the big think. just like rolex and others. no warranty

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

410mark

I have purchased from Adorama several times. USA warranty and straight up on every deal. Just got for christmas a Fuji S8100FD and love it. Don't call, they will try to sell you extra crap like all of them. ( the sales people are on commision so why not) Use the web it is very user friendly and pay with paypal. You will not be badgered and you will get it fast for as cheap as you can find it. Pay attention to their verbage, there may be a printable rebate also. They dont hide it, I got $30 off in rebates. Good people

4. cubancigar2000

I might add that the fuji 8100 is more camera than I expected, love it

5. pendennis

pendennis Active Member

I've bought from Adorama and B&H for years. Both are the cream of the mail order businesses.

USA - These products are warranted by the U.S. distributors of foreign-made products. Nikon USA warrants and repairs equipment distributed through them.

Avoid, like the plague, Abe's of Maine and others who offer unbelievable prices. Most of these places charge for "extras" like straps and batteries (which should have come with the camera).

There are a lot of shops out there which will meet B&H's price. Here in Michigan, I know of at least two. The sales taxes and shipping sometimes offset. However, the last things I bought from B&H were shipped free.

Gray Market - Products are imported through non-official importers. This frequently saves money, since you aren't paying for U.S. warranty support, advertising, etc. HOWEVER, the products, unless counterfeit, are warranted by the manufacturers, and you would have to deal directly with them in case of problems. B&H and Adorama will also sell you a warranty package on Gray Market imnports.

Right now, I own a Nikon D200, and it's a great camera. I use it, along with my F-5 and N90s. I couldn't ask for better equipment.

As with everything else, you get for what you pay.

Best,
    Dennis

6. cubancigar2000

Adorama ships free on most all cameras

7. BMC

BMC Member

B&H is usually number one on my list. I bought from Abe's before with no problems.

8. Bubba

Bubba TS Member

Nikon D90 Rocks. Even takes movies.

9. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Mash on the Digital Photography Review link for lot's of camera info. The Buying Guide/Side by Side comparison is great.

10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Active Member

I bought my last Nikon from Cameta.

They sent a different bag than shown in the pix and I called ans sent me the correct one NO HASSLE.

I would buy from Cameta again.

SW

11. jimx200

jimx200 TS Member

My gf bought a new D90 Nikon from Ritz 3 months ago, had sensor problem and had it replaced after using it for 2 months...no questions asked from Ritz...either money back or exact replacement. She is a dedicated photographer and Nikon fan, but starting to lose faith in her D90 as it now is showing funny colors on the LCD and freezing. This will likely be exchanged again as this is definitely not normal. For my purchases, it's all about service AFTER the sale...very hard to do with mail order verses just walking in and setting the problem item on the counter. In summary, the lowest price may not be the best price.

We both use www.dpreview.com as a source for reviews. Another good online store is Vans, a family business located in Montana...excellent customer service and will pretty much price match any of the New York stores. Years ago I had a not so good experience with a NY store...I spoke to sales rep, he was pushing hard for credit card number and did not want to answer a few questions I had about the Sony video camera. I ordered, waited a week, only to find out they were back ordered...BUT what really ticked me off was they charged my card. It took me almost 4 weeks to get the card credited with the help of my card company...so no NY buying for me...your mileage may vary.

12. kolarshooter

kolarshooter Member

ADORAMA is GREAT!!!
    Check out the Canon sti.
    I have had 2 nikons and prolblems with both. nikon never again !!!

Tom

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I like to buy from professionals. In AZ that's ColorMark. Always great pricing and selection. No hype just a lot of great information. Bought my D200 there and have taken their classes on this specific camera. Good folks.

14. CW638YORK

CW638YORK Member

Give PCNATION.com a try. I have used them with great results. Usualy free shipping ( 3 day fedex ). Always good to deal with. Awesome prices.

Good luck,

Chris

15. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Just bought a Nikon D 60 from us photo good price slow to ship. The D-60 does not show the picture you are taking on the screen. You have to aim like the 35mm. Where in a croud you can hold the camera above your head and see it in the screen to shot. Other then that a nice starter

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Active Member

I bought my Sony A100 DSLR from a local dealer who competed toe to toe with the big box retailers in Alberta and gives superb after the sale service and advice....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.