1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - cable tv, what a waste

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Caution this is an off topic thread.

Why am I spending hundreds of dollars a year for cable tv when there isn't a damn thing worth to watch on it?

Just spent the last half hour channel surfing and there is nothing worth watching. Thanks fo nothing Time Warner.

Here is their lineup: a couple of channels with fat people trying to eat 5lb hamburgers, another couple of channels of people making the 5 ft. pizza for the fat people on the first channel. A couple of channels of rich b****h housewives who do nothing but bitch and go to parties and get their hair, and nails done. A few more channels of fashion gurus dressing up ugly ducklings. Then we have the 3 or 4 house flipper channels. Does anybody believe any of those clowns could really drive a nail? Then we got a half dozen channels of tattoo people working to beat the DEADLINE in trucking, logging, motorcycling, etc....... IT HAS TO BE DONE BY 5 OR WE'LL LOSE OUR A**E* AND JOB. Really? Then there are a few channels of 24-7-365 football.

They did add another channel for the winter lineup though - tattoo clowns whom purchase storage units for $300 that have 100K in merchandise contained inside. I see that happened all the time don't you. People you have a 100 thousand dollar equipment stored in units that they can't pay $75 a month in rent so they let it go. Happens all the time, I'm sure.

Gotta go - some clown is going to try and eat a 10lb burrito, I gotta see that

2. twopipe

twopipe Member

and I thought it just sucked in Canada ! way more than 57 channels with nothing on

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The sad part is that it's all true. Don't blame your cable or satellite company, they don't produce that mindless junk. For every dumb show that you hate there are hundreds of thousands out there that think that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Personally I think it's all a plot by the tattoo industry to generate more business;-))

Eric

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

My wife and I watched a cooking show on the new Cooking Channel(DirectTV) called Bitchen' Kitchen. It was hilarious.

5. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Frank Zappa "I'm the slime oozing out of your TV set" Frank had it right on that one.

6. geeber

geeber Member

I agree with you guys. Have you ever tried watching a show on one of the regular channels with your grandkids? You thought it was safe when all of a sudden some guy starts talking about a four hour erection then some woman talks about her female itching. That crap shouldn't be on until the kids are in bed.
    Gary B.

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Commercials on tv are going to happen about every 10-12 minutes. So you can figure that there will be a commercial break at 12-24-36 & 48 minutes after the hour.

Pretty much every station follows that schedule. The reason is that if you're watching station "A" and a commercial comes on and you channel surf every other station will have commercials running also so you'll most likely go back to station "A".

One more item of interest is that in a one hour program 42 minutes is the show, the other 18 minutes is for commercials and other station use.

Eric

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I feel so sad for you guys. My cable company takes care of my telephone hook up, internet access, and 352 TV channels, most of which have no commercials. HMB

9. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

As a former broadcaster on the radio side of things...I can tell you that there are so many cable channels that the competition is fierce for the ad dollars so they show the same old movies over and over. In this Christmas season they know people are shopping or at parties so the new shows are few and far between because of production costs. Long ago, I subscribed to Netflix which is a better bang by far for the buck. Also have you noticed that you'll see the same commercial at least 3 times in 45 minutes? Its set up that way. First commercial you get a beer...second or third you go to the bathroom to get rid of the beer but that commercial will catch you at least in one of the three breaks and the ad agencies know this so its scheduled that way. Ed Nichols

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am tired of paying $140 per month for cable & internet. I can put up an antenna and get about 30 channels and buy internet for a lot less

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Been using Hulu and also the major networks internet sites to augment my cable TV viewing. The ESPN internet channel is also a favorite.

You can drop everything but basic cable as long as you won't miss TLC and Discovery as they are not prone to provide full episodes.

If your monthly bandwidth is not capped something to take a look at. But be warned, you can easily hit 1 GB a day plus if you do have a limit on bandwidth usage.

The free version of NetWorks is a good tool for monitoring bandwidth usage. You can set it to be invisible and does not slow your system.

12. geeber

geeber Member

I agree with you guys. Have you ever tried watching a show on one of the regular channels with your grandkids? You thought it was safe when all of a sudden some guy starts talking about a four hour erection then some woman talks about her female itching. That crap shouldn't be on until the kids are in bed.
    Gary B.

13. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Commercials on tv are going to happen about every 10-12 minutes. So you can figure that there will be a commercial break at 12-24-36 & 48 minutes after the hour.

Pretty much every station follows that schedule. The reason is that if you're watching station "A" and a commercial comes on and you channel surf every other station will have commercials running also so you'll most likely go back to station "A".

One more item of interest is that in a one hour program 42 minutes is the show, the other 18 minutes is for commercials and other station use.

Eric

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I feel so sad for you guys. My cable company takes care of my telephone hook up, internet access, and 352 TV channels, most of which have no commercials. HMB

15. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

As a former broadcaster on the radio side of things...I can tell you that there are so many cable channels that the competition is fierce for the ad dollars so they show the same old movies over and over. In this Christmas season they know people are shopping or at parties so the new shows are few and far between because of production costs. Long ago, I subscribed to Netflix which is a better bang by far for the buck. Also have you noticed that you'll see the same commercial at least 3 times in 45 minutes? Its set up that way. First commercial you get a beer...second or third you go to the bathroom to get rid of the beer but that commercial will catch you at least in one of the three breaks and the ad agencies know this so its scheduled that way. Ed Nichols

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am tired of paying $140 per month for cable & internet. I can put up an antenna and get about 30 channels and buy internet for a lot less

17. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Been using Hulu and also the major networks internet sites to augment my cable TV viewing. The ESPN internet channel is also a favorite.

You can drop everything but basic cable as long as you won't miss TLC and Discovery as they are not prone to provide full episodes.

If your monthly bandwidth is not capped something to take a look at. But be warned, you can easily hit 1 GB a day plus if you do have a limit on bandwidth usage.

The free version of NetWorks is a good tool for monitoring bandwidth usage. You can set it to be invisible and does not slow your system.

18. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Some of us don't have the option of putting up outside antennas where we live as in my case. Satellite is a no-no as I face the wrong direction and there's no place to mount one anyway. There's only one cable provider in this area but they have connection issues. So I'm on AT&T U-Verse fiber optical service for my tv & internet. Kind of pricy but it's the only game in town.

Eric

19. shelly

shelly TS Member

Hey Eddie, of those 40 channels you get for free, how many are in another language or religious channels? My mother gets that many or more, but most are useless.

20. capvan

capvan Active Member

We turned off cable TV about 2 years ago. We get some over-the-air Public TV, but that's about it. Netflix is really, really great. We get it streaming over the internet and never fail to find something to watch. Tons of old TV shows, BBC shows, movies, etc. Best $10 we've ever spent for a monthly service.

We also have hobbies, read a lot and actually talk to each other.

Don't miss the cable crap at all.

cap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.