1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Buying Furniture OT

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mixer, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Try "Rooms to Go" usually some good deals there.

Eric

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Try "Rooms to Go" usually some good deals there.

Eric

3. ctreay

ctreay Member

If you get serious about Ashley look it over very carefully. We visited a local store and looked at a bedroom set on the floor. We liked it and the price was good. They delivered the same model set in the boxes from thier stock room. There were several places where the joints were mismatched, one place where the lumber markers were still visable and a couple of outright jams on edges. Had a heck of a time getting it all straightened out.

ctreay

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You might also check out the used furniture stores that specialize in high quality furniture.

5. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Daughter also had trouble with Ashley. She bought dining room furniture and what was delivered was very poor quality furniture and not near the construction quality of what she saw on the showroom floor. She sent the whole mess back.

DoubleAuto

6. DickG

DickG TS Member

What Mixer said. We bought our furniture at Rooms to Go. Good quality, good prices, but not top of the line. Try Haverty's if you want premium. Prices are premium too.

7. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I know you are a long way from Illinois but my son sells most of his goods over the internet so you could check out his current holdings at The Furniture Lounge in Champaign, Urbana Illinois. They get stuff delivered anywhere. Dan

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Your not going to get much for 5-6 grand. Stay with the big box stores. That way, at least you've got someone to complain to when someting is not right.

9. smokestack

smokestack Member

Furniture mark up is very high, ask for a discount off the floor price in these terms 50/10/5 or 50/10/3 this is furniture sellers discount terminology. It equals sales price $1000.00 less 50% = $500.00 less 10% = $450.00 less 5% = 427.50 plus tax. Also have them give you free delivery.

Its like anything out there if you know the industry you have a better platform to negotiate from.

I deal in commercial furniture and office furniture, residential is pretty much the same beast, just a little more cutthroat. Remember they don't want you to leave the store without buying, they will work with you if they really want the sale. Also remember they have competitors right down the street. Did I say get free delivery!

The sales guy or gal works on commission and makes nothing if you walk!

Paul

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Buy the best quality you can afford.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Read internet reviews on Direct Buy. It is not good

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I am so glad to read some of the comments on this thread. I haven't read them all yet but the ones wondering if what they have on the floor is the same as what they deliver is something I have wondered about myself for a long time. A couple of years ago I splurged and bought a really nice leather sofa and recliner from an upscale store. We got it home and was so proud of it. But after a couple of months, neither one of us wanted to say it but we both started feeling like this wasn't quite what we paid for. Maybe just buyers remorse I thought but then I brought it up and found she thought the same. Funny thing is while at the store I asked the salesman if they would sell me the floor sample because it fit and felt perfect. He said they never sell the floor samples. HMMM wonder why?

After closely looking I am seriously wondering if they don't do a bait and switch. Not a huge difference but enough to boost their bottom line a bunch.
    I think I'll do some more investigating and take a trip back to the furniture store.

Years ago Service Merchandisers, ( yeah I know I know but I was 19} Sold me a beautiful set of 1 crt eartings for my finacee, They did do the bait and switch but I was young and by the time I say the difference she had them on and I was stuck. Glad the bastards went out of business. I learned a lot since then.

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Make it simple; buy Stickley furniture used from eBay. Your great grandkids will inherit that furniture!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.