1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Buying a Road King....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by K-GUNS, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Go with him to the bank that holds the lein/title. Payoff and put in your name asap.

2. mt

mt Member

its worth the bus ride, make it an adventure....get the bike checked out at the local harley dealer...they don't charge too much for the service...and if sound purchase it there so you know its free and clear of any problems....and then enjoy the ride home.

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

Have you considered getting the loan company information from the seller and contacting the loan company about a direct payoff? I am sure they have dealt with situations like this before and can tell you exactly what you might want to do to pay them and get the title of the bike.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

What's the difference between a Harley and a Hoover?
    Placement of the dirtbag!

5. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I think you guys are referring to the AMF Harleys of yesteryear.

ed.

6. raptor1956

raptor1956 TS Member

Go for it! Just picked up my new 2007 Electra Glide Classic yesterday and promptly put 150 miles on it. I had forgotten how good it feels to ride. Go ahead and spend the extra money and buy a new one. That way you know what you are getting. Harley is currently offering 2.9 and 4.9 % interest on new bikes.

7. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

I just got a new RoadKing. I took it and am having it triked (Lehman)out now. It had all of 55 miles on it when I took it to the shop yesterday

8. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Congrats. I have an '02 Fatboy. A Roadking for that price is an excellent deal. I would want to get the transferred title in my hand unless you know the seller personally. Other considerations. Cashiers checks and money orders don't totally clear for 2 days. I never knew that, but your seller might and might not want to clear title until then. A cash transfer at a bank might help. Bottom line it might be worth a drive out there or have him come to you.

all the best,
    john

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Lisa

Buy the 07, you will get a 6 speed and bigger motor. Those are very well worth the difference and the resale will be better. $22,000 is $4000 too much, you can do better. For example ( Barnett Harley in El Paso will pay for your flight and sell it much less) also others will do the same. If I knew where you are located I could point you to a better deal. I have two Harleys and have been riding for a long time, just finished a short trip ( 3700 miles) The Road King is the right one, just look for a better deal

10. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Great suggestions and only one or two snide remarks!! Congrats to you Lisa and to civility in general. I suggest the `07 also, but that is a fair deal if title is clear to you.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Lisa
    This is factory list on Roadking, the most you should have to pay above that is setup $300-$500

MSRP

Vivid black $17,345

Color $17,700

Two-tone $18,055

Custom color N/A

Anodized N/A

Wheel Option $450

Chrome Engine Covers Option N/A

H-D® Factory Security System $325

ESPFI Standard

California Emissions

ESPFI $100

Freight (applies to the 48 contiguous states and Alaska only) $335

Measurement

12. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

OK. What are the accessories for 3K?. Did they do a stage one or two hop up for 1500 and add different pipes. Probably. More chrome. I'll guarantee that if you buy a new bike you will quickly spend at least another 1500 for the stage one. So when everybody sees a better price in an 07 you better add that $1500 into your price. Is the 6 speed trans worth doing the 07? That might be. Will you be happy with the 5 speed. Sure. Will you make any more on resale either way? I doubt it. While Harley's retain good resale. They don't hold the value they did a few years ago when nobody could get one.

all the best,
    john

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Have 2. #14 '03 Fatboy,#15 '06 Street Glide. Buy whatever grabs your eye or you won't be happy. The '07 engine is comparable to an '06 with a big bore. Is the 6th gear needed? Hasn't been up to now, but it's nice on the interstate. Normal driving, you'll never get out of 5th gear. I did't put a big bore on either of my last bikes. Felt I didn't need it. Are you gonna do long trips, haul anyone, do you love horsepower? If so get the new '07. My wife and I go on a 9-10 hour trip or 2 every year. Were fine with the stock '06. The Road King is not a steal, but it's a good deal. Depends what the chrome consist of.

14. Rottweil72

Rottweil72 TS Member

Rented a new 2007 Ultra Classic with all the bells and whistles while I was visiting in Florida, -- did not like it!! The rear cycl. ran way too hot at the stop lights -- cooked your rear end!! Did not like the 6 th. gear! My wife had to get off every 30 to 40 miles to stretch -- just did not hit her in the back right.
    The 2007 stock is leaned out for EPA -- motor is not smooth like the Heritage!

I still like my Yamaha Royal Star Venture better -- it is a bigger bike, longer wheel base, more room for my big feet! -- and a 5 yr. warranty

Resale on H.D. in this part of the country has come way down. Take a look at sales on E-bay -- bids are not what they used to be.

Bill

15. jtf650

jtf650 Member

I wouldn't want this to be construed as encouraging anyone to buy a Harley, but if you're concerned about lifting a dropped bike, check out the link above, in which a 5'3" 118 lb. woman demonstrates the technique for picking up a dropped bike. Granted, with the BMW the cylinder and saddlebag are levering the bike up a bit, but the technique is still useful to know. James Fawcett

16. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

A new 2007 is a far better buy at their list price than a used one for 16K, forget the accessories.Buy from a local dealer, you may need him later.

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I too have forgotten what its like to really ride,..unfortunantly I remember all too well what its like to be run over and crashed into...I have a collector Brit bike in my garage,..but its just for an occasional putt down to 7-11 for milk or bread

18. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

Holy Cow. $$ figures like that for a motorcycle? The economy must be better than I think. You bikers be sure to vote Republican next election.

19. Chip

Chip TS Member

Unless you buy a V-Rod you are not going to be dealing with "horsepower" i.e. fast acceleration out of the 96" motor. It is better than the 88" but Harley's big twins are heavy, ride great on the highway and they look and sound good. However fast they are not. It's kind of funny to listen to the derogatory comments often made towards the Sportster. A touring bike it is not but the stock 1200 will outperform (cornering and acceleration) every other model Harley makes except the V-Rod.

There have been many complaints of the 96" motor putting out more heat and making the rider uncomfortable. I recall reading Harley has or is trying to address that.

Gone our the days of waiting to buy a H-D bike. Now just like any other vehicle a low milage high condition used bike will be a better choice financially. This especially important in climates where your toy or investment will be sitting in the garage or storage for many months of the year.

Harley's are great and they are fun but they are marketed. Harley sells and image and lifestyle. I believe there is some truth in the old adage "you can get twice the bike at half the price". Some of the Jap big twin cruisers offer a lot for much less money.

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Just purchased a Yamaha 100 "V" Star. Beauiful bike, low and long. 1/2 the price of a Soft-tail. Which I've owned. If your not into the HD lifestyle, which HD does a great job selling, the Jap bikes are fine machines at at least 1/2 the priceof a comparable HD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to buy a road king