1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Buying a new vehicle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starshot2b, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I did not want to hijack the Toyota Tundra thread, but I could use some help and that thread was interesting to read. I'm also in the market for a new (or newer) vehicle and want to know exactly what the dealer pays for what I'm after and then, how do I negotiate from there?

I absolutely hate car shopping with a passion, but it's a necessary evil and I need to get going on it.

In any case, I'm looking at 3-4 different mid-size 4WD SUV's. Once I narrow it down, where do I go to find out some dealer dollar info on what I want (with the options I want, etc) and then where do I go from there.

What websites provide the best information that you can actually use?

TIA for any info.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My method with a new car is to shop, kick tires, test drive, and ignore most of the trash the salesman cares to say. Once that's over and I've picked out the vehicle I want to talk about, I stop the salesman's chatter and tell him point blank, "I'm interested in Car X. If you want to sell it to me, you WILL bring me the dealer's invoice and I'll buy it for $300 over that. If you can't handle this decision yourself, you WILL take it to a supervisor and come back with a 'yes' or 'no'! If this can't be handled this simply, tell me now and save both of us a lot of time and frustration." If you have a vehicle you want to trade in it works this way, "You give me low book on my car and I'll give you $300 over invoice for the new one." Then limit further negotiations as above. Now, the Dealer Invoice is NOT what the dealer pays for his new vehicle because he gets a discount from the factory based on his activity with the factory. So, they are NOT giving a car away at invoice while certainly making some money to pay the electricity, water, garbage, a portion of the sales person's pay (not the whole month) so don't fall for feeling badly for making this deal. Either it flies or get the heck out of the showroom. I've also found the small town dealers are more likely to buy your deal without a hassle than the big guys with all their bluster and a deal during the last week or day or two of the month will also press them for a quick decision.....Bob Dodd

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Test drive the various vehicles that you are interested in buying. Decide which one you prefer over the others. Spec it out the way you want it equipped and then go to the dealers that you would prefer to buy from. Make sure that the price they give you is for the vehicle that you specked out. Try a couple well outside your local area (for example, small towns outside the area that you live in).

Give the dealer with the best reputation and after sale service the last shot, as I suspect that is who you would prefer to deal with. Bill Malcolm

4. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Great info here, one other thing (it's going to sound dumb).

Should I leave the husband home? Seems every time we go to get ME a vehicle (I'm driving it and paying for it), they always direct everything to HIM. I had a really bad experience with our local Toyota dealer - the guy insisted that I call my husband to come in as he wanted to talk to him. They always do that and to be honest, it pisses me off. I know what I want and they never listen to me, even though my husband says talk to her - it's her vehicle! One of the major reasons I hate car shopping.

Any good ways to handle this?

5. gusto777

gusto777 Member

Starshot . . Go to consumerreports.org . . . once on their website you can order a New Car Report that shows you exactly what the dealer pays for a vehicle. The report costs $14.00. It includes dealer's cost for options. It also lists rebates and dealer incentives and holdbacks. I've ordered these reports for the last 2 new cars I've purchased and have saved thousands of dollars. I would not buy a new car without one.

Hope you enjoy your new ride.

6. skip

skip Member

Don't give car salesmen the pleasure of your presence at the dealership. The most difficult part of selling a car is getting someone interested in buying a car to visit their property. Then the bull starts flying.

"Tell me Mr. Sucker are you ready to buy today?" What a crock of baloney.

Never give a salesman you car keys or drivers license, they will accidentally on purpose loose them so you cant walk out of a deal.

Visit the yard after it closes and write down the information on the vehicle of interest.

Use E-Mail for all your correspondence eliminating the need to negotiate face to face with salesmen. More and more dealerships are on board with INTERNET sales, much easier to make offers.

I'd rather get a polio shot than have to deal with a car salesmen.

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Everything that you ever wanted to know about prices and costs for new and used vehicles!

http://www.kbb.com

8. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

If you have a Costco card you can get a quote through them and save a lot of money. A friend went to a local Dodge dealer and got their best price on a new truck and then went through Cosco and bought the same truck for $2500.00 less than the original quote.

Clyde

9. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

SATURN

The dealers won't deal the price is the price.

The customer satisfaction is the highest rated in the reviews that I did look at.

Rock

Jim

10. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Thank you gentlemen very much. I appreciate that you took the topic seriously and provided some awesome and useful information for me.

Sherree

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I second http://www.kbb.com Ray.......

12. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

If anyone is looking for a Saturn in Chicago ,Look up Saturn of Schaumburg .Great sales personal also service .Mike Gerki in sales and Dave Rolley in service.Great place todo biz .....Chuck

13. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

Just bought a Honda Pilot 2 months ago. Very nice SUV it gets 23 mpg and has a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty and they threw in tires for life. Very roomy vehicle. Darren

14. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

The Pilot is on my list of vehicles to check out, along with the Highlander, RX330/35, X5 & Veracruz. First time in 20 years I won't be getting a Chevy or GMC. I hate car shopping. :)

15. MAXP

MAXP TS Member

Wow 20-25% off MSRP! It doesn't sound like you want them to actually go home with a vehicle.

16. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

What ever you decide to get do these things first. Check with the insurance first and see how much it will cost to insure that car. Each car is different and you will be surpriced to see how much it is. Ask the insurace agent how is it in a crash, repair even ask your shop person.

17. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Sherree,

The link abouve has some interesting info on this subject.

Also, edmunds.com is another source for the dealer's invoice price.

18. Wayne In ny

Wayne In ny TS Member

Try this site also.

19. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Check out "What Car Dealers Won't Tell You" by Bob Elliston
    and "Don't Get Taken Every Time" by Remar Sutton.
    Easy reads and details all of the "games" dealers play and ways to get the best deal. First tip from both books is "never be a payment shopper"
    PG

20. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Sherree, a daughter and my wife, independently, came home with Highlanders a year or so ago. I thought they were marvelous cars, sensible, roomy for my blossoming frame, economical. The daughter's was a hybrid. The daughter hated it from the get go because of the weird sensations accelerating and all with the hybrid. But I found it really sensible, powerful, and solid. The wife was in love with the 4 runner and thought the Highlander "woud do." She found fault with most everything about the Highlander until I "permitted" her to replace it. I find the 4 runner more expensive, less roomy for tall people, not one whit more storage space, but, of course, the 4 runner is more of the "classic" Toy shape and all. I find no need for 4WD and would have kept the Highlander happily. Try them both....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.