1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Buying a car online?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 635 G, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Many years ago I bought a car, without going to a dealer, it was great. Has anyone bought a car online---what was the outcome--looking for pluses & or minuses

Lou

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

A friend of mine got an outrageous deal on a 2006 Viper on ebay motors. He called the guy up and offered him $61,000 to end the auction. The dealer declined and he ended up getting it for $53,000.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I bought an 06 F150 xlt 8 months old for $15500.00. Some rental companies list them and like on ebay you make an offer. My truck had 9000 miles on it when I got it and been super getting 21 MPG on the highway driving 62 MPH. My payment was handled by my credit union with certified check. Vehicle was picked up in Atlanta and delivered to me in Blackshear which was included in the price. It was a green light vechicle which guaranteed there was nothing wrong with the vehicle unless stated. The identical vehicle was selling locally for $23000.00 so I was very satisfied with the deal. Jackie B.

4. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

What is a "green light vehicle"?

5. tandemdude

tandemdude TS Member

I bought a mustang off of Ebay about four years ago, and it was a great deal. The guy lived about a hundred miles from me, he met me half way, I paid him, and my wife is still driving it, and just loves the car. Norm

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Snap, read it again. It's a guarantee that vehicle is in excellent condition unless stated otherwise. No scratches, dents, not a rebuild etc. Even covers the tires. When I received my truck it had a different brand and size spare tire. They sent me a check for $150.00 to replace the tire. Jackie B.

7. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

635G,

I am currently driving my third ebay car. I bought a Mercedes 560SEL in 2002 and drove it for 4 years with no trouble. Shipped car from dealer by truck after I paid a local mechanic $100 to go look it over. He said the car was as offered and I bought it for well under the market price.

The second car, again a Mercedes was just as nice and I purchased from a well respected MB dealer in St. Louis. Once again exactly the car I wanted and I still have it. No problems.

My curent driver a 2005 S-55 Mercedes was purchased from a dealer on ebay about 6 months ago. I paid a very fair price and again I sent a local mechanic from the MB dealer to look at the car for me ($200) and it checked out fine. Trucked the car here for $700.

If you buy a car online (ebay) you have to know what you are looking for and what the car would realisticly sell for in your home town. If you are only saving a few hundred dollars I'm not so sure it would be worth it. All three cars I purchased from ebay dealers were from highly rated ebay users. I figure I saved many thousands of dollars and the couple of hundred I paid the independant maechanics was money well spent.

Hope this helps you out.

Best of luck, Bob Schultz

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Shooting Jack, what engine size does that P/U have?

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If you know what you are doing its not a problem but if you don't you will have a problem buying one even while your standing there looking at it ... You can get independant people to inspect them for you which is usually a good idea because that person is working for you and is your eyes and ears ... I bought my Hot Rod off of EBay and its was just as described by the seller and my Independent inspection service so there were no surprises when it got here ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Severial years ago I bought a new Concord on line. I got the price I wanted and it was delivered to my house. Great deal.

11. pdq

pdq Member

I buy S class Mercedes from MB dealerships when they are 5 - 6 years old, covered by their comprehensive StarMark warranty program at typically 1/3rd of original sticker price. The last one I bought was a '98 S500 when it was 5 years old with 45k miles on it. Found it on MBUSA's website which shows inventory across the country. What was originally a $92k car new, I purchased from a MB dealership for $32k in Houston (I'm near Philly) and had it flatbedded to me for $600. Less expensive than similar cars in my area. The car was so nice that they had it inside on the showroom floor surrounded by new stock (I had a friend in Houston check it out). For $2k I extended the StarMark to 3 years, out to 100k miles. I've now driven the car for approaching 5 years, and have 130,000 miles on it.

Great car, and with it qualifying for StarMark you are assured that it has no significant damage, and that everything works per spec. And, the warranty is the same coverage as their new car plan, so if something starts to go wrong, they fix it for free and give you a free loaner car to use.

Pete

12. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Make sure you run a carfax on it...cheap way to check if any previous damage. www.carfax.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.