1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Buried 1957 Plymouth

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kehrby, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Since there are so many old car nuts on this forum I thought I would post this here. See the link above. A 1957 Plymouth Belvedere was buried in Tulsa OK in 1957 as a time capsule to be opened in 2007. Well on June 15th they are going to dig it up. Kind of exciting. I learned about this a couple of years ago and just happened to remember it. Personally I think its going to be a hunk of rust but I hope I'm wrong.

Steve

2. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

your tellin me you didn't dig it up when you heard about it? lol just kiddin. sounds pretty neat i dunno how much a that thing is gonna be left its been sitting for 50 years under ground and i don't think the concrete would hold up to that much vibrations and stress for 50 years.

3. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Remember the Russian T 34 tank they pulled out of a pond in eastern Europe about a yr ago? Estonia? One "Tank" or another!! Should be fun!

4. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I just found another website that says Boyd Coddington is going to be there to try to get the thing started. That ought to be a trip. I've only ever seen his show a couple of times because he seems to be a real jerk.

Steve

5. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Interesting...I went to the "buried car" website and looked at the message board and found a thread where they were discussing how much of the car would be left when it is unearthed. Some pretty interesting speculations, see it Here.

-Jollytrapshooter

6. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

OK has less rain then some area's. It has been sealed in a concret case. It could come out looking alright because of no sunlight or weather.

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

1957 Plymouth ? No big deal. I am going to make an exploratory dig this summer for a Steam locomotive that was buried in 1885 after a big train wreck. I am 99% sure where it is buried. Luckily it is on a piece of property that I own next to an abandoned railway. It is the New York Centrals # 470. I will try to keep everyone informed. Maybe I'll sell it on ebay. Worth at least 10k for scrap. Larry Evans

8. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

Burying the '57 Plymouth was probably a good move. The first new auto I ever bought was a '57 Plymouth, worst POS I ever owned. Wish I had buried mine. Don

9. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I think an earlier post stated that the car was vacuum sealed in a large paper bag, then encased in an air-tight vault??

Can't remember exactly, but I think they also had the locals place guesses in the car as to how much gas would cost in 2007. The one closest, or their survivors, would then win the car!

I remember a Wake-Up station back in '57 that was selling gas for $.29. They had a manual pump. You ordered by the gallon. The attendant would pump the gas into a glass portion of the pump to whatever gallonage you wanted, then it gravity flowed into your auto.

You could choose from an assortment of prizes they had in a glass case with a certain amount of gas purchased. I remember we had almost a complete set of dinner plates.

Remembering............

Danny

10. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

They are giving the car away but it is to the person who most closely guessed the population of Tulsa in 2007 or their decendants.

Steve

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I would imagine that even in a air tight vault a 57 Plymouth could rust being as they were rust buckets ... The real "ground pounders" didn't come out of Mopar until the early 60's and continued until the early 70's when they got ugly again ... The "B" bodies with big blocks ruled when Mopar came out with the factory race cars and then the A/FX cars with the injected Hemi's ... Having raced a 1969 Dodge Dart with a big block in it I can attest to the fact that them cars were scary when you grabbed a hand full of it and it tripped the 60 foot lights with the back wheels ... Ahhh, those were the days ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

nspktr,

You are 100 % correct as well as the 413 Street Rams which is what the 426 Wedge is based on ... I ran an 440 RB block that was mildly massaged to 498 Cubic Inches by Koffel Racing out of Walled Lake, Mich ... The real crowd pleasers were the A/FX cars with the Hemi's and there were a bunch of them ... The Dart that I ran sounded like it was a lot bigger than it was when you put your foot in it and twisted them big Goodyears (33x14.50x15) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

My first new car was a '57 Plymouth Savoy 2dr hardtop. Had a small V-8 and std Tx. No power anything. I don't recall any major problems. Traded it in on a '59 Sport Fury with power, air and a push button Tx. And how about those tail fins???

14. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

If you're old enough to remember '57 Plymouths, you may remember that they rusted through in about two years and that was above ground. This car has been stored @ 100% relative humidity for 50 years. I'll bet they have to shovel it up.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I doubt it. Requires shovel and labor.

HM

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I looked at the website. They have already peeked into the vault to make sure there would be no nasty surprises. They say the vault is in good shape. The car is wrapped in something called styrolene.
    From a 1957 ad promoting the burial:
    the Plymouth was chosen because it was "an advanced product of American industrial ingenuity with the kind of lasting appeal that will still be in style 50 years from now."

17. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

WPT why would a 57 Plymouth be a rust bucket as you state? It seems to me the care you gave your car was a major factor in how it would hold up. My first car was a 57 Plymouth in 1966. That car was in beautiful shape. So nice in fact that one of my friends was so impressed with it he showed up a few days later with a 58 Fury with the rare one year only 350 two four B block car. That car was like new. And to top it of we live in Minnesota were they spread salt on the roads all winter long. The only complaint I can make about the 57 I had is that it had a 3 speed stick and with that 318 two four engine it was very hard on transmissions.

Sure would like to see a picture of that dart you had doing those wheel stands.

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

WhizBang

Plymouth was known for self destructing to the elements in the 50's and even Mopar got concerned when my Grandfather kept coming back to the dealer with rust issues on the one he had ... Granted, if you took or had the time to care for the car you probably had better luck than a lot of people in the rust department ... I'll dig the pictures out of me and My Dart and scan some of them one of these days so I can post them ... I actually gave the car to a family member figuring it was going to stay in the family for a long long time ... The Nephew made it streetable and though he don't mention it, I think he sold it for some big bucks ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. 682LINY

682LINY Member

hate to tell you Boyd would have a hard time starting a lawn mower with out his (enginers) mechanics helping him,,,mite design some nice stuff ,,,but he dont know a brake bleeder from a grease fitting

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

not much longer to go!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.