1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Burial or cremation?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

Guys, I know this is WAY off of trapshooting but my wife and I have been discussing making a will and each others burial wishes. I'm from the south originally (AR) and all my past relatives are buried in a church cemetary dating back to the 1840's. I hate to break the tradition but I recently have been considering being cremated and having my ashes scattered in my favorite musky lake in N. Wis. I realize this is a very personal issue but it seems like more people ARE choosing cremation over burial. Is this just a regional thing? Also my kin folk visit the graves regularly and tend to the graves with much love and respect but it seems like that doesn't happen much in N. IL. My MIL hasn't been to her parents grave site since they died 10 years ago.

2. rick resko

rick resko TS Member

My family is aware of my wishes. iI actually used to sell caskets to funeral homes. My wish is cremation. Half of my ashes are to be spread around the hill i have hunted deer on for 30 years. The other half are to be dumped overboard in the rips off Montauk Point NY. on a striped bass charter. They better not dissapoint me.

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

The cost of a funeral has gone up to the point that cremation should be considered. The funeral home industry has become a racket. Service Corporation of American had bought up 60+% of the funeral homes and cemeteries and have run the cost up. I paid as much for my Fathers funeral in 1996 as I paid for my Mothers in 2008. The difference was we used a SC service for my Father and an independent for my Mother.

Its you choice. do what you want to do. Remember no one will complain anyway you won't be around to hear them.

T

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Doesn't really make a lot of sense to pay big bucks for a nice box that is put in a hole in a little patch of ground that you also have to pay big bucks for.

I would rather be converted to ash and let my family keep whatever remained of my estate.

I actually worry more about what will become of my gun collection more than what they do with my useless body.

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

Ashes for me with some to be loaded with #8 shot and used as a trapshooters sendoff and the rest scattered along the Blue Ridge. At least that is my wishes.

--- Chip King ---

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Whichever is cheaper. Why would I care?

Ajax

7. atanra

atanra Member

Cremation then put ashes in a cemetary. under a very basic marker. I too live away from where I want to be placed so it is easy to travel with an urn. a scoop of dirt or two dispose of ashes and it is done. They will break down to dust in the ground . Easier to plow under than a vault and no DNA trail behind.How would you like to have been a trapshooter whose ashes were spread at Vandalia so he could be near trapshooting. LOL

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Cremation and ashes scattered at Birmingham Gun Club. This way, my friends would be forced to visit me.

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Cremated, both of my folks were cremated, I even dug my Dad's burial spot, used a post auger

My epitaph will be "Ashes to ashes dust to dust the fat guy paid for a big beer bust, drink up my friends"

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

7-1/2's

My wife is going to put me in a large trash bag, haul out to the curb, next to the dumpster she is going to put all my guns, ammo and reloading stuff in.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Whatever seems like the thing to do at the time........I don't care, I'll be dead.

12. revbook

revbook Member

Creamation...burn baby burn!

13. Baber

Baber TS Member

Tron...

Just like you to have one last blast of HOT AIR.

T

14. RMR

RMR Member

We had to burry my 90 year old father last winter- the funeral cost with a very modest casket was close to 12K - and we didnt have to pay for a burial plot as he was burried in a Military cemetery free of charge since he served as an officer in WW2, Korea and Vietnam. He was a very practicle man and I know he would have thought it was a huge waste of $$ on my mothers part. The entire time as I was buying the oak casket all I could think of is this thing is going to deteriorate into nothing over the next 4-5 yaers.

For me - I decided I want to be creamated. Want 1/2 of my ashes burried under a new ponderosa pine sappling overlooking our home and land in the mountains near Helena MT. 1/4 of my ashes scattered along the upper Madison river where I caught my first rainbow trout on a flyrod ( and hence became the name for my oldest daughter) and the other 1/4 spread along the banks of the southfork of the flathead river, at the convergence of Young's and Danahar creeks in the Bob Marshall wilderness. I always tease my wife and 2 daughters that the later request will be my last act of definace as they will all have to ride a horse about 32 miles over the continental divide to get my ashes to the river and then camp out and do a return ride to get out - they all hate camping and riding horses.

15. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Cremation and then be in interred at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (AKA the Punchbowl) thats located in Honolulu, that way my wife will come see me... Grubby

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Vern, that's one of the best yet. Too funny, I guess they're all shoppers :)

17. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

I have had my first English setter bird dog cremated. I will do the same with the second one when his time comes. I plan on being cremated, then all our ashes mixed together and spead around in my favorite woodcock covert. No better way to spend eternity.

18. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Cremation for me. No wake or reviewal. Why waste the money? Nobody really wants to see my corpse anyway. That way my son can bury me by digging the hole with an auger.

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Wive and I will be cremated and scattered in any wonderful site in the Sierras; likely in the general area of Tahoe......breakemall

20. avery53

avery53 Member

Cremated, with ashes buried with my beloved Britt's. Couldn't ask for better company!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.