1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Burglary - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Unsingle, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

My brother-in-law has lived on a farm in southeast Kansas all of his life. Everyone in the family works or goes to school in town. About a week ago, when they got home, they found their house had been burglarized. The house was trashed, and anything of value was stolen from the house and outbuildings. They stole computers, cameras, guns, safe, roto-tiller, air compressor, just about everything. They were devastated. Yesterday, they came home and they were hit again. This time they stole the washer/dryer, TV, and freezer. Before they stole the freezer, they throw all the meat on the floor. The house is now almost empty. The sheriff said it appeared the burglars drove into the yard with a pickup and trailer. I know as soon as they replace everything, the burglars will be back.

Living in town, I have some ideas how to prevent this, but I don’t know what to suggest to them. Any ideas would be appreciated

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I think I'd hide a few security cameras and recording equipment that couldn't be seen or found. The thieves know the families daily schedule pretty good to have such balls! I hope they catch the bastards! I lost all my guns and several other items years back to such thieves myself. Hap

3. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

MY HOUSE WAS ROBBED A WEEK BEFORE XMAS AND WE WERE DEVASTATED. PRESENTS UNDER THE TREE, GUNS, SAVINGS BONDS, COIN COLLECTIONS EVERYTHING OF VALUE. WE PUT IN AN ALARM SYSTEM, SINCE WE INSTALLED IT OUR HOUSE WAS ATTEMPTED 4 TIMES BUT NOTHING WAS TAKEN....MONEY WELL SPENT. i HAVE A NEIGHBOR THAT IS ALWAYS IN MY BUSINESS SO I GOT TO PIECES OF 2X6 AND GLUED THE FRONT OF A FLASH LIGHT HEAD ON THE FRONT. PUT A RED LED LIGHT ON THE FRONT MOUNTED IT ON MY TV ANTENNA AND SHE HAS BEEN LIKE A CHURCH MOUSE EVER SINCE.

4. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Unisingal - Burglaries and other types of thefts are "crimes of opportunity." I am not an expert, but here are my thoughts on this topic.

A key phrase in the area of crime prevention is called "target hardening." Think of your property as a big bullseye. Using the concept of "target hardening" your objective is to make that big bullseye smaller, by taking steps to make it harder to commit this crime. Things to consider are as follows:

#1. Some law enforcement agencies will conduct "security surveys" of your property at no cost. They will examine such items as;

(a) appropriate locks on your doors and windows. Are these locks deadbolts, and are these deadbolts and other locking mechanisms secured with one inch screws etc?

(b) Lighting. Since many of these crooks operate at night, they will try to avoid places that are lit up at night. Lights that are activated by motion detectors work well. Keep several exterior lights on, and have them set on timers. When you are away, have some interior lights set on timers to give the appearance that you are home.

(c) Alarm systems. They are only as good as the company that installs or services the system. If you are in a rural area, geese or any type of dog that barks will serve as an excellent alarm system.

(d) Neighborhood Watch - In a rural area this may be difficult. However, neighbors watching out for neighbors and calling law enforcement upon observing suspicious persons or activities is a big thing. Once again, your local law enforcement agency may be able to assist in setting this up.

(e) Securing valuables. Don't put firearms on display in a glass type cabinet. Use a safe, and record the serial numbers of firearms, televisions etc. If you have other valuable items such as jewelry, make sure that they are secure and that you can provide law enforcement with a good description of these items.

Good luck to you and your family.

Dave

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Any alarm system that uses the telephone system to contact the police/security company is only as good as the wire cutters the burglers use to cut the phone line. My alarms all use a cell phone as the primary means of contact.

Morgan

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Tell them to move into town. No matter what they do they will never be able to leave there home without worrying what will be stolen while they are gone.

They could also get an maxicany to stay at home hidden in a closet so that when they leave he can come out and guard with intent orders to shoot anyone who enters.

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

pointer,

The only thing you've said that has any credibility at all is...

<I>"...The idea is not to catch them in the act (though it would be nice),but to prevent the act, and with an alarm on a remote home, your police response time would not help...."</i>

Burglary crimes are increasing in number and burglars are smarter than you seem to imagine or else you've been watching too many burglar alarm commercials.

<I>"Signs that clearly state you have an alarm system; you really don’t need the alarm system. Most are junk, and cause you problems, In fact it’s better if they can’t see it. 99% of turds will not try a home with an alarm sign. 1% of turds think they can disable an alarm, but if they can’t see it, and think it’s there they are going to go away too.... Posting a professional notice that indicates an alarm system will make them take your home of the list of easy targets."</I>

Posting a sign on your property can serve to simply make it easier for the burglar to determine how your alarm needs to be bypassed. And as to your statistics regarding the effectiveness of alarms at deterring a crime, I think you simply pulled numbers out of the air. Burglars are aware of what kind of police protection an area has and how long they will have before they risk capture. Casualty statistics show that the majority of residential break-ins are not reported by neighbors even if they are witnessed and that police response is unpredictable at best. While some burglaries are indeed crimes of opportunity, I think that even you would be impressed by the number of times burglars plan their crimes well.

Morgan

8. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Central station alarm is the best way to go. They have specials running all the time for about $100 for the system installed. That’s with a monthly subscription. I think we pay ADT about $40. If an alarm goes off and the proper code is not punched in, the sheriff is called. The signs they give you for out side are a good deterrent as well. You can also get some really slick motion activated cameras that can even notify your computer when they are set off.

Above is the right thing to do. Now I’m going to tell you what I’d really like to do if it were my house. I’d go out and replace all the stuff. I’d make sure I made a spectacle of moving all the good stuff in over several days. I’d do this assuming that the thief knows my schedule and has been watching. At the same time I’d find a back way into the home. I’d have to take a vacation to set this up, but I’d leave every day just as normal. I’d make sure that I was not seen taking my back entrance into the home. Then I’d make sure that the first thing attractive to steal was an unloaded handgun on a table near his normal entrance point. My story, “officer he had a gun, I was afraid for my life, I had no choice”.

9. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Good alarm system, good locks, big dog. These can all be defeated, one way or another, but burglars look for the easiest pickings, and will go on down the road.

10. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

What Strait174rr said is VERY true. More often than not, its neighbors or someone that lives in the immediate area. Get cameras and an alarm system. Good luck.

Eric

11. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

A cellular phone based alarm system which rings at police headquarters and a concealed blow-out strip placed across the driveway when you leave. Put it in a place where casual visitors (and you) will not drive over it but where the thieves will likely go to load on your stuff. As they try to figure out how they are going to repair 4 flat tires (or more), the police will arrive and put an end to their criminal careers. Now, if only you could find a judge who will sentence them to an appropriate prison term instead of sympathizing with these "poor, disadvantaged citizens".

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'd prefer identities,license numbers etc. from a hidden video camera. The details from the first burglary could be worked out at the police station. Then, there's a chance of getting back some of the stolen items from the first? Hap

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Bug the house and monitored, have video of the perimeter and if all else fails and your in the home get one of these.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LsV50T5uEyw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LsV50T5uEyw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Jerbear

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Anyone know of a source of window stickers that claim the house is protected by an alarm system? I do have a semi-pet skunk that I feed every evening, but I am not sure if he works when I am gone on a shooting trip.

Pat Ireland

15. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

During the holiday season the crooks go shopping. They don't go to the local stores they come to our homes. Alarm systems are good but what is the response time from the time the alarm goes off until law enforcement arrives? A good guard dog will probably get you sued if it bites someone. The poor crook had a bad childhood, etc.

It took a long time to do these burglaries. Watch for other homes in the county getting hit. If no one else gets hit ............. hum. Don't forget to check the want adds in the larger newspapers you might find some items there. If you have time to go to the larger cities check the local pawn shops. Good Luck, Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.