1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Browning rifle twist

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by halfmile, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Looking at a Browning Eclipse, blued model with Boss in 22-250.

Can't find any specs for twist, anyone know?

HM

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

my A-Bolt 22-250 is 1-9"

3. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

I'm curious as to why you post a question like that on here rather than just call the factory and ask the folks who make the gun?

4. halfmile

Why does anyone ask about loads when the powder websites have them all listed?

I'm curious as to why it would be an issue.

HM

5. bow377

bow377 TS Member

Hey halfmile I'm on your team, if you hadn't ask the question I wouldn't know the answer. mallardfilmore read you'll learn.

6. halfmile

They do list the Varmint Stalker as having a 14 twist. I don't want this gun if it's a 14, I have 2 light bullet guns now.

This Eclipse is new to me even though it has been out a couple years. I would grab it if it's a 9 so I can shoot heavy bullets.

When seeking information, you get a lot here, from people with lots of experience. nuff said.

HM

7. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I have a Browning A-Bolt Varmint Stalker in 243 WSSM. Nice shooter, but I already have a 243 WSSM. I bought it on impulse I guess. I'm selling it plus some brass for $450 shipped.

low8X2@yahoo.com

8. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

HM, the current catalog lists it as a 1-14". The 2006 part # was 035-007309, so if you contact Browning you could see if it was the same twist last year, if this is a 2006 gun. 2007 part # is SA 035032309. I think it was a newly-introduced 2006 model. Phil E

9. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Well, halfmile, why would anyone post on here looking for load information? After seeing as much brainless blather as we do on here, how could you take any of the information seriously? If you're dumb enough to trust the info that comes out of here rather than from the people who manufacture the stuff, then you deserve what you get. You seek information here and you'll get it but as to whether it's correct or not would remain to be seen.

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Despit all the blather about calling the manufacturer, I totally agree with wanting a fast twist 22 centerfire. The 22's start to get right with bullets over 60 grains. I do not understand why the 14" guns are out there.

FWIW, I have three Eclipse Brownings. They are among the most consistently accurate factory (or custom) rifles I have ever had. .2 MOA is monotonously delivered without neck turning, with standard primers, and thrown, not weighed powder charges, etc. The brass IS weighed, and primer pockets/flash holes are massaged.

The 223 (with the slow twist) gets RL-15, the 308 gets AA2520 (what else?) and the 300 Win Mag gets a bunch of RL-22. All three have the BOSS. The 300 will clear out a covered range pronto!

11. halfmile

I can't understand why a maker would twist the 22-250 at 14, since the higher power caliber should ostensibly be used for extended range.

This rifle is not a stainless, rather a blued model. I guess I have to stick a brush in it and see for myself, although it doesn't look good.

12 hundred is a lot for a used gun/scope but I am taken by the thumbhole stock and the BOSS. I got an XR-100 last year and the stock makes it easy to shoot.

Those who responded, thanks. mallard, go see your doctor and get your Prozac increased.

HM

12. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Gee, I can't understand why it'd have a 14 twist either. It's just too bad there's not another forum to post this question on which would certainly land more information than calling Browning because I'll bet they have no idea either. Probably just grabbed a button and started running it down the barrels and didn't know they could adjust the rate on the machine and just went with whatever setting was there and didn't bother to write it down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.