1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Browning Eclipse twist? (22-250)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by halfmile, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Looking at A Browning Eclipse in 22-250, also the Savage Long Range Precision Varminter, same caliber.

The Savage has a 9 twist, but the salesperson could not find any info on the Browning.

I previously saw a few Eclipse owners on here, maybe someone can inform me.

HM

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

3. halfmile

Thanks.

Deciding between hyper velocity small bullet maximum splat, or impressive long range accurate kills.

HM

4. Shooting Coach

Loading for "impressive long range accurate kills" will insure close range splat. You should be able to push a 60 gr bullet at around 3600 fps. This will get what you want out to 400+ yards.

5. halfmile

Without a lot of prior experience with either of these guns, or 22-250 in general, I had to lean back on the conventional wisdom.

The Savage with the 9 twist may overstabilize 40 grain (my pill of choice in .223) but the 14 of the browning will sacrifice the other end for sure.

To sum up, There are a couple other considerations. The Browning is definitely a high quality rifle, and the savage has the bells and whistles too (H-S stock, right bolt left port) so it's a sort of quandary.

If I hit a lottery number I would buy both.

HM

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It amazes me how people can determine the twist rate of a barrel without ever examining it. I understand what the twist should be, and very often that is what it is. But quite often it is not.
    The only way to know for sure is to measure it with a cleaning rod and a tight fitting cleaning patch or bronze bore brush. From the breech end push the cleaning rod into the rifle barrel, with a magic marker draw down the length of the rod at 12 o'lock. Put a mark on the line at the end of the receiver. Now push the rod into the barrel, when the line you made at 12 o'clock makes one complete revolution stop and make another mark on the line at the end of the receiver. The distance between the two marks measured in inches will be the twist rate. HMB

7. halfmile

The Savage LRPV has it stamped on the barrel.

A good hint to other rifle makers selling to knoledgable users.

HM

8. Shooting Coach

Dear HMB

One might try looking up the rifle, and calling up a novel thing called SPECIFICATIONS (LOL) That is how I figured out the twist. According to the manufacturer, the Eclipse has a 1-14" twist. I would trust them over anyone else. EVERY factory rifle I have checked has the same twist the maker lists. Fancy that! Some makers over a period of generations, will sometimes change the twist. The Eclipse in 22/250 is a fairly new offering.

BTW, I had an original M-1000 Eclipse in 300 Mag. The things it would do at long range with precision ammo were memorable. As far as short range, with the BOSS attached, with three heaping tablespoons of Reloder 22 and a 190 gr SMK it would quickly clear out the other benches around you! (LOUD)

A fellow who wanted to hunt at extended range from a treestand bought it from me. I hope he did not have to lug it around very much!

9. halfmile

I could not find it on Browning's website hence this posting. May have missed a click somewhere.

HM

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

SC,
    You are one lucky fellow. HMB

11. Shooting Coach

Dear Halfmile

Considering the way Browning is introducing and discontinuing firearms every 20 minutes (LOL), it is very easy to miss something on their site.

As far as twist, my All Weather Ruger 30/06 is listed as 1-10". It is.

My All Weather Ruger 308 is listed as 1-10". It is.

My Browning A-Bolt Varmint 223 is listed as 1-12". It is.

My Browning A-Bolt Varmint 308 is listed as 1-12". It is.

My Colt's HBAR is listed and has on the barrel 1-9". It is.

My Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special 308 is listed as 1-12". It is. (WHEW, I got dizzy looking at witness marks on the cleaning rods)

BTW, the Weatherby 300 has had two different twists over the years, and the (Belgian) Browning 308 rifles have had two different twists. Both were either 1-10" or 1-12". I am sure there have been other rifles in production for decades that have been changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning eclipse 22 250

browning eclipse 22-250 barrell twist

browning eclipse 22-250 rifle owners manual

browning eclipse barrell twist