1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Browning A bolt Medalion .22-250 Rem.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FIB, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I have the opportunity to purchase a Browning A Bolt Medalion .22-250 Rem. for a reasonable price. Do any of you own this rifle and if so what is its reputation for accuracy? I would use it for coyote hunting. Thanks in advance.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes and my A Bolt is my current favorite. If you know what to look for in the throat, check it very carefully, or get somebody that does. It is pretty easy to burn these barrels up and thats one reason they are sometimes 'good deals'.

If the gun has a decent bore it will have no problem shooting MOA or better. Made for coyote hunters and it is good at it.

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Wolfram gives excellent advice regarding the throat. lots of varmint guns out there that could pass for new have the throats washed out of them. Most 22 250's are good for 3000 rounds ( 2500 to 3000) a few more if people are very careful about not shooting them hot and quite a bit less if they do. if it has a standard taper barrel and you have reason to believe it has been shot 500 rounds I would get the throat looked at. Re-barreling any rifle takes all the value out of a "Deal". I have shot the bores out of 22 250's between 2,000 and 4100 rounds. So... YMMV. The A-bolt is OK if you are just hunting yotes with it. I haven't seen any that shot better then 3/4 of an inch at 100. Plenty good for hunting Coyotes but not what you want if you are shooting sod -dogs at 400 yards. Jeff

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

With precision ammo, a Moyers trigger and good technique, the average non BOSS Browning will shoot around .5 MOA.

The average heavy barrel BOSS will generally shoot at or slightly under .3 MOA.

Having owned six of these fine arms in various calibers and configurations, this has been my experience.

Proper ammo prep and bench technique are cardinal in getting these figures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.