1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT.......Boycott foreign oil???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by turmite, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turmite

turmite Member

Mar 19, 2008
    I just received this email and wonder if indeed it would work? I assumed that all oil companies used at least some foreign oil, but if this email info is correct that is not the case, and something we need to pay attention to.

If this type post is not permissable, let me know and I will take it down.

Notice the bit on Walmart gas! Very interesting!

Gas rationing in the 70's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even have been good for us!

Are you aware that the Saudis are boycotting American products?

Shouldn't we return the favor? Can't we take control of our own destiny and let these giant oil importers know who REALLY generates their profits, their livings? How about leaving American Dollars in America and reduce the import/export deficit?

An appealing remedy might be to boycott their GAS. Every time you fill up your car you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just purchase gas from companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill up my tank, I'm sending my money to people who I get the impression want me, my family and my friends dead. Don't you think it might be of interest to know which oil companies import Middle Eastern oil and which do not?

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell..................................... 205,742,000 barrels
    Chevron/Texaco..................... 144,332,000 barrels
    Exxon /Mobil......................... 130,082,000 barrels
    Marathon/Speedway.............. 117,740,000 barrels
    Amoco................................... 62,231,000 barrels

And CITGO oil is imported from Venezuela by Dictator Hugo Chavez who hates America and openly avows our economic destruction! (We pay Chavez's regime nearly $10 Billion per year in oil revenues!)

The U.S. currently imports 5,517,000 barrels of crude oil per day from OPEC. If you do the math at $95 per barrel, that's over $524 million PER DAY ($191 BILLION per year!) handed over to OPEC, many of whose members are our confirmed enemies!!!!!

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco.......................... 0 barrels

Conoco......................... 0 barrels

Sinclair........................ 0 barrels

BP / Phillips................. 0 barrels
    Hess. ..................................................... 0 barrels

ARC0.............................................. 0 barrels
    Maverick.......................... 0 barrels
    Flying J. .............................................. 0 barrels
    Valero............................. 0 barrels

• Murphy Oil USA sold at Walmart is from South Arkansas and owned USA
    • Plus they give scholarships to all children in their town who finish high school and are legal US citizens.

All of this information is available from the U.S. Department of Energy and each company is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.

But to have a real impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers With the help of the Internet, it's really simple to do.

I'm sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at only ten more (30 x 10 = 300)....and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000).....and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!!!!!!!

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it...THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE-the entire population of the United States of America!!!!
  2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Brilliant idea....except that it won't work!

You have no idea where the gas you buy comes from, unless you know where the nearest bulk storage is. AND...it supplies all the stations in it's area!
  3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
    FYI the USA imports more oil from Canada than from any other single country..look it up. And boycotting OPEC sourced oil generally hurts the American employees of those companies more than anyone else. If you want to boycott someone, check out the hedge funds and pension funds whose managers have been pushing up the oil price far in excess of it's true supply/demand value. If you're invested in a pension fund, it may be part of the problem.
  4. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Feb 21, 2008
    I got that email, too. It's pure spoof. Whoever wrote it can't even be bothered to get the oil company mergers right. Your best bet is to take all that "crap" that comes into your in box and delete it... unless you need some comedic relief to lighten up the mood of the day.
  5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    You haven't a clue which refinery supplied the fuel to the wholesale outlet at any given moment and trucks deliver to all stations from that source - see them lined up one after the other to fill from the same connection then deliver to any and all. The only person you can "boycott" is the retailer and he's not the problem....Bob Dodd
  6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Yawn....use less. that might work. Oh, except that the developing countries will soak up whatever you don't use. So nevermind.

Gas is still an almost immaterial part of the total cost of owning a vehicle. I read (msnbc.com, for whatever it's worth) that the gasoline is 17.1% of the total cost of ownership of the average vehicle.

Meaning you're paying 82.9% for insurance, maintanence, and depreciation on the $45,000 car you thought you just couldn't live without.

I had an interesting discussion with a gentleman who was going to buy a new car. he's been driving a subaru outback wagon, and he was thinking of going to a Prius to save money on gas. Fine. do the math. The Prius cost $6,000 more than an outback did. And if you took the expected MPG and $4 a gallon gas, and figured out the cost to drive $100k.

The prius was cheaper...$6k cheaper. It's a break even deal.
  7. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Apr 20, 2008
    If all the people who have expelled BS about gas prices on this site would just install sails on their cars, they wouldn't need any gas because they have plenty of hot air to propell their cars.
  8. wm rike

wm rike Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Market don't work that way. No one has a surplus of oil right now. If you've noticed the price of petroleum products, you'd know. If any significant number of people decided to buy all their gas from USOil, or whatever, USOil wouldn't have the product for all their newfound customers - unless they started buying extra refined product from the Import Petrol Co. And trust me, USOil isn't going to go out and drill you your own special well just because you say you think they're swell.
  9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    You have any solutions ou do you just like trash talk?
    Joe Goldberg
  10. 2labman

2labman Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Home > Publications & Reports > EIA Brochures > Where Does My Gasoline Come From?

Energy Information Administration Brochures
    Brochure #: DOE/EIA-X059
    Release Date: April 2008

Where Does My Gasoline Come From?

The United States consumes about 21 million barrels (882 million gallons) of petroleum products each day, almost half in the form of gasoline used in over 210 million motor vehicles traveling over 7 billion miles per day.

In 2007 U.S. refineries produced 90 percent of the gasoline used in the United States. Although the United States is the world’s third largest crude oil producer, less than 35 percent of the crude oil used by U.S. refineries was produced in the United States. Net petroleum imports (imports minus exports) accounted for 58 percent of our total petroleum consumption. About 48 percent of our net petroleum imports were from countries in the Western Hemisphere, 18 percent from the Persian Gulf, 22 percent from Africa, and 12 percent from other regions.
    Can I tell which country or State the gasoline at my local station comes from?

The Energy Information Administration (EIA) cannot definitively say where gasoline at a given station originated since EIA does not collect data on the source of the gasoline sold at retail outlets. The name on the service station sign does not tell the whole story. The fact that you purchase gasoline from a given company does not necessarily mean that the gasoline was actually produced by that particular company’s refineries. While gasoline is sold at about 167,000 retail outlets across the nation, about one-third of these stations are “unbranded” dealers that may sell gasoline of any brand. The remainder of the outlets are “branded” stations, but may not necessarily be selling gasoline produced at that company’s refineries. This is because gasoline from different refineries is often combined for shipment by pipeline, and companies owning service stations in the same area may be purchasing gasoline at the same bulk terminal. In that case, the only difference between the gasoline at station X versus the gasoline at station Y may be the small amount of additives that those companies add to the gasoline before it gets to the pump. Even if we knew at which company’s refinery the gasoline was produced, the source of the crude oil used at that refinery may vary on a day-to-day basis. Most refiners use a mix of crude oils from various domestic and foreign sources. The mix of crude oils can change based on the relative cost and availability of crude oil from different sources.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.