1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: BOWLING LEAGUE : OT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tron, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

OK, I've never bowled, but the Wife and kids want to join a bowling league in a couple of weeks. I live in a small town and some of the people may know me at the ally...so, I don't want to make a fool out of myself. Are there any good instructional videos that would be recommended?? I don't even have my own ball...is that something that I really should spend money on??

Another thing, what about shoes?? The thought of using a pair of shoes that some slob already wore kind of bothers me. Any recommendations??

Tron

2. chessney

chessney TS Member

Bowl in your socks. Don't wear the ones with the hole in the toe. Your toe will stick to the floor on your follow trough and you'll look funny trying to catch your balance....Ziggy

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Try the local Pro Shop at the lanes and see what kind of packages they have for novice bowlers, after you try it you might like it ... I bowl on several leagues now and run into people who I used to see shooting all the time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Denny,

Thats only if the league is in Minnesota, the Olie and Lena Leagues ... See a lot of Plaid and dumb Democraps up in them parts ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Don't worry about putting your feet in a rented pair of bowling shoes. You should be concentrating on who put their sweaty, dirty fingers in the house bowling ball you'll be using.

6. Tron

There are no dumb Democrats <*,)))><

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

just use your lucky skateboarding shoes.

8. Tron

OK Lit....I just happen to have the proper attire. Now, what about how to play the game without looking like some idiot who's never handled a ball?

Tron

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ever thought of sneaking over to the lanes and getting some lessons ....before the league starts?

Getting proficient comes with practice, just like in trap and skeet.

10. Tron

Naaaw Ahab. I figured that I'd just do what a lot of the D class shooters do at the gun clubs and BS my way through the league....maybe offer a lot of pointers.. perhaps tell some of the ladies how to hold balls...when someone doesn't throw a strike, I'd tell them that they were behind the ball or come up with some other generic bullshit to bewilder them.

Tron

11. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Tron there are a lot of videos out there to learn from why not start off doing it backwards.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/64vbnwtL7I8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/64vbnwtL7I8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Fog

12. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Tron you can BS everyone at the alley all the way to the line. That's the spot you are supposed to let loose of the ball. From there on Pal it's up to you to put the ball in the pocket. Get some direction and practice a few games before you show up for the league. Buy your own shoes and have a ball punched for your own hand. Good luck and welcome to another sport you can take to the grave with you. Dan

13. nipper

nipper TS Member

Tron,

The pro shop is your best friend in bowling. any pro shop can drill a ball to fit your hand or anyones hand,dont even think of bowling with a house "generic" ball buy one from the pro shop. start out with throwning a straight ball,im sure you can handle a 15 pound ball,speed of ball is not as important as accuarcy of release,remember league bowling is all about having fun,but as with other sports you will find some who think they are bowling to become PBA members.

Bill

14. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Smart Democrat is an oxyMORON like jumbo shrimp, military inteligence or honest politician.

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Hey Rem, I couldn't let that pass,a person of my own flavor. Timimng is everything and you hit it right on! Thanks, Bob

16. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

One last thing Tron, After you bowl a few games they will give you an average.
    The nice thing about this is you have two ways to respond when asked your average.

You can just tell them you suck and have a 120 average, OR you can add in a handicap, If your into puffing up your ego.

Remember, It's ok to suck at bowling, As long as you look good while your missing the pins.

Jim

17. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Tron, if you're going to bs your way through the league don't blow your cover by ordering a mixed drink. If you order something like a pina colada they will know your an impostor. All the bowlers I know are strictly beer drinkers. Order an "Old Style" or a "PBR" to be on the safe side, a "Bud" will probably work too. Don't even think about ordering a fancy beer like a "Mich Ultra" or a foreign beer like a "Heinken".

All the bowling alleys around here feature "karoke" in their bars and most of the women seem to hang out there, so you may tell your wife to brush up on her singing.

18. Harold

Harold TS Member

Tron, if you want to baffle the ladies with BS you can always tell them to "follow through." That works in any sport, and is equally useless in all of them. Or, you could tell them to put more "lift" on the ball. Nobody knows what that means.

I will have to disagree with Bisi about the beer. In the league I used to bowl in, shots of Pelinkovac (Plink) were quite popular.

19. alf174

alf174 Member

what? you live in SE Michigan and have never bowled? for shame!

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Keep us informed as to your progress and to look like you have bowled before make sure you comment on the oil on or lack of it on the lanes ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.