1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Bow draw length

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Diesel Smoke, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

I've been having a bit of trouble finding a bow and arrow that fits me, I'm 6'3 but my arm span is around 6'6"-7" and I have a draw length of 33"-34". I can't seem to find any newer bows that length. Can anyone give me an idea of where to start looking?

Smokey

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I don't know where you live but try this,

www.luvtohunt.com

talk to Dewey Mcgowan at mtnmanarchery@aol.com

ph.509-665-9362

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Diesel Smoke do you have and use a bow now? If not how did you determine your draw length?

Bob Lawless

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Smokey, just use a longer loop for your release. It will not change the accuracy of your bow. I have recently had several injuries that didn't allow me to use my regular bow(70lbs). I am using a ladies Browning model which is 50 lb pull and 28 inch draw. I normally use a 31 inch draw bow. I used the longer release loop to make up the difference. Worked great. Jackie B.

5. steele

steele TS Member

I don't know how much experience you have with a bow, but I'd check your draw length again. 33"-34" seems really long. You might be over drawing the bow past the correct anchor point. You might want to go to a Pro shop & get fitted/sized up for a bow. The longest standard I've seen is Hoyt at 32". Onieda made a bow for Shaq Oneil several years ago at 36". Getting an arrow spined properly might be a problem also, depending on draw weight. This could cause a real headache in tuning.

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Nephew who is six-eight and has a wingspan like a vulture had Hoyt build him one special. He's happy with it.

7. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

I am 6'3" and have a 34" draw length as well, Pearson custom built me a bow a few years back that worked out well. Ive since quit the training wheels and went back to my recurves and enjoy shooting them much more

8. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

According to the correct draw length formula, your finger tip to finger tip stretched as far as you can, would be 80" to measure 33" draw length, and 83" for 34" draw length. If you measure 79", your correct draw length will be 32". This is if you are shooting a finger release. Depending on your setup, the type of mechanical release - off the string or the use of a string loop,will dictate the correct bow setting length to be able to shoot with proper form. I own an archery pro shop in Ca. and have customers up to 86" wingspan and have been able to properly fit him. If you have any questions, feel free to call me at 530-342-0110

Bill Hom

9. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Rule of thumb is Arm span divided by 2.5 to start. That is also dependent on if you shoot fingers or release aid.

I am 6'5" tall and my draw length is 30" and I use a release. I also don't draw across my body. Prefer my arm out a little, that way the string won't wack my arm or catch my clothes. That changes it to. Google "draw length" there is a ton of info. My feeling and experience is a little shorter is better then long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.