1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Bone Cancer In Dogs - Help Please

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by StevensMan, Jul 7, 2013.

1. StevensMan

StevensMan TS Member

My son a White Shepard Mix - 9 and 1/2 years old has been diagosed with Axial Osteosarcoma. The tumor is located on his upper right jaw. To make a long story short his age and the fact that the surgery would probably be extremely painful without assurances that all the cancer would be removed has lead me to believe that keeping him on pain mediation as long as possible before putting him to sleep is the only answer.

Once again, the tumor is located on his upper jaw, and amputation is not possible as when it is found in one of his limbs, his regular vet said if I wanted he would put him to sleep immediately, but my son doesn't seem to be in pain and is getting around on his own. This type of cancer is supposed to be extremely aggressive, and I did take him to an oncologist, who is supposed to call me today with blood test results. My only thought right now is maybe some type of chemotheopy ( approximately $2000 ) but once again can anyone tell me if this will do any good?

Lastly, this is my third dog to die of cancer - all Shepard mixes - the first from liver and spleen tumors, the second from lymphphomia, and now my son has bone cancer. I asked the oncologists what I was doing wrong, and she said essentially nothing since all the cancers were different.

PLEASE if someone can offer up a suggestion I would greatly appreciate it.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. We went through the cancer problem with our 9 year old yellow lab. We spent money on him that we couldn't really afford to try and help him. Basically what happened was that he had an amputation of his leg and underwent chemo therapy. His quality of life went down drastically. But we were "selfish" and didn't want to "let go". After he was euthanized we were devastated. But after awhile we realized that we did not help him at all and only lengthened the inevitable. Listen to your doctor and do the right thing. (For your dog). Again, I feel your pain and understand your feelings completely. You had some great years with your "son". Cherish the memories and don't allow him to suffer. Ed

3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

My Wife and myself have had Boxers our married years our first two died under six years due to bone cancer, mouth and shin. We hold on as long as possible and what is best for us and the pets.We have had the options of ampute on both but we passed.

Good Luck,

Jim

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Well it's painful to do but you have to put yourself in the place of the dog instead of looking through your perspective.

The animal has no idea why you are taking him to the vet for repeated bouts of uncomfortable, painful and sickening Chemotherapy. The animal probably is hating that and thinking it's being punished for something it has no idea it did.

Do the right thing. Hate hearing stories like this.

5. Michael.B

Michael.B Member

Very sorry to hear of your son's condition. I know how hard this is. We lost our "daughter" of 18 & 1/2 years on March 23rd of this year.

I'm sure your vet has already given you a lot of information on his condition, and that you've probably done quite a lot of web reading on the subject. You might also wish to give Angel Memorial Hospital in Boston a call. It is an incredible animal hospital.

http://www.mspca.org/vet-services/

This Quality of Life Scale helped me in my decision about when it was time to have Susie put down:
    http://www.pawspice.com/qualityoflifescale.html

This is something a very dear friend gave me:

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak, and pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then will you do what must be done, for this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
    You will be sad I understand, but don't let grief then stay your hand,
    For on this day, more than the rest, your love and friendship must stand the test.
    We have had so many happy years, you wouldn't want me to suffer so.
    When the time comes, please, let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend, only, stay with me till the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me, until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you will agree, it is a kindness you do to me.
    Although my tail its last has waved, from pain and suffering I have been saved.
    Don't grieve that it must be you, who has to decide this thing to do;
    We've been so close -- we two -- these years, don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown

6. pizza gun

pizza gun Member

Just a real bad part of life.I FEEL YOUR PAIN after being taken for a very expensive ride by my vet and others my chocolate lab made it seven months. Advice=Let him be a dog as long as he can then do what you have to !He will let you know.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Our pets depend on us to take care of them, love them and do the right thing for them at the right time ... I cannot imagine the pain I would feel if it was my Dog (Riley) and I had to have him put down but I would somehow muster the strength to put him out of his misery ...

DOG OWNERS : This is your dog talking ...

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be very painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want from me. Do not break my spirit with your temper, though I will always forgive you. Your patience and understanding will teach me more quickly those things you want me to learn.

3. Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for your kindness than mine. Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. After all, you have your job, your friends, your entertainment. I have only you.

4. Speak to me often. Even if I don't understand all your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me. Your voice is the sweetest sound I ever hear, as you must know by my enthusiastic excitement when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

5. Please take me inside when it's cold and wet. I'm a domestic animal and no longer am accustomed to the bitter elements. I ask for little more than your gentle hands petting me.

6. Keep my bowl filled with clean water; I cannot tell you when I'm thirsty. Feed me good food so that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to be by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to share with you my life, for that is what I live for. However you treat me, I'll never forget it.

7. Don't hit me. Remember, I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I am not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak.

9. Take care of me when I get old. You will grow old, too.

10. When I am very old, when I no longer enjoy good health, please do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having fun. Just see to it that my trusting life is taken gently. And be with me on that difficult journey when it is time to say "goodbye". Never say, "I can't bear to watch." Everything is easier for me when you are there. I will leave this earth knowing with my last breath that my fate was always safest in your hands. Remember - I love you.

This is very sad but very true ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

WPT I have a new thought of you, yes its better than before.

Jim

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Your dog is depending on you to endure the pain of losing him so he doesn't have to endure the pain of being ravaged by cancer. It's the last and kindest thing you will ever get to do for him.

10. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have been there, with exactly the same cancer. After 2 tries to cut it out and several different vets, I had to make the decision to put the dog down. It was hard, but once done you know the dog is better off. Get a puppy..

JON

11. drgondog

drgondog Member

We have lost as many great Hounds to bone cancer as heart disease. When the pain overcomes the pain meds you will know its time.

The WORST thing you will ever do in your life is to take him/her in and leave before the deed is done. The LAST BATTLE above says it all and so does the Rainbow Bridge.

If I go through that I want the choice to go in and 'get 'er done' the same way as my Wolfhounds.

12. perezal

perezal Member

Sorry to hear about your dog. We had a Great Dane that went thru it too. We were selfish and tried everything to keep him alive, but he passed away after a month of fighting. It was sad because he was ashamed he was not 100 percent himself and would try to hide from us. Dogs are great pets and family members and it hurts to see them ill.

13. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

So hard to pick the "time". Dogs are so resilient and tough that it always seems that it's ok to wait a while longer. if "son" shows any pain or suffering, he is undoubtably feeling very bad and you should consider helping him along. My sympathies for you in a bad time. I would never consider chemo for a dog or cat. To me that's just plain selfish.JMHO good luck Bill

14. drgondog

drgondog Member

Slayer emphasizes a good point. Dogs have a greater tolerance for pain. When they show that they are hurting, they are Really hurting.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Never easy on the man but you need to put the best intrest of you pal ahead of your own feelings. I have been down that road and if money would have fixed the problem, I would have taken a second out on the house to do it. But those aren't the cards we were delt so we do the only decent thing we can.

Search tags for this page

bone cancer in dogs