1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Boiler heating question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by msmith, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmith

msmith Member

My Weil McLain boiler has served me well for the last 23 years. It probably is not the most efficient one on the market. Would it be cost effective to replace it with a new boiler?. NY has some decent rebates going on now. I would have a pro install a new one. Thanks, Mike

2. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

The brand new ones from the same people as you have now is what I had put in last year it was approxamitly the same size and the best features are that yes they are a little bit more effecient and most of it is in the technology of the flue dampner and the circuitry of the burners and thermostats. I got a Gold CGA type for my house and it replaced one that was 46 years old. Dan

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Actually 23 yrs isn't too old for a boiler, they were designed to run forever.

The newer ones are much more efficent that the older ones, some claiming 95% + AFUE, the older ones were rated at 80%, but some were really closer to 65%, the higher the number the more heat you will get out of the same amount of gas.

We installed a Carrier Infinity furnace in our home this summer, part because it's very effeicent, mostly because we're Carrier dealers, and the unit I got wa a scratch and dent, so I got it almost for nothing (it was dented more than scratched) but it does a great job, although I am aware that when one of the fan motors go out it will be high priced to fix, as they are ECM's electronically commutated motors, they are very efficent. The vent pipe is 2" pvc, the exhaust is cool enough because the heat exchanger gets all of the heat out of it and puts it in the house.

If the unit you have isn't giving you any problems, I would keep it unless you want to upgrade to the super efficent one, as the pay back would be many, many years.

(now,if I could just learn how to spell efficent)

4. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

One problem with any boiler is the build up of calcium in the tubes. Even if you treat the water, this will occur. Industrial boilers in most states must be inspected annually but these inspections rarely occur in residential units. There are chemicals (acids) which will remove these build ups but if the tubes are really old you may end up with holes from the cleaning if build up is excessive. Call a pro and have the boiler inspected then make a decision.

5. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

PS. The pressure relieve valve should be cycled when under pressure to assure it's proper functioning several times a month. This could fail and blow up your house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.