1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Binoculars

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gold40, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gold40

gold40 Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I'm plannng to buy my grown daughter a nice pair of lightweight binoculars - but know little about optics. She is a hiker, backpacker, and river-rafter.

I'm assuming 6 or 8 power is about right, and am planning to spend up to $150. What brand & model would you suggest? Also, what internet source for purchase?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    River rafting? You want some waterproof binos.

I got tired of my binoculars succumbing to water in rainy weather. I went to the Bushnell H2O series and never looked back.

These are relatively inexepensive. Yet they don't display the bad habits of cheap binoculars, like soft focus and the dreaded blue/amber aura around objects. The compacts tend to lose contrast as the light dims, but the series also has penta-prism and porro-prism, though they weigh more and are bulkier. And the price won't cause undue angst if they get u-boated on the river.

As for purchase, I'd suggest going to a local sporting goods store and take a look through any binocular you are considering purchasing, whether or not you buy it from them or off the Internet.
  3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Oct 6, 2006
    I asked the same question recently, minus the river rafting issue. For some reason I can't post the link so I found the thread and pushed it up. Check it out. It appears I spelled the work Binaculars. My brain is going, I swear. Jake
  4. BustClays

BustClays Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Try the Bushnell Legend 8X26 reverse porro prism. It's compact, life time guaranteed water/fog proof, fully multicoated optics, long eye relief (for eye or sunglasses) and very rugged for bouncing around the rapids, and best of all well within your price range.

At Binoculars.com

Bushnell 8x26 Waterproof/Fogproof PC3 Binoculars
    Item BUP327
    List Price: $129.95
    Sale Price: $66.32 (49% off)

Traditional porro prisms for light and clarity
    Crisp images regardless condition
    BaK-4 prisms

Multi-coated lenses for more protection
    Pop-up eyecups for glasses wearers
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.