1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Big Green Egg Grill

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DoubleAuto, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Has anybody ever used a Big Green Egg Grill? LIke it or don't like it? How is it for grilling burgers, steaks, etc.? Is it worth the money over other charcoal grills? Any information is appreciated.

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My sister has one and says good things about it. I have no first hand experience.

3. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Yes

It's fine

Fine

NO- a Weber will do just as good

4. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Has anyone used a PK (Portable Kitchen)Charcoal Grill? Cast Aluminum, made in the USA? Looks like a good grill that would last a long time.

5. famill00

famill00 TS Member

The big green egg is well worth the money so long as you are grilling i would say 4 nights a week. My boss at my old job had one of the large ones. I think they run around 800 bucks. He said that they grill out 5 nights a week and he was going through a Weber grill once a summer. He has had the egg now for several years and it still looks new. The ceramic in the egg really holds heat. The times he invited me over for dinner the steaks and burgers were really good. Another positive to this is that you dont have to use much charcoal. I think he said hardwood charcoal only. There are practically no ashes whatsoever. I currently have a Weber and it serves me just fine. However, if I charcoaled more often I would buy an egg. Hope this helps.

Forrest

6. Bitter American

Bitter American TS Member

I have owned just about every type smoker, including Treagers. The best I have owned is the Big Green Egg. It holds low temps for smoking all night long. It also will cook a steak in 6 minutes the same every time. It will cook at 900 or 225. Great to cook pizza on also. The egg uses next to no charcoal. I have the XL. They are a little expensive, but worth it. Throw away all the rest of the grlls you own. It will do it all.

7. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I never heard of the green egg grille until just now I do grill much anymore but if I did then it might be worth looking into.

Fog

8. kgp

kgp TS Member

I have used one for several years. Far and away the most versatile cooker you can own. I have a large, and just bought a small. Check out the Egg forum at

www.eggheadforum.com

It will give you a good idea of the types of things people do with them.

Also, this web page has great info on ceramic type of cookers along with tons of recipes and cookbooks.

www.nakedwhizz.com

Just finished tonight's dinner: skewered spicey shrimp and a couple of beef filets. The steaks were cooked at 750 degrees. Nice crust and medium rare in the middle.

This weekend, I plan to do pulled pork. Bone in pork butt cooked 12+ hours at about 250 degrees.

The lump charcoal adds more flavor than briquettes or gas and is extremely efficient. I use it at least three times a week, and a twenty pound bag will last me about a month unless I do a lot of 12 hour cooks.

Ken

9. Robb

Robb Member

Ken, How bad does the wind if it's there bother you?

10. kgp

kgp TS Member

Robb,

Wind or any weather is no problem. I live in Maine, and use it all winter (unless there's a foot or two of snow on it). The damper on the bottom only has to be open about an inch and about 1/2 inch on the top to maintain a steady temp of 350 degrees. I probably grill at least twice as much since I got it vs. using a gasser.

Ken

11. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

kgp when you do your 12 hour cooks how well does your egg hold a steady temp? Or do use a Guru to control your temp?

Seen a number of BGEs at the American Royal last October. Some cooking teams were using a bunch of them. The only thing I could say negative about them is you cant get a lot of meat on them. Might get one for grilling.

12. kgp

kgp TS Member

Whiz-Bang,

Once the temp stabilizes, it's not hard to keep it there. The biggest challenge is not peeking. For long cooks, I make sure I clean out all the old ash to make sure there is good air flow. Even though I don't need a Guru, I plan to get one because I like gadgets.

As far as not getting a lot of meat on them, there are accessories you can get that allow you to cook on two or three levels. Also, rib racks, wing racks, etc. all increase capacity.

Now, if I were cooking hamburgers and hot dogs for a large group, I'd fire up my Weber gasser and crank 'em out.

Ken

13. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Ken, you need a new thermometer if you think that egg is cooking at 750 degrees.

14. kgp

kgp TS Member

I don't know, but this looks like it might be pretty close.

Ken

[​IMG]

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

That sandwich steak should cook in 3 minutes on any grill ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. emb120

emb120 TS Member

I've had a Big Green Egg for three years and would not be without one. There are few grills that can slow cook at 150 degrees or as high as 1000 degrees. It sounds crazy, but grilling a steak at that high temperature gives you a nice seared outside and a cool rare center. It's a grill as well as a smoker. It is very efficient. Once your done cooking you close up the drafts and the charcoal left can be reused. However that's if you use natural charcoal and not charcoal like Kingsford. You will not be dissapointed if you get one, and it will last for a lifetime.
    Good Luck,
    Jason

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

What do they generally run, and are there different sizes. I've never seen them anywhere, are they a catalog item?

18. kgp

kgp TS Member

A large, the most common size, runs around $600-650. You will spend another 50-100 for accessories. They come in mini, small, medium, large, and extra large. The large is about the same diameter as the standard Weber.

They really discourage internet sales because of the lifetime warranty and potential damage in shipping. If you go to their web page, you can learn more about them and find a dealer near you. Another good page to learn about ceramic cookers is www.nakedwhizz.com (I don't think this is our Whizz, and I don't want to even imagine him naked).

Ceramic and clay cookers have been around for a long time, and originated in Japan. Check them out. May not be for everyone, but I sure enjoy mine.

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.