1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT:Best way to clean woodstove glass?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ks5shooter, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

Need to clean inside of the glass on fireplace insert.Who knows the best and correct way to do this?Thanks in advance Don

2. msmith

msmith Member

Go to you local fireplace store. They should sell a glass cleaning product for the special glass. It is about $7 for a bottle. It has silicon in it. It works 10 times better than regular glass cleaner. It works best when the fireplace glass is warm - not hot. Mike

3. smokem all

smokem all TS Member

Don go to the Dollar general store if in your area an in the cleaning supplies get the cleaner it's called Totally Awesome it will clean the creosote instantly don't buy creosote remover from the hardware store it don't work . I found this by accident , the wife purchased this cleaner to try it on the exterior of the grill and when she did she told me it took off the BBQ drips I said no way and she said way , since them I have tested this stuff on every thing and it is Totally Awesome.For years I flying RC airplanes competition and the motors get a build up of baked on fuel and their was nothing on the market that would take it off so I took this stuff in my shop set a motor in a pan and sprayed it covering the carb and I came back and checked on it and baked on fuel was coming off so sprayed more on it took an acid brush scrubbed the stuff around sprayed it again came back in about 15 minutes sprayed in down again all the baked on fuel came off and when it was dry it looked like it just came out of the box new no bull $h!t then I tried on my wood stove glass because I purchased creosote remover and it did little to nothing so I tried Totally Awesome , unbelievable how good this stuff works creosote just melts away . Hope this help you .
    SMOKEM ALL
    Tom

4. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use a product called "Hearth & Grill Conditioning Glass Cleaner" with silicone.It`s made by a company named Rutland.I buy it at Home Depot.It`s a greenish - white paste.I spread it on with paper towels,rub a little,then wipe it off.I`ve used this stuff for the 20 years I`ve had my insert.Rutlands phone # is (802)775-5519....KS-OKIE.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I use glass cleaner and either 0000 steel wool or a retired body wash "muff" or whatever they are called. Spray, wipe with the steel wool/muff and dry with a paper towel - it's clean!

Ed

6. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

I've used spray-on oven cleaner with good results.

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I use that Totally Awesome to clean the wheels on my truck prior to pressure washing. Removes all the brake dust, etc.

8. GRR

GRR TS Member

Sorry gents but Iv'd tried them all and a single edge razor blade with holder works 10 times faster with less mess.

Go to any hardware store and buy a scraper with a single edge blade, around $2.00 and a pack of blades around $4.00. Open doors place newspaper under them and scrape the creosete off, pick up paper and shove into stove. DONE

This supply of blades will last years.

This is a no brainer, if you want to break more targets...shoot more!!!!

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Razor blake is good.

I use E-Z Off oven cleaner on my fireplace doors. Suuper good stuff. It will even take sign maker's paint off the used truck you bought.

HM

10. PINPOINT

PINPOINT TS Member

Hi been at this chimney and hearth cleaning business for a very long time. The best way to clean is to use common household ammonia. No need to spend your money on those fancy cleaners. Use the money saved to purchase shooting supplies.

11. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

A good hot fire will burn it off, at least that is what I do. I also add some Red Devil to help keep the chimney clean. FD

12. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

My wife cleans ours by using a wet cloth dipped with the ashes in the fireplace. Works great, try it.
    Dan

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Just use simple old Easy Off oven cleaner. That Totally Awesome stuff sounds like something I do want to buy and try. Remember, the fireplace glass is very soft, it is really a special transparent ceramic product, so it scratches easily.

Easy Off and likely other cleaners that work are bases. Therefore, they can yellow the glass over time...so after use, be sure to "rinse" with water using wet paper towels or whatever..I wash down by spraying windex after getting off the creosote.

14. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Totally Awesome work in the dryer as well. I forgot and put some rags that I clean my guns with in a pile by the washer, they got washed and dried. The washer was ok but the dryer had black marks in it and my wife was livid. I took just about everything I could find short of Gun Scrubber and found a case of Totally Awesome under the stairs. I asked the wife what she used it for and she said everything. Took all the black marks and any other dirt off the drum of the dryer in seconds. Saved my A$$ and cleaned the drum with a pleasant smell as well. Going to try it on my chokes next time I clean them.

Info on the product is above.

Jerbear

15. Tony Jones

Tony Jones TS Member

I second the use of the ashes and a wet rag. Really works. That was how the owners manual on our stove indicated how to do it. Just should try to do it often. Easier that way.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Ashes are the way to go. They also work well applied dry with a crumpled piece of newspaper. Do this each time you set a fire and the glass will always be clean. Takes about 30 seconds and then toss the mess into the fire box. Got this advice from my brother in law who sells wood stoves and the various cleaning products ($$$) that go with them.

17. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

use whatever liquid cleaner you can get your hands on....then back that up with the single blade razor. It works wonders. We burn every day for total house heat (or cold) and can easily keep it spotless. The other tip is that if you have trim around the glass in gold or other highlights, make sure you wipe that down with some form of cleaner to make sure no finger prints get on it. We don't have kids around, so it is no issue for us, but if you get just one finger print on the gloss and light the stove off, it will be burned in for good.
    d

18. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Now if you would like to keep the creosete from building up use a cup of salt in your fire once a month .

19. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I got to go with the razor blade. Used one for years. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best way to clean glass from woodstove