1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Best Waterfowl Shotgun ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by g7777777, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

actually I like the browning gold - 12 or 10 gauge

2. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

DB Bill,

I would go with the Extrema 2 from Beretta. The gas system is unbeatable, all internal parts in the action are coated to protect against erosion and it is available with their kick-off technology in the stock. After the gun is broken in, you can shoot 1oz trap loads out of it. I own a camo extrema 2 with kick-off and a black synthetic without the kick-off and they are amazing guns. When you go to Argentina to dove hunt you don't see Benelli, you see Beretta 391's. Benelli makes a hell of a semi but the 391 is in a league of it's own.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    While I'm an 1187 fan(atic), and like the 3" 1187's over everything else, I would advise against the 3.5" 1187. They break parts much more often than the 3" version, and so far from what I can see, Remington has done nothing to beef these parts up. If recoil is no object, the Benelli is totally reliable under waterfowling conditions, as are pumps like the 870.

4. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Beretta Extrema 2. I've had 3 Benellis, a Rem Ultra, and now an Extrema. Their soft shooting (though a fairly light gun), easy to clean, reliable in cold weather, and well balanced. I bought a 28" barrel, as the receiver is pretty long for the 3.5" chamber. A lot less recoil than the Benelli.

5. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I'm going to try a Mossberg 935. I've had a Benelli, Beretta ex, Super X2, & 870 Supermag. All had their good points, but I never had as much confidence in any of them, as my old 870-3".

6. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

The gun that has proven it self is the old reliable Browning A5 3" mag. Its a gun that will out last anything else for duck hunting.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont think Bennelis are bullet proof- in fact I think they jam more than brownings or berettas and probably 11-87s

Gene

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Bill, I have been using a Bennili Black eagle since the 80's shoot 3 and 3.5 inch and have yet to have it malfunction.Have hunted in weather from high 70's to low 20's rain and snow.JMHO Bill

9. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

870 or 11-87 either gun with a 3" chamber, i think all the hype about more shot is crap throwing 2 oz a shot out there is pointless you have tons more recoil and a not so great pattern 3" shells loaded with 1 1/4-1 3/8 of 1-BB pattern better and will kill em just as dead thas JMHO.
    zane

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The fad guns are the Benelli Super Black eagle and the Beretta Extrema.

I would have to try the Benelli before I bought it.

I use a Browning BPS 3", the old one with the magazine cutoff. Never fails me and kills anything I want.

HM

11. tinker

tinker TS Member

don't let anyone bs you win 12 and kill birds

12. Woodyard

Woodyard TS Member

I own a number of waterfowl guns but the one I usually grab is a Beretta 391. Very reliable and the gas operation makes it easy on the shoulder. A gas gun has to be kept fairly clean, but that's not an issue for me because I'm pretty picky about gun cleaning. Lots of guys like Benelli automatics since their inertia action makes them pretty reliable, but you will probably feel more recoil. As for chokes, I do most of my hunting with a Trulock extended modified. I keep the factory IC tube in the shell bag in case the birds are decoying really close. I don't see any need for the 3.5 inch shell. It's a ballistic Frankenstein's monster developed to address the inadequacies of early steel shot loads. Not needed with the new fast steel loads or the premium no-tox shells that equal or exceed the lethality of lead. It might be useful for pass shooting large-race Canada geese with large steel shot, but in situations like that, I dig out the Hevishot.

13. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Winchester 2-3/4" 1400 MK-II, $250, $700 dollars[or more] to spend on Hevi-shot. Watching all the goofs, with there 3.5" $1400 semi-auto's wiff birds.......

PRICELESS!!!!!!!

GS

14. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have owned them all (Beretta, Benelli, Winchester, Browning, Remington just to mention a few)And for water fowl the Beretta extrema 2 is the only way to go period. I now have the camo version with KO and you talk about not feeling the recoil. Alls I can say is try one and tell me what you think. It is incredible.

15. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have owned them all (Beretta, Benelli, Winchester, Browning, Remington just to mention a few)And for water fowl the Beretta extrema 2 is the only way to go period. I now have the camo version with KO and you talk about not feeling the recoil. Alls I can say is try one and tell me what you think. It is incredible.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I think you might need a release trigger. Nasty flinch there.

HM

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Beretta (I use an older 390)....5 yrs. now without any problems.

I use 2-3/4", #4 Hevi-Shot with a modified choke for ducks and geese.

3-1/2" stuff is for Skybusters and Pilgrims.

Curt - Delaware

18. hunter870

hunter870 Member

Gotta throw in my vote for the Xtrema2. I purchased one about 3 years ago and have used it to hunt ducks and snow geese. I didn't get the KO option, but even without it feel that this gun has extremely low felt recoil, and it absolutely crunches the birds. My backup is the 870 3" magnum I used for many years before that.

19. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Until my old A-5 wears out, it's my favorite. Has worked for about fifteen years without a screw-up. Barrel is marked Modified but with steel, it hammers them over decoys. All I need!

Big Jack

20. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Browning Gold....Softest recoiling, fastest cyclying, most reliable autoloading shotgun in the world! BTW 3 inch is all you need....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.