1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Best sunscreen for shooting?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dynapro, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

This year I am determined to stop burning up my face and arms. So I can hopefully last in this sport another 10 years or so....

My Banana Boat grease is not cutting it, and that was the best one I've found (at Walgreen's). There must be a better product out there for ease of application, one that doesn't melt and run in the tube or on your face. I'd personally would like a small tube of high quality stuff that I could carry with me and do the touch up on my ears and nose at high noon without making a total mess.

Any suggestions?

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

When my supply of Coppertone runs out I'm going to get one of the Neutrogena products which are supposed to be the best.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I like the coppertone 45 uv. I fished several days last week and applied it early in the morning and I would look pretty red during the day but after an evening shower I was not even burnt a bit. I have tried several different ones and they have not been as good as Coppertone. Jackie B.

4. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

Coppertone?

@ $2.00 a gallon. What a big spender you are......

Was that you in the ad as a baby on the beach with the sand pail, and the puppy tugging down your swim trunks?

*** Seriously, I'm not saying that $$$ is better, but I seem to remember Coppertone and others that turn to liquid milk in the bottle after a few hours in the sun.

5. Shooting Jack

You are right about it seeming thinner but it works and you only have to apply once a day. You have to be careful with it on your hands as it will get on your bait and may affect fish bite. I'm not sure if it will affect the finish on your gun but if you are one of the up-town shooters you wear gloves anyway so you probably don't have to worry about that. Jackie B.

6. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

Holding branches Trappy, I hadn't thought of that. They are already bearing my gun and picking my hulls, do you think that would be overdoing it?

Thx again Jack, are you a salt fisherman or fresh? You are right, nobody knows the weather like a pro fisherman.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Don't get too excited about the UV scale printed on the bottles of sun screen. A rating of 15 is not much different than a rating of 45. These numbers are on a log scale, so a rating of 150 would be twice as strong as one with a rating of 15. It would require a rating of 1500 to be three times as strong as 15. That means there is little difference between sun screens with a UV rating of 15, 30 or 45.

The real difference in different brands is how they smell and how quickly the glycerol base is absorbed into the skin.

Pat Ireland

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot at a club that has covered firing points. Much better than sun screen. HMB

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I for one like the coppertone supersport ultra sweat proof 50. non greasy doesnt run into your eyes. I have yet to get a sun burn since my wife put this in my golf/gun bags. I hear good things about the bullfrog line also, just not something I have seen around here.

10. Shooting Jack

Both Dynapro. I used to fish bass tournaments until I fell on my bike(in my mothers drive way/sand) and broke a disc in my back so now I just fish. I have a place at Lake Eufaula Al and then I'm 40 miles from the coast here in Ga. so I like to fish for Trout and Reds. I don't fish offshore very much anymore but we have a boat at my son-in-laws in Panama City that is used mostly just to go to Shell Island. When the fishing gets good it sometimes inteferes with my shooting. LOL!! The little town I live in here in Georgia is surrounded by rivers on all four sides and they have some of the best red breast fishing in the US. Jackie B.

11. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

First of all, wear a wide brim Hat, not a cap. I buy my sunscreen from my dermotologist. It cost more, but works better. Do not fool around with sunburns. Don Zutz said it best. Don't worship the sun, fear it. He died of Melanoma. Makes no difference if you are fair skinned or dark skinned. The sun has no preference. I spoke with my dermatologist at length regarding our exposure to the sun trapshooting, and one thing was brought up constantly. Keep plenty on at all times, it does lose it's effectiveness due to perspiring. He also said, be sure you wear the wide brim hat. Hope this helps, Roy

12. NU2Shooting1027

NU2Shooting1027 TS Member

I have always used Bullfrog while I was fishing. I use 50 on my tattoos when I take my shirt off and you can tell where I put the lotion on exactly. I accidentally dropped some on my leg one time so I rubbed it in. Huge WHITE spot on the middle of my sunburnt leg. If you're looking to get a tan I would go with Bullfrog 15-25, if you don't like the sun and being tanned or burnt go with the Bullfrog 50.

Allan

13. gotbass

gotbass Member

Bullfrog gel theonly way to go. Yeh I do fish the advise about the wide brimmed hat is spot on.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Allen- Read my first post. The difference between 25 and 50 is negligible. It is less than the difference between 17 and 17.1 grains of powder.

Pat Ireland

15. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

I would never say that Pat is dead wrong, but the above link will.

16. TN Larry

TN Larry TS Member

Had a cancer removed from my nose (not Melanoma), and my dermatologist recommended BLUE LIZARD lotion. It is made in Australia. He also sells it, but I found mine at Walgreen's. A little pricey, but not bad.

17. bas

bas Member

Our dermatologist recommended Neutrogena with "helioplex"...he stressed the "helioplex" part...there are other Neutrogena sun screens that do not have "helioplex" in them.

18. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Do a Google search for 'sunscreen rating' and you will find many reports like the one shown above.

19. Shooting Jack

Both Dynapro. I used to fish bass tournaments until I fell on my bike(in my mothers drive way/sand) and broke a disc in my back so now I just fish. I have a place at Lake Eufaula Al and then I'm 40 miles from the coast here in Ga. so I like to fish for Trout and Reds. I don't fish offshore very much anymore but we have a boat at my son-in-laws in Panama City that is used mostly just to go to Shell Island. When the fishing gets good it sometimes inteferes with my shooting. LOL!! The little town I live in here in Georgia is surrounded by rivers on all four sides and they have some of the best red breast fishing in the US. Jackie B.

20. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

First of all, wear a wide brim Hat, not a cap. I buy my sunscreen from my dermotologist. It cost more, but works better. Do not fool around with sunburns. Don Zutz said it best. Don't worship the sun, fear it. He died of Melanoma. Makes no difference if you are fair skinned or dark skinned. The sun has no preference. I spoke with my dermatologist at length regarding our exposure to the sun trapshooting, and one thing was brought up constantly. Keep plenty on at all times, it does lose it's effectiveness due to perspiring. He also said, be sure you wear the wide brim hat. Hope this helps, Roy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.