1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT best snowblower

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by nailer123, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

What is the best 2 stage snowblower with out breaking the bank.I still need money to buy lead.

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Arens. Bought mine when I moved to Wisconsin. It did a great job there for 10 years. Took it to Fargo North Dakota. It never let me down in my 10 years there even with 110" of snow some years. My boy has it now in Springfield Illinois for the last 5 years and it is still going strong! We replaced the runners and the cutting edge a few times but that is all.

8 HP, 2 stage, 24" cut, electric start. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I still lived in snow country!

Jim Skeel

3. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

Can't go wrong with a Troy built

4. 17145

17145 TS Member

I'm from Chicago and my shooting partner has a 1974 Arens. It was his fathers, and now he uses it every winter. Still running strong. I have since bought a 2006 model and I hope I can get 30 years out of it.

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Ariens....

I inherited my wife's grandfathers 1972 7hp 24" Ariens several years ago. It WILL Make 40 years.

I would buy no other brand..... period!

SW

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Honda without a doubt.

4 stroke engine, hydrostatic drive, enough power to blow circles around anything else.

The catch? They are spendy but mine's been worth it.

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I bought a Sears (Craftsman, 5 hp, 2 stage, 5 fwd speeds, 2 rev., 24" w x 21" h mouth) approx. 7 yrs ago on a Springtime sale for $400.00. It has always started on the 1st pull (don't use the electric start) and has never had a problem. It's small enough to handle easily but big enough to handle big snow (last storm dumped 20" + on us.

You can spend more, but this has been a good buy and with the money I saved, I bought 15 bags of magnum shot. That's equivalent to 6000, 1 oz. shells.

Curt - Delaware

8. guido

guido Member

One that moves the snow the way you want.

9. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Ariens is the way to go. Used them all.

10. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Ours is a Murray SnowKing from Sears, 29" cut, 10HP TEcumseh (started and RAN after sitting for 3 years). Mine has electric & manual start: plug a regular extension cord into it and the wall - push the button and WALA - instant start. Unplug & go.

BTW: make sure your tire pressures are the same! If one is low, it will pull in that direction. I thought my tranny or diff was going bad, nope. The right right tire was empty but it did not look low at all!!!

11. thunder

thunder Active Member

My neighbor purchased a new Simplicity walk behind two year ago, it blows snow really well and we have been getting lots of it the last few years. I beleive it was over a $1000.00 and is over 8hp. It has electric start and nice lights on it. He has a very wide driveway and his Craftsman just wasn't big enough to blow all the way across it (over 40foot wide driveway).

I use a 1993 Simplicity 18HP lawn tractor with a 36" single stage and no problem blowing lots of snow in the last 17 years.

Simplicity is one of the best.

Andy

12. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Thunder Simplicity is a great machine. Ariens and Simplicity are the best out there. , Not the cheapest, but the best. John Deer is there also.

13. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

The best snow blower is a plane ticket to the Caribbean! Return in spring. Saves on gas, heating oil, winter clothing etc... I just pack my shotgun, shorts, t-shirts and a pair of crocks.

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

[​IMG]

Now this is the real deal

15. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I have a John Deere 28" 11 HP, it does a great job. The only problem is the auger packs with snow and must be cleaned after a couple hours of blowing snow.

I tried car wax and silicon spray on the auger, it still builds up!
    Any suggestions?

Frank

16. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

This works in Wisconsin.

17. grummanflyr

grummanflyr TS Member

I bought an 8HP Ariens used it one season and the front auger gear drive failed. Took it into an Ariens dealer had them overhaul it and service the machine and the next season I got to use it exactly twice ( 4" light powder on a concrete drive and it failed again , same thing. I've sold off the Ariens for parts and bought a Honda, they don't break and they hold their value!
    Spendy , but they work.

18. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

The best one I ever had was any of them that somebody else is operating

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

GW, WTF is that thing? I want one!

I see Ariens a lot around here and they are very good. I have a Toro and it's good. NO electric start but it's a one pull 8 horse. Wore out the skid shoes once, put new on last year.

Green paint costs too much for me. I would go Toro again if I had to. I think this one will outlast me. Just put oil in the worm gear 2 days ago, first time in 8 years. That's a sneaky one, cause it goes away in such little increments out the seals and you don't know it.

Ariens is made only 25 miles from here so you see a lot of them. I never hear any bad things for how many there are.

MTD are made on bids, by lots of different little 2 bit places. I wouldn't put any real money in one.

HM

20. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

12 years ago I bought a new MTD 15 horse rider mower. In the fall I started looking at snowblowers, the price was $1,300.00 to $1,500.00 for a good one. My uncle had a heart attack and died using one of those things so I was not to happy about having to get a new one.
    I called MTD and asked if they made a blower attachment for the mower? Answer yes $875.00 shipped, two stage. Now I sit and do the driveway and my 4 neighbors at $300.00 a year, each. 42 in. cut 4, 6 car driveways in 30 min. plus my own. If you have a mower look into one for the mower. Bernie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.