1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Best Digital Camera in the $100 range

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by leftex, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

I need to pick up 1 more Christmas gift. What is the best bang for the buck in a camera in the $100 range.
    Thanks,
    Santa

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Kodak. Buy American.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

If they have a store in your area by the name of Big Lot's you will find several different digital camera's in your price range. I have purchsed several for gifts and they all seem to work well. Besides kodak I forget the name of the others. Most are ten to fourteen megapixels and have 3 x zoom. Good luck and Merry Christmas. Jackie B.

4. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Canon Powershot!

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I'm with Yvonne on this one as well. Best point and shoot camera I have ever used bar none. Get the 4X optical zoom and you can't go wrong. May be abit over l00 though. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

6. LABWILD

LABWILD Member

Pentax Optio W80. More expensive, but even a novice like me can take good pics.

7. leftex

leftex Active Member

Keep the suggestions coming. I still have nearly a week left. Thanks for all your opinions so far.

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Kind of off topic but a recent article I read said that point & shoot camera sales were falling as more & more people are buying I-Phones and using the camera in the phone as their primary picture taker. I know of 3 friends who have dumped their P&S cameras in favor of their new Iphones.

Eric

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'll also recommend the Cannon Powershot like yvonne
    . The model to look for is the Powershot S95. It's just under $100 and many places will give free shipping.

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I love my Kodak...and well under a hundred.

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Try the link above there is at least 8 pages of point and shoot Digital Cameras. All different prices and makers all the information and spec. are there.

The link is for Best Buy I was there yesterday the have many on sale for $99.99. They have a shipping plan now you pick a store in your area order on line today. Then you pick up at that store tomorrow no shipping needed.

Check it out.

Bob Lawless

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Be very careful at Best Buy!!! They hit you real hard on anything that you return to the store. 20% min. return charge or something in that range. Break-em all. Jeff

13. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I agree with yvonne.
    I have had my Cannon 7.1 megapixel camera for probably 4 years and I take a lot of photos sometimes over 1,000 a day the reason I bought it was it had the I.S. Image Stabilizer because I sometimes don't hold the camera still when im walking from 1 shot to the next.
    I paid almost 300.00 for mine back then but 7.1 megapixel was pretty big back then.
    Also I wanted a view finder because most now days only have the display on back to aim at your target with, and sunny days it is hard to see good.

I also am thinking about getting a new camera and want to buy another cannon powershot so I will check them out ok I use mine mostly for photo's like below of my great grand dad.
    I have over 300,000 photo's I know of through my camera ok not going to lie the front automatic lens cover quit working after 150,000 or so photo's but a lot of camera's dont have it anyway.
    It is just hard for me to look at another brand since this one has been so good to me ok the photo was re sized to small size of the original so might not be that great.

Foghorn220

[​IMG]

14. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Jeff:

Yeah that's what I heard unless you sign up for whatever club membership they have and I don't know what that cost a year but it wouldn't be worth it to me since I don't buy that much electronic stuff every year.

Foggy

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well the wife bought a Nook at Best Buy and it wouldn't connect to the internet. I brought it back and got a refund it didn't cost me a thing. So I don't have any complaints.

As far as a club membership is concerned no one has ever offered me one that has a fee.

Bob Lawless

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I bought a Fuji Finepix fd8000s - it is a great camera but you need to be a photographer to use it. I would not advise it for a novice

17. WGB

WGB Member

Panasonic, if you can find one, is rated at the top of the line for digital point and shoot.

Kodak? Made in the USA? Ha Ha. You need to read the made in China label.

18. leftex

leftex Active Member

The Canon PowerShot S95 is looking pretty good. Now, where can I get one of these for $100?

Thanks,
    Wayne

19. leftex

leftex Active Member

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

leftex

I double checked the model number of the four I bought. They are the A495 and were about $95 at NewEgg.com. The S95 is a slightly more expensive camera. They go around $399 or so retail. Sorry for the confusion, but the A495 is a great value for less than $100 shipped. The Canon SD1300 or SD1400 are a little more (mid $150 range) and is more compact. The biggest advantage of the A495 is the use of standard AA batteries. You can get rechargeables too, but some of the more expensive cameras use proprietary batteries that cost $45 or more for the originals. So please check out the features of the A495 and see if it looks good to you. We had a few of the older A490 models and they worked quite well too. They have been in service for over a year and have taken quite a bit of daily abuse. The picture quality of the A495 is among the best I have seen for a sub $100 camera.

Target and Staples had the A495 for $89.00, so look there first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.