1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT- Best brand of 5th wheel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sallyjane, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sallyjane

sallyjane TS Member

I know this has been on here before, and I did some searching, but I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this. We are getting ready to buy our first one, and any "getting started" help would be appreciated. Thank you

2. rdp58

rdp58 TS Member

Try this site, a lot of good information on campers, tow vehicles, and camping.

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Titanium. Go to their web site.

Don

4. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Wilderness is one of the best

5. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Sally I'll help you with some of the things of the list Lee Ann and I have on the list of things we want to change for our next 5th wheel trailor. Ist thing is not to get the King sized bed, go with the queen it will give you a little more room in the bedroom and the queen bed is plenty big enough. Also get one with two air conditioners on it. Also our next one will have all the bathroom facilities in the same room. Ours is a Montana by Keystone and it's equiped with the Artic package for the winter months.We see a lot of Montanas, on the road and in the RV parks, we got ours from a dealer in Elkhart Ind. That's close to where they are made and the dealers are very competitive there. Also I recommend that you get a tripod for the front end for stabiltiy. We also have a washer combo that works great for us and if you are going to spend much time in the camper you will need one. I'll try to think of other things to know and write you more later. Lastly but not least is to be sure you spent some time with the guys when your unit is delivered and learn all you can about it before you try to use it. Dan

6. darwinbene

darwinbene Member

I would stay away from the Prairie Schooner by Gulf Stream. It is one piece of junk. The dealership that sold them a year or two ago are not selling them now. They are really poorly made, no quality.

Saw a Sunny Brook a while back and it is some quality construction. And the price was reasonable. I agree with the comments about the Hitchhiker II LS. Have talked to people that own them and they are very loyal and are repeat buyers. Have had 31' Travel Trailer, 36' 5th wheel, and now 30' 5th wheel in about a seven year span. What ever you buy spend one to two weeks near the dealership to get the problems fixed.

There is such a high demand for RVs and the construction quality suffers. They have to crank them out so fast to meet the demand.

LOL dar

7. clays

clays TS Member

We have a prowler regal 32 foot by fleetwood, we have had it for 3 years and really like it, it has 3 slides and just about everything else you would enjoy from home. There are lots of accessories available that you will need to adapt depending on the place you stay such as cords and hoses and cables etc, etc... the first thing we added was an onboard generator and let me tell you I won't own another one without it.

Find one you like and try to find some others that have owned them and get thier opinion.

Clays

8. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

To whom it may concer: I had an outback, 5ths wheel 30' by Keystone and what a nightmare!!!! I would never buy a keystone product again. I had nothing but problems, leaking. Water in the underbelly. The outback fifth wheel has a remote for both furnace and air conditioner. The heat sensor is in the ceiling. No cieling fan. I got nowhere with the dealer that I bought from and less from Keystone company. I dealt with a fellow by the name of Brandon who is a complete LIAR big time. These out backs arejunk and of poor design. One of the models the heat exhaust vent is right behind the door so you had better not leave the door open for any time if the furnace is running. I dont know where they got thier engineers from, maybe some third grade class. Anyway have all this documented so anyone interested can email me. my two cents alex Kotter superior wisconsin

9. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Don't be in a hurry. Yes the NuWa is a very good trailer. Consider what kind of camping you are going to do, and how much. Are you going to leave it at a park or you traveling accross the US. Traveling all over a gen. is nice[staying atwal marts while traveling too cheap], get to the fridg and tolite with the slideouts in, holding tank spec's If leaving it at a park all summer before spec's doesn't apply. Even the best trailer can be a bad experience if the dealer isn't good. Buying new in the fall can get some good deals, but it takes some talking. Used alot of people owe more than you can buy a new one for 2-3 year olds. Even rent one and talk to the campers their very friendly people and willing to help avoid mistakes they made. Manufactors have many brands/ levels look at E-bay notice which used one bring high resale [ Hitch hiker, titan, avon, holiday rambler] those are usely the higher end ones built for traveling all over. Let us know what kind of camping you plan on doing. Of course my changed once it got in my blood!

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

There is no better place to go shopping then at a large trap shoot. Stop at the ones you like and talk to the owner, maybe look around. Most campers like to show off their unit. Web sites are very helpful. RV shows are great. Owners that really use their unit, not the 1 or 2 week a year person. Make sure you have truck enough, if you own a truck it may determine the unit you get.

Good luck and enjoy

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

Avaion is one of the very best .

12. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

You know quality… but we are looking at our 2nd 5th wheel…LAYOUT it the second most important thing…it the toilet and/or sink in the bedroom, we don’t want ether…might check out the type that have a hallway down the side..can you stand up in the shower…I’ve seen a lot of slides with stoves, refrigerator , and other stuff on them….I just don’t trust have moving gas and water lines….pass thru stowage, you can never have enough….how much nose is sticking out pass the pin….long or short bed truck, short bed your buying a new rear truck window (or buy a sliding hitch)….the one that said queen size is right, just make sure if there are 2 of you, you don’t have to crawl over the other one to get out of bed…can 2 people fit in the sink/kitchen area at the same time….is the TV were you can see it….overhead fans, more is better…just my 2 cents….look at the dump valves location and hook-up….30 or 50 AMP service…Grubby

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a friend that was in the commercial trailer business for years, repairing and such. He has a Montana. If there was anything better he would have it.

HM

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Tips from here would include: Don't buy glitz, if it's not functional, it's unnecessary; all the factories use the same parts and equipment it's how it's all put together that counts - wood or aluminum frame, flat fiberglass exterior is easier to keep clean, sealed underbelly for cold, size of bed, configuration of bedroom/bath, kitchen storage and counter space, fit and finish are a few thoughts; then another biggie is they are all TOO big when towing and maneuvering but all TOO small for living in - you must resist getting one too big to wrestle with or climb severe grades just to have roominess at the park but you don't want one too small to be reasonably comfortable in at the park just to have the easiest to tow, stow, and maneuver. Diesel trucks are the only way to go with the 5th wheels for power and fuel consumption but they need not be started at 6 am and run for the next 2 hours while breaking camp. I firmly believe the old saying about boats being a hole in the water to throw money into also applies to RVs but I've got one and I'm not ready to return to Motels. Mine? Is a NuWa HitchHiker II LS alleged 28.5 footer that measures 30' using any device and I wouldn't want to tow any more length or weight but wouldn't want to live in any smaller - my compromise...Bob Dodd

15. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

One of the guys mentioned about your truck. I preferr bigger and diesel for sure. I happen to have a one ton and it's a dodge. Everyone has their own opinion on the make just be satisfied with your own choice. I have had no trouble with the dually 4x4 one ton of mine. Also like B Dodd says "frills are just that and they don't make it easier to camp. If you don't actually need some accessory don't get it." Get something you like and have a good time camping, join the Good Sam's Club for discounts and information you will like it. Our Montana is doing us fine so far if anything changes we'll let you know. Dan

16. Flench

Flench TS Member

I just bought one in July. One of the first problems I have had is the drawers in the Pantry keep sliding open while traveling. It was an easy fix.

Doyal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.