1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Best Bluing and Finish for Muzzleloader

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I recently acquired a Thompson Center Hawken .45 caliber muzzleloader kit that requires the barrel to be blued. I am wondering what you guys think would be the best blue to use on my barrel (or possibly brown), and what I should use for finishing the stock. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

-Jollytrapshooter

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I used Birchwood-Casey's Plum Brown on the smoke poles I built. It works best if the barrel is heated with a propane torch so the "browning" sizzles as it's applied. My stocks were all sanded to a velvet smoothness and then given a built-up wax finish.

Mike

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Brown is traditional, and looks fine when done right.

HM

4. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Thanks for the help, any suggestions on finish for the stock?

-Jollytrapshooter

5. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Wax or oil was the traditional finish. I never liked the looks of any of the curing oils so I used a wax finish built up of several layers over glass-smooth wood. Or you could use both...a couple coats of something like Watco's Danish oil followed by a final finish of wax once the oil is fully cured (about 6 months...no residual odor).

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

top rated bluing for muzzleloader barrel