1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/Best bang for $ on a scope for M77,.223

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Don Steele, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

I've got a Tasco, 3-9 on one of my 30/06 rifles. VERY inexpensive scope...No problems to report. Works well, holds zero, clear optics. For day-to-day, run of the mill use I can't justify paying BIG bucks for a high-end scope on this rifle. In addition...I should add that I got this particular scope directly from Tasco, when I sent an OLD Tasco scope to them for repair. I had bought that scope when I was a teenager and Lyndon Johnson was President. When it "died" many years later...I got the idea that perhaps it could be repaired. By this time...it was more of a sentimental issue than anything. I really wanted THAT scope to continue to use for purely personal reasons. Well, Tasco didn't repair it, they just sent me a brand new one, at no charge. Seems like pretty darn good customer support to me. Very few consumer products you can return to the manufacturer after something like 40 yrs. of use...and have them replace it with a brand new one..!!
    Your experience may vary...but that's mine.

2. Hawgduo

Hawgduo Member

I have scopes of all price ranges on my rifles. The best scope for around $200 is the Burris Fullfield but I also have a Bushnell Banner 4x12x40 on my 25.06 that I really like and you can get one for about $100. Hope this helps.
    Hawgduo

3. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Natchez has some excellent deals on Browning scopes which are essentially Bushnell 3200-4200 scopes.

Great scopes and for the price, they can't be beat.

I think a nice 3-9X40 or a 5-15X40 would be perfect for your .223.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Simmons 6.5-20 50MM adj obj

or Simmons Aetec? several models

Gene

5. Chuckbuster

Chuckbuster TS Member

HI JOHN

I have been a varmit hunter all my life. Have used all the major scope brands and have settled mostly on leopold. They are the most for the medium priced scopes. But for the low end entry the Mueller's are unquestionably the best in my opinion. $125 will buy an APV 4-16 varible plenty good for your 223. I have two on rifles with moderant recoil and they work great. Buy them at E. Arthur Brown on the web. You won't be dissapointed. The rim fire guys love these scopes. I have also seen them for sale at Dunham's.

TOM K.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The Leupold VX-1 series is often on sale around hunting season at Dick's or similar stores. The VX-1 is about equal to the Vari-X II of years gone by. I think that their sale price is around $180 - $200.

If you can find Japanese made or Taiwanese made Tasco (over 20 years ago or more), these were not too bad. I have two 4x16 AO Tasco’s made in Taiwan and, except for the short eye relief, these are great scopes. I bought the first one new for about $100 prior to 1995 from Midway. I bought its twin last year on EBAY for $75 after a bidding war. It was originally about $25. I would have gone higher because it matched my other scope. They are both mounted on Ruger 10/22’s with heavy barrels.

All things considered, i.e., gasoline cost, ammunition cost, desire to make a good shot, do you really want a cheap scope?

IMO, you will never regret using a Leupold.

7. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

An old Simmons Whitetail Classic (WTC) is a GREAT value and they're highly sought after.

Any of the leupold/burris line is going to be what you're looking for without too much searching. Even the base model Leupold will blow the nicest Tascos out of the water (new Tascos anyway)

8. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Leupold makes a GREAT fixed 6x power scope, but they're pricey. They will NOT loose their zero. A fixed six is a great all around scope and was a favorite of the 'Nam era snipers.

9. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

For a fixed power scope check out the 10X super sniper 10x42 30mm

http://www.swfa.com/pc-4304-231-super-sniper-10x42-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

or the Bushnell 10x40 Elite 3200 Rifle Scope

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8352-184-bushnell-10x40-elite-3200-rifle-scope.aspx

10. bogey67401

bogey67401 Member

John, I have a ruger 77 in the varmit model with the heavy barrel. It shoots great except fot the trigger being a little heavy. I also have a savage with the accu-trigger, it is much easier to shoot. As for scopes, If you want a good fixed power, such as a 6X, I would look for an older K-weaver or the older Redfield with the wide angle lens.They usually run around $100 and are as reliable as any scope ever made. I have them on 3 of my hunting rifles and love them. for my varmit rifles I have 6.5x20 VX-111. they are expensive but if you are dog hunting they can't be beat for the money.
    Bogey67401

11. BrooklynPrep69

BrooklynPrep69 TS Member

I have a new Redfield 3X9. yours for $100....................Steve

12. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

If I understand you correctly you don't want to fork out a log of dough on a scope because you probably aren't going to be doing any precision shooting with the rifle.

Consider for a moment however if you have a shot early or late before you can see very well. The cheaper scopes will give you nowhere near the picture that a Leupold will. Using Leupold scopes I've killed deer in the twilight when other guys couldn't see to shoot.

I still think Leupold is the best bang for the buck. If you ever sell the rifle or scope you will be able to recoop most if not all your money on a Leupold. Not so with a cheap scope. Most serious shooters I know consider a cheap scope worth ZERO $ on a used rifle.

Hubcap

13. wam6187

wam6187 TS Member

I am considering one of the above for my new .223 Remington 700 SPS.
    From what I am told they are very good quality for the $$.

Bill

14. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

John,

I got a Swift scope on my .17 HMR about 2 years ago, it's a 3-9x40, and I absolutely love it. Not a whole lot of money, and a lifetime warranty! If I talk myself into a new .204 this year, I'll get another Swift for it. Good luck, hope whatever you get works out for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.