1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

OT Bermuda... Anyone one there on vacation?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Big Al 29, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Anyone been to Bermuda and can give a resort/hotel recommendation?

Go the "All-inclusive" route or not?

Looking to make plans for end of June or early July.
  2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

Been there once, never go back. Lot's better choices out there for me. Just my opinion, may not be worth much
  3. Tron

Tron Active Member

All inclusive is a GREAT way to go, but I wouldn't go to Bermuda this time of year. It's much too far north and you are taking a big gamble with the weather. Parts of it are beautiful, but not cheap. I've been to a lot of places and you can't beat Cozumel Mexico for the buck. Rent a Jeep for the week and tool around the island. It's safe, they have great resorts and it's very reasonable.
  4. CBone

CBone TS Member

We took a cruise out of Baltimore to Bermuda. Beautiful Island, but it rains nearly everyday in the summer. That's why it's so green and beautiful. Unfortunately, it means you play golf in the rain on many summer days. Not all day rains, but tipical summer thunder showers. (Rain is never mentioned in the promotional material.)

Stayed on the ship, so don't know about hotels.
  5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Been there in the Navy in 1961 for 2 weeks , then in 80 with my wife . One of the best places on earth . Wanted to go back in 2000 but didn`t make it and I`m sorry . I will get back there eventually . It doesn,t rain every day either . Told not to go there in Dec or when there may be a hurricane but that doesn`t happen too often . June or July should be the right time to go . The locals there treat you very good not like a few other vacation spots . Very safe also , not like Jamaca or St. Thomas .
  6. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

55 or 56 ??????? Cteay you must be OLDER THAN DIRT ! I was 4 or 5 when you were there !
  7. comp 1

comp 1 Member

Go on a cruise-couple days in hamilton and couple in st. george--it's nice but too cold in the winter--try may/june/july--quite clean place and youl be treated well--for winter escape try southern carribean cruise out of puerto rico down toward the grenadines/so.america.
  8. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Anyone have a recommendation on a resort? I plan on going in June or July 2009.

Will be flying out of Philadelphia.

How about a cruise to Bermuda out of Phia.? Anyone do that and care to talk about it.

Thanks,

Jeff

PS This will be for my wife and my 10th wedding aniversary. Still can not belive it is that long. Still feel like we are in college although I am not nearly as fit, no more football, no more weight room. I run a ton but no longer buff.
  9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"Looking to make plans for end of June or early July."

"but I wouldn't go to Bermuda this time of year."

I don't think he is.
  10. lc

lc TS Member

Middle of June on is Hurricane season and you could be caught or trip cancelled. Nothing wrong with Burmuda, just take the same precautions you would take traveling anywhere outside the U.S. I do believe you need a passport now, use to be just a visa but times are different.
  11. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Tourism in Bermuda has taken a real hit in the past 5 years or so. Many resorts have closed up shop in the past couple years. The old Navy Dockyards are being converted into a tourist mecca - since the mega-ships will be the only ones going there after this year, and they can only dock at the old navy yard. I've been there twice in the past 2 years - both times on cruise ships out of Philly.

I'd go with the all inclusive resorts. Dining on your own on the island can get expensive real quick. I didn't much care for the fare either. Seafood is big (duh), but everything else is imported. $12 burgers, $3 cokes, etc.

Whomever suggested renting a jeep to see the island obviously has not been to Bermuda in a coons age - non-Bermudians can't rent cars. If they lived long enough driving those narrow streets, they'd cause absolute gridlock in the streets. I don't suggest a moped either - unless you want a future as a hood ornament. Best ride this side of Disney World is the bus tours. Get the bus pass and you can ride anywhere on the island by bus or boat.

If you like beaches, golf, old town tours, etc, you'll like Bermuda. If you're looking for a place with 1000 different things to do, you might have a little trouble.
  12. grunt

grunt Active Member

I was stationed there at the NAS 54-56 marine Detachment Bermuda. I was single and you couldnt beat Easter week, All the collage girls it would kill a lesser man. Be careful on the Mopheads you have to ride on the left side of the road. Island is only 20 miles long about 11/2 miles wide. Youll enjoy it beautiful beachs.
  13. grunt

grunt Active Member

Ctreay, Did you guys do the water catchment on the base? I remember you guys ,You were called MOBs then, Seabees stood our watches on Nov 10th marines birthday. Airedales were happy to have us back the next day. I did 14 years with the marines and finished 14 years with the Seabees out of Port Hueneme in the reserves. Retired Senior Chief.
  14. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Say Mon you are bringing back memories! Stationed there late '61 thru '64. Started out at the NOB and when they got rid of the P5M's ended up at KAFB. Bought a Morris 1000 and the second day I had it had to drive my wife to Kindley for the birth of my son. Had many a good day, either on the public beaches or the bars.

Good grief, the Easter vacationers (horny schoolteachers) would sure take a toll on the SINGLE sailors. Lots of good fishing and believe it or not there were a few attractions on the island that were nice. If you go make sure you climb Gibbs Hill Lighthouse. A lot of the tourists would stay on the cruise ships.
  15. grunt

grunt Active Member

We flew The PBYs to Norfolk to transfer prisoners. It was something to ride in when they kicked in the jet assist for take offs. Four guys in the barracks chipped in to buy a Morris, Spent more time working on it then on liberty. Teachers are a horny lot arent they. I was 18 the years have flown by.
  16. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Can you both ride Mo-peds? Taxi's or Mo-ped's your choice. Shopping, Mo-peds and more shopping. That is my memory of Bermuda. Kim
  17. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Jeff, My wife & I did Bermuda in 1982, beautiful island but $$$$$ we did like it but we went in april, (mistake rained 3 of 5 days:( ).Thats how they get their drinking water, runoff from the roofs of their homes into storage tanks underneath. We have thought of going back numerous times but by the time you price out the trip you might just as well go to Hawaii. (we did twice), 100 times better than Bermuda, perfect weather year round, rainbows everywhere,lots of tropical greenery, man the flowers!! real orchids garnish your meals, the fresh Kona coffee in the morning!, no bugs, lots more to do and see, you`ll spend the same bucks. don`t screw around, you`ll celebrate your 10th only once.
    We`ve been to Oahu, Maui & Kawai we`d go back in a heartbeat ,and will!!
    mho. goodluck! breakemall, ML
  18. EJK

EJK TS Member

I go to Bermuda in the beginning of December – just came back a couple of weeks ago. The best hotel is the Fairmont Southampton. The Southampton is top shelve hotel located on the highest point in Bermuda. The hotel has it all – golf, spa (31,000 sq ft), great tennis and the finest restaurants. You can check the temperature in Bermuda but generally, the temp would be 68 to 72 and only drops a couple of degrees at night.
    Ed Kelly
  19. claybrdr

claybrdr Active Member

We've been half-dozen times 'cause my wife loves it. We loved the Belmont before it closed with the rich cedar panneling and Old World atmosphere. It was very convenient to the shopping in Hamilton and had its own golf course. The Southampton is where we've stayed in recent years and its nice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.