1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Beretta Model 92 9mm jamming problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by parrothead, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parrothead

parrothead Member

I recently purchased a used Beretta 92 9mm and was able to shoot it for the first time yesterday. I was unable to fire a full clip of ammo without it jamming. I tried two different types of ammo fired from two different magazines, one a 10 round the other a 15. The ammo used was CCI Bazer and Winchester Ball. The pistol seems to be ejecting the spent case but not feeding the next round consistently. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggested solutions? Any help you may have to offer would be greatly appreciated. -Dan

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sounds like the slide is not coming back at the right speed. Replace the recoil spring and make sure the slide and frame rails are clean, burr free and lightly lubed. If you know of anyone with a another 92 that is working well, try one of their magazines. The gun should be very reliable with the ball ammo.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

have you cleaned it?

Gene

4. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Check the locking block for cracks.

5. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

First, use the owners manual and follow their instructions to field strip, clean and lube the gun, then test fire the gun. Follow only the owners manual on this one, not someone's opinion as to how they think it should be done, that way if you deal with the factory at some point, you've followed the instructions provided by the factory. If it still fails, try something other than the CCI Blazer and Win. white box ammo. There's been a few problems with some of the white box ammo related to feeding. Not a lot, but the problems arise occasionally and I don't know if it's any particular gun or magazines.
    If the problems are still there, go buy a new, in the package Beretta magazine and try again. If the gun doesn't fail with a new, factory magazine, then the springs in the other mags may be weak. To find out, switch the new spring to the old mag. Could be the feed lips are slightly out of whack. Brownells sells a Beretta magazine feed lip gauge to check the mags.
    Wolfram gives good advice on the recoil spring too. Since it's used, someone may have replaced it with some sort of "trick" spring to race it up. If you can find a Beretta armorer, maybe you could talk them into replacing all the springs in the gun in case they've been replaced in an attempt to "customize" it.

6. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

#1 Inspect gun as mentioned above for cracked locking block and/or cracked slide, burrs, unseen debris in the slide rails, etc.

(I once shot a brand new, 92-F breaking it in for a Stratford, CT police officer that we immediately noticed was dropping spent cases at our feet - upon closer examination had a cracked slide new from the box!)

#2 change mags (then again, you've tried two already)

#3 try different ammo (Winnie white box 115s are notoriously light, as are certain lots of PMC 115s) see if you have better luck with 124s. These guns are designed around hot 124s, anyway. The slide may not be cycling 100% with the lighter ammo

#4 related to #3 above -- verify that your grip is firm enough. Although
    most handguns will often stove pipe due to a loose grip, I have seen them fail to feed from limp wristing.

#5 if steps 1 through 4 fail to resolve the issue - send it back

7. parrothead

parrothead Member

Thanks for all of your thoughts and suggestions. I will try a systematic approach to resolve the problem, cleaning/lubrication (although it does appear to be clean), another mag, different ammo, recoil spring, I am new to the model 92 and not exactly sure what the locking block is? So that I may check it for cracks? Could someone point me in the correct direction? Thanks again for your support. -Dan

8. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

The 92's will run dry and that will have no effect on breaking the frame or the locking block. The locking blocks normally fail when subjected to +P or +P+ ammo.
    Look closely at the cut out areas on the slide where the locking block wings mate to it. That's generally where they will crack but it's a fairly uncommon occurance for that to happen although as stevel-ct points out, it can happen. The only real test for the cracked slide is to remove all the working parts from the slide and hold it up with a finger and tap it with something lightly to make it ring. If it isn't cracked, it will make a nice ringing noise. If it is, the sound will be a dull "thunk" rather than ringing.
    So far, I've never seen a cracked frame and that includes one 92F that an officer shot (his issued gun) at point blank range with his 380 loaded with CorBon ammo. Hit it on top of the right grip panel where the rather thin frame connection behind the trigger. Bent it all up but didn't break the frame.

9. parrothead

parrothead Member

Thanks, the locking block does not appear to be cracked, however it did seem to operate a little sluggish. I gave it a good cleaning and lube as well as the entire pistol. That may have been the problem,(gummed up locking block)? I will locate a magazine that I know functions well and an owners manual since the original manual was misplaced by the previous owner. I have referred to the manual on the beretta web site for take-down, cleaning, and operation instructions. Thanks to all for your help! -Dan

10. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

"I was unable to fire a full clip of ammo without it jamming..."

See attached Wolff Gunsprings web link; replace the recoil spring and the mag springs, and possibly the guide rod; pick up the phone and talk to the Wolff techs, they know their stuff

- JoeBerg

11. airborne

airborne TS Member

Just bought a 92FS and the book that came with it said to refrain from using +P+ ammo. Something to remember.

12. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

OMG! Ten posts and nothing from the Brain.

13. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Have you let anyone else shoot the gun?
    Not trying to be funny, but could you be limp-wristing the gun.
    PG

14. C-Money

C-Money Member

My 92fs began jamming when I bought Remington UMC 9mm ammo. NEVER had any trouble before that. Swiched to CCI Blazer ammo I had with me, problem solved. The CCI seemed to have more "pop"/recoil. I will stay clear of the UMC ammo. C-money

15. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Polish the feed ramp on the barrel and the breech face. That usually takes care of feeding problems.

16. parrothead

parrothead Member

Must have been the gummed up locking block! I shot it today with same magazines/ammo. No jams what-so-ever. Thanks for all your help! -Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.