1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Benelli SBE trouble?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by randy-s, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randy-s

randy-s Member

I recently purchased an eight year old Benelli SBE camo gun on TS.com. It has failed several times while duck hunting. The gun does not eject the empty every time. Sometimes it just goes "click" when the trigger is pulled, leaving no dent in the primer. The gun has been cleaned and lubed regularly. The spring system in the stock seems to be fine. In talking with a few other Benelli owners it seems that this has happened before. My question is two fold. First, is this a common problem? Second what is the cure? TIA, Randy Shelton

2. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Randy I had the problem also when I first got my SBE. I was used to easing the bolt forward onto the loaded rounds as I had done with the 1100's and Berettas that I have. I would hear the click of the hammer hitting the firing pin but no mark on the primer. What you have to do is just let the bolt forward with full force. If you don't the bolt will not go all the way forward and lock into battery. I found this out by just pushing on the bolt handle and the bolt would travel forward maybe one eighth of an inch, rotate, and lock into battery. A simple push on the bolt handle will insure that it is locked. As for the not ejecting I think that you have a ammo problem. My SBE didn't care for the Remington Cheapo steel. Just a change to WW supreme made a big deal. And the new Federal Black Cloud hits them like a hammer out to where most people should be shooting them. Good luck you have a good gun there. Rick Gibbs

3. Duck

Duck Member

Rick has it if the rotary bolt does'nt lock your SOL. You can experiment like Rick mentioned you will soon notice when it's not locked up. SBE II's have a stainless recoil tube and plunger, the early SBE did not. If you neglect the recoil tube/spring in the early guns it will come back to bite you. I have two complaint's about the SBE's one is the standard bore on a 3 1/2" gun the other
    is when the gun is locked and loaded the bolt will hold the recoil tube slightly open not a big deal when being carried upland but in the blind most of the time your gun is standing upright and shot overhead, guess where all the moisture and powder fall's?. An aftermarket stainless recoil kit is available for early SBE and IMHO worth the cost.

4. Duck

Duck Member

Randy,

Both, corrosion + weak spring. Like Rick mentioned try some different ammo first. I found with mine after it was clean that less was better in the way of lube. It's get's cold late season in MN and for me to much and certain type's
    of even teflon oil's would make mine not cycle. The factory oil is hard to beat. I used to take of my stock (metric nut + washer pay attention to how the shim is aligned under the nut ) put the bolt back in the receiver with barrel off and pull the charging handle back to open the plunger in the recoil tube, then I would flush it with gun scrubber tipping it up + down until it ran clean. Repeat with lube and let stand so the excess can run out and reassemble. The factory use's a locktite when it assemble's the recoil tube, before I made the switch to the stainless sure cycle kit I used an electric heat gun and removed the rear threaded cap of the recoil tube. Mine (1992) had flat's on either side for a wrench and it took enough heat to scare me before it let go, same with the receiver end. I cleaned the locktite out of the thread's with a wire brush while still warm and used grease when I reassembled. If you decide to change the recoil spring assembly heat on the receiver end only and turn on the other end. If you would like the convenience of being able to remove the back of the recoil tube for cleaning etc. heat only that end. Honestly after I could remove my endcap for cleaning I doubt the stainless kit would be necessary for anyone that take's good care of his meatstick!. :) I do think if the gun see's a regular diet of 3 1/2" ammo you should replace the recoil spring every few year's.

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i just bought bernelli cordova and no problem yet. you must make sure bolt is closed and seated that's the only problem i see .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

benelli sbe 1 not ejecting