1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT--Beating a Speeding Ticket?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

In about a week you'll get several letters from lawyers in the county you received the ticket in. Pick a few and call.

In NC, you are allowed to plead guilty to improper equipment, if you haven't had such a plea in a certain period of time. You're a little unlucky, because the legislature just passed some new laws concerning this plea. Not sure 21 mph over will qualify.

Danny

2. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

slow down

3. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Pay the fine and slow down. Didn't hear you say you were not guilty. Or, hire a lawyer for $1K, get found guilty and then pay the fine and the lawyer. Your choice.

4. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Phil.......I am absolutely shattered that you would go 21 mph over the speed limit!You should be setting your sights on no less than 30 mph over the limit. If you're going to get a ticket....think BIG!

5. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Phil,

Don't listen to the people on this thread who know nothing about NC Traffic Laws. I'm not sure about the cut off for pleading improper equipment (21 mph over?) and if you're out of state. I know that an improper equipment plea cost me about $150 over the fine cost, and no insurance or driver points.

Danny

6. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Looks like the new law prohibits improper equipment pleas for tickets over 25 mph over the limit.

Those who propose to plead guilty and pay the fine haven't factored in the cost of increased insurance over the next 3 years. The PJCs and improper equipment pleas are built into the law here, and are available to almost all first offenses. It's expected that you will take advantage of it.

If you are in NC, the best prices on a lawyer to represent you will be one of the solicitations that you will get in a few days.

Danny

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I wouldnt take any of the advice offered above

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS- have a plan if the worst happens- that plan might involve losing your transportation to work

8. balance365

balance365 TS Member

I lived in NC for about 10 years in late 90s and early 00s. "Beat" the couple of speeding tickets I had by spending the $300 for a laywer. 15MPH over can get you suspended, it gets big points on your license and your insurance, no matter how squeaky clean, goes up considerably for the next 39 months, on top of the fines and court costs. My speeding tickets became equipment calibration (show me you were out of speedometer calibration within 24 hours and the ticket goes away) and a non-moving violation equipment failure. No points, no insurance changes, and it just "goes away". The $300 is probably a bit more now, but, to me well worth every penny.

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I would look for a lawyer who has experience with the NC legal system and who preferably knows the judges in the jurisdiction where you will have to appear in court.

A well connected and knowledgeable lawyer can often work legal wonders with certain judges in terms of “bargaining down” a ticket to a lesser offense.

I would not go to court without legal representation.

Also, be sure and have a “Plan B” in case the judge throws the book at you.

10. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

If you don't have a good radar detector, in my opinion you are just asking for it. Mine has to have saved me at least 10 grand over the last 25 years!

I don't want to drive like an old lady!!! I would rather pay $100 every 3 or 4 years! And there IS a big difference between driving swiftly and reckless, they are NOT the same!

11. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Personally, I wouldn't hire a lawyer for a speeding ticket. Call the prosecutor and talk to him/her. It can't hurt. Some states will have some sort of deferment option if you ask about it. Washington does, so does Colorado. The up side for me was that if I kept my nose clean for a year, the ticket went away. It helps if you have a clean driving record with no other tickets in the past three or four years. You may have to spend a day in court though.

Good luck.

Shawn

12. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

I got a speeding ticket once in a small town in North Alabama, I learned that the officer that uses the radar gun , must have current certification to calibrate & tune the radar equipment that they use, or the ticket is invalid, I waited & went to court Mentioned it to the arresting officer outside in the hall before court started , & he took me to the clerk & she tore my ticket up, no court cost no nothing. They probably had 100 "speeders" there that day for "Kangaroo Court". I dont think they wanted to upset the system that day. One the former officers from up there lived in my town, & gave me that tidbit of info, he knew that that paricular officer didnt have the credentials needed to make the ticket stick. I dont know if would have any merit nowadays or not.

Realist

13. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

to all the speeders here - consider this little trip of 160 miles. Driving at 60 mph will cover that distance in 160 minutes. Driving at 80 mph will cover that distance in 120 minutes. A savings of a big 40 minutes. But guess what, under most conditions (on the east coast), you cannot maintain 20 mph over the limit for 2 hours straight. so the big 40 minutes of time savings probably evaporates to less than 20 minutes. And if you get stopped, that time is gone too. Many people here complain about shooting costs and I would also point out that you would greatly improve your gas mileage by slowing down.

14. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Speed kills and costs:)

38-01615

15. swamp rat

swamp rat TS Member

A few year back I had a friend that got a speeding ticket in Ohio he was travleing north on I75 just out of Dayton. He was travleing with 6 other cars all were running about 80 mph. When he was pull over he told the officer I know why you pulled me over but why did you pull me over instead of one of the other cars? The officers reply was Have you ever been Duck Hunting

16. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

First get your car calibrated(sp) see if the car speedomiter(sp) is off or not. Most will give you 2 mph. You might get lucky and get more. Do go and fight it because you don't know if the officer screwed up his paper work. That has happened in the past in some courts. Were you caught in a speed limit change area? Say from 65 to 45? If so where were you when he clocked you? In the 65 area or the 45 area? There are some cops who have radar that will clock you before you are in the lower speed area and then nail you. Go and fight the ticket. Also here in Va they have a book that judges the laywers A B C D F and so on. I don't know if NC has a book as such. Go and try to find one if you can and when you get names of lawyers you can look up their grade.

17. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

chatbrat,

You must live in eastern NC, based on your path to Bragg. As I suggested, wait for the letters from attorneys that will come in about a week. Call several and chat. If improper equipment is available to you, you can have your speedometer calibrated during the process. It cost me $20. It doesn't matter what the speedometer calibration was before the procedure.

Listen to nomderf, who knows about these things, and slow down.

Don't listen to people outside NC who don't know about NC law. Especially don't listen to anyone from Iowa, with all best regards.

You can follow my advice and take advantage of the lawyer scam. Or you can do it alone and take advantage of the insurance scam, which raises your rates significantly for at least 3 years.

Danny

18. lightfoot

lightfoot TS Member

Chatbrat,

Danny is right on the money. Anyone that questions his advice on this issue is a jerk, an idiot, or both. A few years ago, my wife got a ticket in Moore County, NC. Called up one of the lawyers that sent us a letter. Sent him a check for about $150 (that was worth not having to drive back to Moore County and waste a day in court). He went to court for us, got it reduced to improper equipment (just like Danny says) and actually sent us a partial refund because he got the fine reduced! Never went to court. Never actually met the lawyer in person. No points, no record, no nothing. It goes away. Lawyer told us to save prayer for judgment deferred for when we do something REALLY bad. Good luck!

19. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Put bigger tires on your car. That will make the car go faster then what it saids its going. In other words you think your car is doing 55 while you are driving it but with bigger tires your car is doing (depending on the size) 60 62 miles an hour.

20. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

Why don't you "just strap em on" and pay it. You earned it, its no one elses fault so own up to it and pay it like 99 percent of the population would do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.