1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Bats

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dmarbell, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I have a colony of bats at my house. They are roosting in a gable end vent. See pic below. There appear to be about 40 of them.

They are not actually inside the attic, for the most part. The vent is "sealed" with a screen inside the vent. They are just roosting on the outside of the screen. I say "for the most part" because I have two other vents, and there is a small amount of guano beneath those. (I can't easily get to the one in the pic, as that area has no flooring.) There are either a few getting past the screen, or the droppings are getting through.

Should I get rid of the colony? I have remarked to a few neighbors that we have few mosquitos this year, almost none. I have some pet-proof screen that I can put up on the outside of the vents, if I do it at night or after I run the colony away.

Should I just clean up after them, and leave them alone? How about a bat house?

Danny

[​IMG]

2. wackdux

wackdux TS Member

Get rid of them, the droppings can make you very sick. It cost me $1000 to get them out of the attic and out of the house 2 days to remove the poop. You can build something outside if you want to keep them around.

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They are roosting in the gabel vent because it is warm weather. When it turns cold they will look for a way inside your atic where it is warm. I would build a bat house and put it on a pole away from the house. You can put screen on the outside of the gabel vent to encourage them to move away from the house. If your house has an overhanging roof they may just move somewhere else where they can find shade.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer

4. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

See if you can get someone to relocate them. Not an easy task because they have a way of finding their way back. However, they are in declining numbers in some areas of the country due to unknown causes. They're droppings are also used for fertilizer (guano) and I don't know if TB has been directly attributed to breathing the dust from their feces but have heard that said.
    Bats eat plenty of disease causing insects ( i.e. west nile mosquitos) and usually only the sick ones are a nusance because their sonar is affected when they are sick. If they fly over your head at night they are eating the insects attracted by your scent.
    I worked in a store where they would fly in through the truck bays at night because of the insects. The store purchased nets and we re-released them outdoors. This went on for years without incident. They are not easy to catch.
    Or build a deluxe bat house, I would.

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Go on line and find instructions on "Bat Houses". Build a couple and see what happens. They are very simple to make.

There is just one of the many sites with plans.

You want them around, eat bugs like crazy!!

Especially the blood sucking kind!

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Don't kill them. They are use full as you said for bugs. In my area they are have something called white nose fungus. It is killing the brown bat. Our numbers are down and we do need them in our area because of the bugs.

Build the bat boxes and see if they use them. Put them close to where they are now so they have a place to go. Once they start to use them slowly start to move it away from the house to a tree or something. Put your screen up so they stop using your house and their own.

7. FIB

FIB Member

We have had a bat "problem" on and off for several years. I think I have found every small orifice in our home to keep them out. My wife is terrifed of them and I'm not exactly fond of them either. I know they are very benefical but we don't want them in our home. Some evening after they have left your gable vent I would install some wire screen so they cannot get into your attic. Once they get comfortable someplace they are hard to remove.

8. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

So that's where that white nose fungus is coming from disinfectant??? Ya think?

9. FIB

FIB Member

I was told if you put moth balls in the attic that also drove them out????

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Small bat houses that only host a two or three bats scattered around your property are fine, and are encouraged to help the species, plus reduce the bug population.

But having that many in a domicile is a health hazard.

Set up some bat houses away from your home, then go up at night at put hardware cloth on the outside of the gable vent. Do it at night when they fly away. Don't shoo them away during the day, the bright sunlight can blind them and leave them vulnerable to cats.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

West Nile Virus and Equine Encephilitus is a lot worse than a little bat dodo. HMB

12. porky

porky TS Member

Bat houses are open on the bottom so and guano will fall to the ground and that's how the bats fly in the house. The will hold a quite a few of the bats. probably all that you have. If you have bats around, you will have a great deal less insects around. This is a big plus in my book, especially with any diseases that the insects carry now. If you erect a bat house on the backside of a building that isn't hit by the hot sun, the bats will flock to it. You won't really have to climb up and put more screening on your gable. If you don't want the bats, look for a neighbor to erect the bat house. A lot of people consider them a plus. You won't even know that they are there during the day and you will have to try to see them in the lights at night. They are a silent pest control and probably the best one ever made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.