1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Baby Back Ribs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Harb, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harb

Harb TS Member

here is one from Traeger Grills

http://www.traegerindustries.com/Recipes11Index.htm

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Go to store, buy a couple racks of Lloyd's, take home and heat in oven.

Pretty damn good.

Easy too.

HM

3. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Corky's ribs are awesome, although they're kinda expensive to mailorder.

4. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Phil,

I use a charcoal.

Rub ribs with McCormacs (sp?) grill mates pork rub then brown the ribs on each side for about 20 minutes. Then place the ribs bone side down on 3-layers of foil cover with 2-layers of foil and close up tight. Let cook for 1 1/2 hours then turn (not flip) so the end that was on the right is now on the left and cook for another 1/2 hour. I know several people who take the ribs out at this time to add sauce (if you like) or to brown the meat a little more.

By then the ribs should fall off the bone.

enjoy

Jerry

5. jmas

jmas TS Member

BBQ Ribs
    Take four or five racks and lightly dry rub them with various peppers, white, black, and cayenne, lightly salt, a teaspoon of liquid smoke, a teaspoon of worchestershire, then place them piled on top of each other and cover them in a turkey roasting pan. Place in a 275 degree oven for five hours. When done, the meat is just starting to peel back a little. Let cool for a half hour, then take out and pile them on a cookie sheet with spacers in between, I use large spoons. Cover with plastic wrap and put in fridge on a couple hot pads to get cold. When cold, cut into single rib sections and lightly slather with your favorite sauce. Reheat to eat. They are ready to eat when they come out of the oven, but fall apart. They are easy to cut cold, and hold together better. They always taste better reheated and double cooked. Good eating. We also use garlic pepper and lemon pepper in the rub AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!
    jmas

6. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

Hope you got a smoker. Although this is a bunch of work, follow the directions above except cut the salt in half. They are worth the time. Since I started doing ribs on the smoker a couple of years ago, I wouldn't think of doing them any other way. These will knock your socks off.

7. Pump4Smoke

Pump4Smoke Member

All the above sound good. Glad to see nobody is boiling them first! Best advice I can add it be sure to remove the membrane on the inside of the rack. take a paper towel and pinch the edge of the rack. the dry paper towel will grab the edge of this film and you should be able to pull this sheet off in one or two pieces. It looks just like a piece of plastic film. This will allow the meat to cook completely and the connective tissue, if cooked long enough at low temps, will allow these ribs to just fall apart when you eat them....yum, got to cook some this week now...

8. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"All the above sound good. Glad to see nobody is boiling them first!"</blockquote>

My wife always boils the darned things before she sticks them on the grill, but that's OK by me 'cause I can't stomach them...all fat and bone. Rather have a chunk of tuna or a wild salmon.

Mike

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Mike,

Are you sure those are "baby back" ribs? I always use the baby backs as there is hardly ANY fat on these. Now "spare" or "pork" ribs have quite a bit of flavor, aka fat.

10. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

The best way to make ribs is with a smoker period. Why anyone would par boil ribs is beyond me unless your making soup. I smoke a lot of ribs both back ribs and spares. Last Saturday I smoked 16 racks plus 2 pork shoulders for my Saint Patricks day party. For removing membrane pour hot water in the sink over the membrane for a few seconds grabe on to the membrane and pull it off. Dry your ribs with paper towels and season. I also rub brown sugar into some of my ribs to give them a little sweeter taste. After seasoning let the ribs rest for about a half hour. If you let seasoned ribs rest for a longer period they sometimes create a hammy flavor. Put them in your smoker and cook at 225 or less. Back ribs are usually done in about three hours give or take. If you want fall of the bone ribs after about an hour and a half wrap the racks in heavy tin foil and make sure you fold the seams tight. Now your ribs will kind of steam cook and should be done in a hour or better. You can with some practice control how tender you prefer your ribs by how long you foil. Ribs are usually done when the meat shrinks a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch up the bone.

I use cherry wood with some oak and hickory. The trick for having good smoke is to have enough air in your fire box as to have a real light white to blue smoke coming out your smoke stack. Dont have a heavy white smoke. When i figure out how to post pictures i can explain better how easy it really is to make ribs.

11. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

Next Tueday we're cooking 800# of ribs for our club meeting. Reservations are almost filled already.<br>
    We cut the rib slabs in half to make them easier to handle. Put the ribs on the grill bone side down and cook until light brown and then flip them over and brown the meaty side. Flip them again bone side down and the grease cooks away. When cooked, plunge them into BBQ sauce cut with a little CC. (Canadian Club)We use sweet baby rays. <br>
    Then stack them in trays and put them in a 250-275 oven for at least 3-4 hours. The meat falls off the bone and the grease was cooked away on the grill. <br>
    The nice thing about doing it this way is that you can cook the ribs one day and then heat them to serve them at a later time. If you have leftovers (not usually here) you can freeze them and take them out (add half a can of beer to each tray to make sure they stay moist) and warm them in the oven for a couple of hours.

12. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Man I'm so hungry I could eat shoe leather. BBQ'd of course. FD

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I probably shouldn't do this but I will willfully put my health on the line and taste test any and all ribs for quality, texture, and give my expert opinion to all of those who send a slab my way ... The reason I need a full slab is to give my honest opinion both when warm and cold and you cannot get the real taste off of 1 or 2 bones ... You can find me in the book and make sure you ship them over night, if I get enough I will eat them at every meal until they are gone and post my findings ... Respecfully, WPT ... (YAC) ... and rib eating expert ...

14. thespan

thespan TS Member

Fellow Shooters!

May I suggest the following:

Prepare the BB ribs as you do with removal of the membrane.

Prior to the application of the dry rub (I heartily recommend "Head Country" from Ponca City, OK.), lightly coat and rub the meat with Worchester Sauce or some equivalent soy sauce based product.

Then, apply the dry rub liberally but not too much (gets too salty) and you do not have to physically rub it into the meat.

Now, get the rib rack out, and start at a much lower temperature, like 225 or 250 for about 1 to 2 hours.

Then, here is the critical step, wrap the ribs, each slab seperately, with a double-layer heavy aluminum foil and don't ask me why, but make sure the ribs are wrapped on the reflective or shiny side.

Return the wrapped ribs to the oven at 225 again for atleast another hour or so.

When the cut ends of the rib bones are atleast 1/4 inch further out from the meat and the slab is "floppy" (it will practically be able to bend in half),. then you have "fall of the bone" babyback ribs.

Enjoy and eat well!

Peter Greenspan

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a Teager Smoker. I bast the ribs with tobasco sauce and keep doing it until they look reddish while cooking ( wont be as hot as it sounds, the sauce cooks down) After slow cooking at 180 for about 8 hours, I put them in the oven in a pan with enough water to steam for about 30 45 minutes. It is a very good recipe and very easy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.