1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Avoiding a new ripoff

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by exnavy81, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exnavy81

exnavy81 TS Member

Think long and hard about rushing to a dealership that is going out of business. There are some that have taken trade ins to sell a new car and are not paying off the note on the trade in like they are promissing. You get a new car and get to keep making payments on the old one they took from you as well!!

2. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I'll wait until the Obamamobile comes out; I'll get mine with Barry Colored interior. It will have an Ass (the animal, not the beauty) mounted as a hood orniment. I'll buy it in green so it will remind me of the money that I use to have. The complex problem is do I trade my VW Beatle or Hyundai Tiburon in on it? Great days are coming. Komrad Darrell

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

This is not a new ripoff, but an old problem with some dealers in trouble. They can also take payment for the new vehicle and never pay off the manufacturer or their finance company. That would stick you with the bill either way. I've seen people stuck with the payments for their old car plus a new car they don't own. It takes awhile in the courts to resolve, even if you can.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Very good advice you guys. Thanks.

5. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

There was a dealer (Chrysler) on Fox news yesterday that said he has been advised by the company that if he sells any new cars to individuals starting today that they are sold as is, no warranty. He can sell them to other dealers & warranty will then be valid???? Either he is full of it or Chrysler people are nuts. Who would buy a new car with no warranty? Makes no sense but I know I wouldn't buy a new car under those conditions. Colonel

6. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Be sure and keep everything associated with the purchase, especially utilize a payment that can be confirmed. The UCC rules will protect you with a "good faith purchase" (you pay knucklehead, he doesn't pay bank, floor planner,... rule states that upon evidence of good faith payment, you are entitled to receive your title from the institution holding such.) Also, most States have consumer laws that will assist you with a good faith purchase.

I cannot remember the exact rule, but PM me if you need it.

7. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Saw one interview on the news and what I think it said was that as of today the 10th all those Chrysler cars are to be sold back to the Chrysler people and actually can't be sold with warranty to an individual. It's a mess I know and locally in Champaign there are several dealers who are loosing their franchises of those cars. One in Danville, two in Champaign and several others that are within 40minute drives of here. I think they left one in Champaign. I've always liked their products and I've had 8 of them since my first one was a 73 Charger new off the showroom floor. I wonder if they will stay in business long enough to own 8 more? Dan

8. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Years back I sold a cheap foreign car to a couple who had purchased a new car from a Plymouth dealership and paid cash, and lost the car. The dealership went out of business and their car was repossessed by the bank. They took it to court and the court awarded the car to the bank as they held a note against the car which the dealer did not pay. They lost the cash and the car.

After that I started using a site draft where the bank will not turn over the money till the title is in their hands and you do have a limited time to see it, if you want to. Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.