1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT;Auto Tires

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rrose, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrose

rrose TS Member

Need advise from auto people. My car a Pontiac Vibe, economy car, has 205/55/16 tires. These are very high price high speed rated tires. Why they put high speed rated tires on an economy car is a mystery to me. Can I go to a different size tire say a 215/60/16 tire to get a less costly replacement that will also be ok. I am not concerened about the speedo being off as I do not drive that fast and I use my GPS which has the speed on it also. The last tires I put on it were about 70-75 per tire and they are awful , they make so much noise it is frustrating. It just does not seem right to have to spend 115-155 per tire for tires for an economy car, I don't mind it for my truck but those tires are much bigger. Appreciate any imput I can get.
    Thanks
    randy

2. missemucho

missemucho Member

Randy:
    One of my friends had the same problem: Mazda 3 with $150 ea EOM tires! Try http://tires-easy.com

They have a comprehensive list of less expensive tires in your size you might like without going to the possible problems associated with changing sizes, aspect ratios, etc.
    John

3. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Hard to go wrong with any of the Michelin tires.

Discount Tire or Costco are usually competetive in pricing.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

You can go less on the width but to keep the OD the same with the taller profile you would need to go the other way...195/60/16 not any cheaper though, but looking through the results on the link Im posting you can get some very good tires in the 205/55/16s for under 80 bux a tire...not bad at all

5. uawelder

uawelder TS Member

You said this was an economy car, right. If you go with wider tires your fuel economy or mpg will go down. Also your car will hydroplane easier in the rain and your traction in the snow will decrease. There will now be too much surface area/contact patch on the road for the weight of the vehicle. You will be in for some white knuckle driving when the weather turns foul. Speaking from the been there done that pulpit.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Listen to GOLD E, Michelins are the way to go

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If you go to the website shown above and click on the Tire Size Calculator you will find the tradeoffs on diameter. I have a 2008 Jeep Patriot with 215/65/17 size tires and a limited selection of replacement tires. If I buy 16 inch wheels, I can get many more choices of new tires with virtually the same diameter and speedometer readings.

8. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

what ever you do, do not change the overall diameter of the tire it will through off all engine specs., breaking,cruise control, ect,ect... If by chance you get into an accident and the Law dogs or insurance co. investigate, you are taking a chance.

9. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I agree with trapshootingfran. DO NOT change the diameter by more than about 3%.
    The computer will screw up royally esp in the way it runs your engine. Braking sensitivity and all the other responces will be affected,also. You may run into clearance problems with frame & suspension. As a really good place to start & for information on the tires themselves I would go to tirerack.com & use their tire comparing graphs & info & the comments that people make. They also actually run tests on tires. Good luck,it is a real quagmire out there. Be careful about what you hear from a tire dealer. Remember,he is pushing his brand & one that will make the most $$$. Visit at least 3. Also,any tire you buy should have a return policy. Another thing,a lot of places like Sears & Wal-Mart offer good sales & very importantly offer free balance & rotate for the life of the tire. This can save 100's of dollars. I got my last tires from Tire Rack,great price & service,but the Wally would have been only a few $ more. Had Wally not been 110 mile round trip I would have gone there.

10. rrose

rrose TS Member

This is great info. Thank you to all who responded. It looks like I will stay with the 205/55/16 tires and try to find the best deal on good tires and pay what ever it costs.
    thanks
    randy

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Don't skimp on tires, brakes, suspension, wipers & lamps. Your life, the lives of your loved ones & others on the road deserve the best.

Lou

12. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

Sam's Club has a Yokohama tire in your size for around $80.00. These are a good speed rated tire. Have them on my wife's Pacifica as replacements for Michelins.

13. stkelly62

stkelly62 TS Member

Just remember to follow Obamas advice and have your
    new tires properly inflated to save gas so you'll
    have enough money for your next trapshoot.

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Find out what the diameter of your tires are and find something within an inch and you'll be fine. Go online and check for 70/60 series tires, they publish the diameter specs - you'll have no problems.

OEM H/V/Z rated tires are easy to put on and build into the cost of a new car payment, but need replacements and find out they cost $150-200/tire well after you're into the car - wow wee!

If you don't go 100+ mph too often, an S/T rated tire is more than sufficient - find a good GoodYear Eagle or Goodrich Radial TA or Continental...

Jay

15. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Just a recomendation from a very happy Bridgestone tire user.

Eric

16. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Do NOT, AND i REPEAT DO NOT, buy Michelin tires!! They got many, many of our boys killed in Vietnam. They are owned by the French, and the bastards wouldn't let the US pursue the VC into their rubber plantations. "F" Michelin!!

17. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Only buy tires made in China- which is most of them.

18. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Talk to the service mgr. at your local dealership ( not service advier who writes you up on the service island) and he will tell you what is compatable and not. Then take it back there and let them calibrate it. It is all done through the computer in service dept. and factory.

Car dealer for 35 years

19. acre44

acre44 Member

I had a set of Michelins on my Trailblazer when I bought it new. Got a whole 30,000 miles out of them before they wore out. No more Michelins for me.

Toad.

20. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Randy, Let me offer up experience from thirty years in the tire industry. First thing you need to do is go to some of the tire makers web site and see what speed ratings are avilable in your current tire size. I know for a fact that you can buy S rated (118 mph)tires and that should bring the cost down drastically. Secondly, look at Tire Racks web site and get the dimensions on your current tire size including overall diamemter, width, and loaded radius. then ask for a match on diamemter tkae note of the recommende rim widths. as long as your with in 1" on the rim width recomendations you will have no problems stay with in one half inch on diameter and you'll have no speedo issues to worry about. As for noise, look for and aal season tread design and and S or T rated tire whidh will deliver more miles and usally a quieter ride. Down side, loss of quick responsive handeling at higher speeds in excess of 70 MPH. Look at tires made by Copper Tire, Hancok or Sumitomo, all quality product lines that offer good value for the dollar. Fianlly tlak to your local Independent Tire dealer, not NTB nor discont Tire or the other mass merchadisers including Sears they don't have the expertise to help you.
    Bruce Specht

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.