1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT auto brake question?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Frank C, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Strange problem with Brakes and the girlfriends car. 2003 Buick Century, the issue... after parking for a while (overnight) when shifting into Drive the brakes appear locked, with a fair amount of gas before it'll move. BUT shift it into reverse first and then to D and no issues.

so this morning, I drop it in N and back down the driveway , slight downhill grade, coast to a stop and start to roll forward, no issues, slight grade, then I applied the brakes, released and the car sticks on the hill!! open the door, push in reverse with my foot and it "breaks loose" and begins to roll forward again.

Time did not permit me to remove the front wheels today and look at the pads, but I did lift the front up, no dragging, tires spun freely. I DID remove the rear drums, no issues, the wheel cyl's were not frozen or sticky, no issues with the look of the pads/wear?? I am stumped. I will remove the fronts tomorrow and see if there is an issue?? But I cannot imagine how the calipers would lock up the roror ONLY going forward??? Ideas???

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Why do you think it's the front brakes? Sounds like your rear drum brakes are worn out, out of adjustment or the adjusting harware is frozen. If you are in the habit of using your parking brake, you could have frozen brake cable issues.

3. Frank C

Tron, I mentioned that I looked at the rears, NO issues with all that you mentioned. She NEVER uses the parking brake.

Hardware was fine, springs fine, the cylinder would push from one side to the other...Frank

4. vdt

vdt Active Member

was there much dust in rear drums,that is the most popular problem causing those problems

5. Frank C

rear drum didn't have a lot of dust OR rust, the drums came off relatively easy.....tomorrow I will have a look at the fronts

6. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I wonder if your problem is some kind of malfunction of the brake/transmission interlock related to the "unanticipated acceleration" issue, and something electronic is applying or locking the brakes or the transmission at the wrong time. It might be worth a call to the service manager at a local Buick dealer to see if it's a common problem that they know about. Put a different way, the brakes may not be what's stopping the car.

Ted K.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Our cars exhibit "sticky" brakes after being driven in the rain and then parked in our garage overnight. The water on the floor coupled with the heat in the brakes from driving causes the rotors to develop light surface rust and since most brake pads are semi-metallic, they apparently rust together. When we shift into gear to leave the garage, the brakes have to "break free" before the car moves and if we ride the brakes down the driveway, they make a rubbing, scraping noise for the first 10 yards or so.

It's odd that the condition is more pronounced on my Regal with four-wheel disc brakes that my wife's Saturn Vue with front disc/rear drum brakes. It only happens if we drive home on wet roads.

Ed

8. traphouse52

traphouse52 Member

Good chance it is in the anti-lock brake system. When one starts ot go bad or has any issues thye can do some strange things be fore giving up. NOT A GOOD THING AT TIMES. Suggest checking your symptoms on Google, and if you don't get a good answer take it to a dealer for a scan. At times the antilocks can fail with no warning. I had one quit just as I was pulling in to my garage. Luckily I got it stooped before the wall!!

9. Frank C

Hmmmm, Traphouse might be onto something......the anti lock warning light came on a few weeks ago during a snowstorm, went off on its own but.....

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The ABS being the source of a no-stop condition would surprise me since when the system malfunctions, you simply resort to non-ABS brakes. Also, any electrical or pressure abnomality that could cause the brakes to not release fully will illuminate the ABS warning light. I had the hydraulic unit on our old 1992 Blazer develop an internal leak perhaps 15 years ago and I only knew something was wrong because the light came on. The brakes functioned normally except that on a slippery surface, I would not have had the anti-lock feature.

The ABS light should come on when the system is operational, such as stopping on a snow-covered surface, and go out when the system is no longer needed. If the red "BRAKE" warning light comes on, there is a problem but it could be something as minor as a slightly low brake fluid level due to pad wear.

Have you/she owned the car long enough to know what "normal" brake operation really is?

Ed

11. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

You should still have brakes if your antilock fails. I would believe if your abs light came on and went off a few days later, you probably had a wheel sensor get real dirty/nasty/frozen etc. and it came back online in a few days. I had a weak battery in my Explorer and the antilock system didn't work. New battery fixed it, but I never had the brakes fail. Corrosion is probably causing your problems.

Nick

12. three-reloaders

three-reloaders TS Member

Try manually adjusting the rear brakes. I have seen this with not enought adjustment in the shoes. Self adjusters not keeping them adjusted.

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

My LeSabre and '04 Impala had the same problem (all disk brakes though) and would sometimes lock into place like the wheels were square when I let then sit for more than a couple days. I've had so many sets of new rotors and pads put on the Impala I've lost count. The anti-lock brakes and/or traction control has malfunctioned so many times that if the dash light for that didn't go on for more than a day I'd think something was wrong. When the speedo started randomly zooming a couple years ago the dealer said that the instrument cluster was probably the cause all along and that my "perceived brake problem" was "power of suggestion" caused by the malfunctioning traction control light (pretty dumb conclusion since the car had trouble stopping and stuff). Replaced instrument cluster. Light came back on the next day and has been off & on continuously ever since (multiple mechanics baffled). Yet another of the many reasons this Impala will be my last GM ever.

-Gary

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

ABS is a monitioring / passive system only un till a wheel sensor sends a signal indicating wheel lock up. Being an 03 chance are remote it's related to the ABS. My guess is the combination valve (if so equiped) is sticking when the system cools down . Or you may have calipers that aren't releasing completely, (frozen caliper) then again the caliper slides may need to be replaced or lubricated

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Dumb question, are the primary and secondary shoes in the rear in the right positions? There is one shoe with more material than the other. Also, weak/stretched springs/hardware can possibly cause something like that. It's unlikely that the ABS would cause it.

16. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Tighten that Loose Nut behind the steering wheel... Works every time!

WesleyB

Sorry couldnt resist it!

17. Frank C

she has had the car for several years. the rear adjusters are working, not rusted! fronts tomorrow....

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

ABS would have nothing what so ever to do with this. I still believe it's in the rear drum braking system. Quackshot does bring up a very good point and I have seen people mix up the primary and secondary shoes....but, this is a front wheel drive and (but I'm no GM expert) this should be a non-servo type of braking system, so there wouldn't be a primary or secondary shoe that has more braking material. The duo-servo (has different primary and secondary shoe proportions) are USUALLY found on rear drive vehicles that have different weight distribution and require a more aggressive rear brake design.

Hmmmm.....interesting.

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

It sounds like claipers not releasing completley.

20. Frank C

??? I took the front wheels off tonight, could NOT make the calipers stick, all seemed fine, no abnormal wear on the pads or rotors??? she will drive it some more till "something" happens....thanks for all the ideas!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.