1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-ATTN: Bush Supporters and Bush Bashers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I wanted to, and have been, engaging in debates about our foreign policy in Iraq. This was meant to be an intellectual exercise, as we trapshooters cannot affect policy.

Most of the discussions I've either started or participated in have degraded into name calling, slurs and hateful denunciations. One member, after having another member ask if he had dog poop for brains, responded by telling him he hoped he got ass cancer.

I believe the difference between us and other warring people of the world, like the Iraqis, Iranians, and others, is that we genuinely care for each other. I have never liked the Yankees, so I am by default a mild Red Sox fan. I can wear a Sox hat, catch crap from a Yankees fan, tell him his team bites, and then we can have a laugh and buy each other a beer or three. If a Shia tells a Sunni "if you don't ride a camel, you ain't Shiite," then the Sunni will try to kill the Shia and all his family for ten generations to come.

To do my own small, pathetic part to maintain our civility, I am withdrawing from these discussions. I am a new shooter, and have asked some good questions and some dumb questions about shooting, and all who have responded have been thoughtful and helpful. I'd like to be able to meet (most) of you at shoots without having to ask you about any improvements in your dog poop brains or your ass cancer treatments.

Danny

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Don Surber: Democrats ‘achieve' 14 percent approval

PI looked at the numbers last month, the Gallup Poll showed President Bush's job approval was at 32 percent, and Congress was at 24 percent. Could things get any worse?

Of course they can. Never underestimate the power of the Democratic Party to self-destruct.

The first job approval numbers for July are in and the Reuters/Zogby Poll shows Bush at 34 percent, Congress at 14 percent.

Under Democratic leadership, Congress has gone from the brink of the abyss and leaped. Whee!

Pollster John Zogby broke down the numbers.

"The Democratic Congress gets poor marks across the ideological spectrum -- just 21 percent of liberals and 10 percent of the very liberal give it positive marks, while 14 percent of conservatives and 14 percent of the very conservative give it positive ratings," Zogby wrote.

"Among Democrats, just 19 percent give Congress positive marks, compared to 13 percent of Republicans and 8 percent of political independents.

"By way of comparison, the Republican Congress had a 23 percent positive job approval rating last October, just a week before voters tossed the GOP out of their leadership posts in both houses."

After six months, Democrats do have one bipartisan accomplishment: Everyone hates Congress.

Not so George Walker Bush. Among Republicans, 63 percent still think he is doing an outstanding job

Congress now has no base outside of its staff, the reporters who cover it and Mom, and even she is wavering.

I am not laughing. I am not gloating. I am troubled.

I am not alone. Law professor Glenn Reynolds, who runs the Instapundit Web site, wrote, "This has gone past the point of being funny. It's really worrisome."

In a democracy, people must have faith in their institutions. In a totalitarian government, fear will do.

The problem is that neither party shows leaders in Washington who are in touch with the realities that their constituents face. Congressmen and senators have too much money, too much power and too much tenure.

Last year, the congressional Republicans went hog wild on pork spending. Prosecutors put a couple of them in prison for selling favors. One of them was caught messing with the House pages, who are the equivalent of political altar boys.

Voters threw the bums out. But unlike 1994, when voters voted in new Republican leadership, voters elected the old Democratic leadership. Democrat David Obey of Wisconsin became House appropriations chairman -- again after a 12-year absence.

This is reform?

Instead of addressing the energy crisis, tax reform, securing the borders or even increasing production of U.S. oil to end America's reliance on foreign oil, Democrats have one agenda item: Putting Bush's head on a plate.

Their inability to impeach Bush may explain why only 19 percent of Democrats approve of the job being done by the Democratic Congress.

But what about the 8 percent job approval by independents?

Instead of debates, we get stunts like this week's all-night filibuster.

Instead of compromise, we get up-or-down votes without amendments.

Instead of tackling problems, we get hundreds of investigations into Bush.

Instead of civility we get Democratic Senate Leader Harry Reid of Nevada taking a below-the-belt verbal jab at Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., and then making Specter wait 30 minutes to respond.

Democratic leaders want to do nothing. They want to portray Republicans as obstructionists and Bush as evil, in the hopes of securing the presidency in 2008 and a 60-vote majority in the Senate.

This probably will work.

In driving down the public's confidence in the federal government, Democrats are counting on apathy. That is what happened in 2006 when more Republican voters from 2004 stayed home than Democratic voters did.

But what if it doesn't? What if the public sees this cynicism for what it is? Whither the democracy?

Our Congress will take the month of August off. They can take September through December off, too, for all I care.

For the sake of the Republic, I hope that Democrats will get together at some point, review the public's reaction and come up with a plan to accomplish something other than pin-the-blame-on-the-elephant.

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

That was me with the ass cancer retort. Am I proud of it? No. However, I will lash out like that when told that I have dog feces for brains because I disagree with a Liberal. If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

Hey Danny, pulling the old cut-and-run Liberal routine, eh. Start heated debates and then bow out with the old woe-is me. Typical, oh so typical.

Brett

P.S.- I bet that I can go through my old posts and find where I've helped you with trap related questions in the past. So, thanks for trying to throw me under the bus because of the ass cancer remark. Screw you.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

stokin:

Not my biz, but what does that have to do with the topic?

HM

5. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

"That was me with the ass cancer retort. Am I proud of it? No. However, I will lash out like that when told that I have dog feces for brains because I disagree with a Liberal."

Hey! I didn't say you have dog poop for brains because you are anti-liberal. I said it because you are stupid. LOL.

6. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Brett,

Thanks for the help in the past. Perhaps you can help me again in the future. As a relatively new shooter, I'm sure I'll need it.

Brett and jnoemanh,

I actually wasn't trying to pick on you two, just show an example of why I've decided to "cut and run." (I have really decided to "redeploy" my energy into the sport itself, rather than splitting our shooting community with debates which have no possible resolution.)

Danny

7. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Bullshot- that was the point of my statement above- I don't REALLY hope ANYONE gets ANY form of cancer. My grandmother and father both died of cancer. It's called SARCASM, Look it up sometime. I have no desire to share air with you either, ignorant Bullhead.

8. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Brett,

Reference deleted. I suggest you do the same. I didn't realize what I was setting you up for, honestly. Looks like deletion is the best remedy for this.

Danny

9. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I'm not deleting anything. Never have and never will. I'm not the cut and run type. If I honestly wished cancer upon someone, I would tell them and everyone on here that I meant it. I didn't. I said something that I shouldn't have when provoked, and it was said in sarcasm. If people don't want to beleive that, then screw them.

The way that this forum has been headed lately I could frankly give a rat's ass if I even visit here anymore, and I've been kicking around here since 2000. The funny thing about it is, it seems to me that 99% of the time it's a newbie to the forum that starts this sh*t. Then after they have their little fun and have irritataed and provoked people, they leave. And I'm a bad person? What about these gutless bastards?

10. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

"The way that this forum has been headed lately I could frankly give a rat's ass if I even visit here anymore,"

Buh-bye. LOL

11. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Want to put it up to a vote on who stays or goes jnoe? I haven't seen one person on here besides your butt-buddy rev that likes anything that you have to say, you worthless troll.

12. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

You're the one who said -

"The way that this forum has been headed lately I could frankly give a rat's ass if I even visit here anymore"

Forget to put your dog poop in gear? LOL

13. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

"besides your butt-buddy rev"

I just wish these guys would keep the name calling to my face...but then I doubt many would.

annonymity breeds courage...and its very sad.

14. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Nytto,

Go back and reread my second paragraph. My offer was to delete the last sentence of my second paragraph, which I did, apparently before you starting reading this thread. Without that sentence, my post meant absolutely nothing and I can understand your confusion. I've added it back. If I had to ask about those things, it's because others on this site had wished it upon other members.

I also lost a wife to cancer, a little over 14 years ago. Today would have been her 53rd birthday. That's probably why I am withdrawing from political discussions - Brett's misguided attempt at sarcasm went too far. Sometimes things hit a little too close to home.

Respond and let me know that you have reread the post. I have never wished anyone ill will on this site. I have disagreed with many opinions, but have really tried not to personally attack anyone. I might have failed, I'll have to reread all my posts to see.

And yes, maybe I am cutting and running. At this point I don't care. I got really tired of the name calling and ill wishing, with total disregard of any issues.

Besides, if someone really believes Saddam was in league with Al Qaeda, that he had WMDs, and he was a real threat to the US or it's interest, then nothing will change their mind.

Danny

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

revsublime I will post the entire content of your last post.

"besides your butt-buddy rev"

I just wish these guys would keep the name calling to my face...but then I doubt many would.

annonymity breeds courage...and its very sad.

A very true statement It is very sad and I certainly don't see your Name on the end of that post. You asked/suggested that the name calling should be to your face. He!! you don't even leave you proper Name behind how would one know who's face to say it too.

I sign all my posts and any time you don't like what I have to say to you show your face and I will be glad to repeat the name calling.

Bob Lawless

16. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I would have no problem saying what I say to people on this site to their face. Period.

Marbell, I cannot believe that you're that old. I would have thought that you were in your twenties. Unreal. I explained myself about the cancer comment. If it's not enough for you oh so high and mighty types, oh well. Held my old man's hand as he took his last breath. Does it get any worse? The comment made was just a sarcastic insult made to counter a sarcastic insult.

I went too far? That's your opinion. I could have said allot nastier things. Furthermore, why should I have to defend myself to you 3 idiots? You a-holes are the ones that start this crap!

Brett D.

17. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

By the way, sometimes things hit a little to close to home? I had a dog crap on my head one time. That's why the dog poop comment bothered me so bad. LOL.

Sorry about your wife, Dan. I'm sure that this is a difficult day for you. Condolences.

Brett D.

18. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Brett,

You're right, I did start some of it and I made some of it worse. That's why I want to bow out. Usually people like us who have a common bond, like shotgunning, can overlook other differences. I don't want these debates to turn into rifts that we can't repair, so we can shoot together. Or at least, help each other with gun issues.

I also held my wife's hand as she died. It's something no one should have to live through. And I believe you - no one who's been through it would seriously wish bad health on anyone else.

I also agree with a couple of posters, here and on other threads. There are plenty of other sites to debate political issues. I plan on keeping my future discussions to shotgunning and other gun related topics.

Danny

19. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I think that sounds like a plan.

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My but we have a lot of people deciding what can and cannot be discussed here.<br>
    <br>
    The fact is, the site owner has not banned political discussions.<br>
    <br>
    It's been said over and over ad nauseum ad infinitum - if you don't like the topic of a thread, then don't open it.<br>
    <br>
    It's just that simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.