1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - AR-15 rifles

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dmarbell, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Keep in mind that I am not a rifle shooter. I have an old .22 nylon that I used to shoot squirrels with, and I've shot a Savage .300 at deer a few times. I have been considering a couple of AR or AK rifles while they are still available.

AR-15 5.56mm shoots a bullet the size of a .22, with a little more weight. Goes a lot faster and hits a lot harder. It doesn't compare with the ballistics of, say, the .270 Winchester. The .270 bullet is bigger and heavier, starts out as fast, retains speed to distance, has much more power and shoots flatter. Probably kicks much harder. Probably can't get mags with 20-30 rounds capacity.

What is the black rifle all about? Be gentle. I know I should shoot one and find out.

Danny

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The black rifle reminds one of the comment that 'a camel is a horse designed by a committee.'

It was an attempt to give more firepower (lighter round, hence more ammo could be carried at one time), ease of use, ease of maintenance, ease of repair (parts interchange).

With its introduction it was an astounding failure.

Now it has evolved into a loved creature (go figure) - it is ideal for urban warfare, and regardless of what many say of the round, the 223/5.56 is more than a fair man stopper (bullet placement, not spray and pray). Further it rules in military hi-power matches today (a reflection of the refinements made on the weapon - think of the Colt 1911 from the 1940's and what a tricked out 1911 can do today).

The AK's are a variation on the theme - similar drive behind the need for the design for the rifle - just a different end result - same thing for the round (7.62 X 39).

Some prefer one over the other - realize they are both compromises to some degree between power, weight, cost, and anything else a government committee might throw into the mix. Neither one is perfect.

Others will tell you to go after the 308 round (AR-10's, M1A, etc.) but from what you say (and what I conclude from what you do NOT say), I think you would be fine with an AR - I would suggest this over the AK only in that parts and ammo are the American military standard and hence should remain available longer than any other round in the USA.

I know I haven't gone into the particulars of the gun itself, but I don't think that is what you were really asking. If you want more info try searching AR-15 on this site - there have been several other threads on this topic.

Hope I've helped,

David D

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Spend some time before you spend your money. As David says, they are way ahead of the game now compared to the 60s.

Learn what you want to do with it. It is not for small game and it is not for large game. It is for men and varmints. There are varying twist rates which will determine what bullet weights work best in any particular rifle...some as fast as 1 in 8, some as slow as one in the teens...faster for longer heavier bullets, slower for the lighter ones.

You can get ARs with metallic sights, scope sights, rail equipped for about any kind of add on you want. Standard barrel, heavy barrel, fluted, bull, fixed stock, telescopic stock. You name it. There are add on upper assemblies in big game calibers and even one in 50 cal which should be o.k. for about anything that walks on this continent.
    Read, ask, study, learn...then make your choice. I'd advise against the AK unless you just want something about totally reliable, not extremely accurate and in buying one you support a communist country where it was likely made.

stan

4. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Danny: A good website is www.ar15.com if you're interested. Darrell

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

dmarbell, if you would like to see a fine example of an AR15 for varmints go to the post below. I'm bragging a little. Bulge

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Here Mike, Your AR15

7. oz

oz Active Member

they are going like hotcakes right now due to obama. If you find one for a good price buy it they are only going to go up in price. oz

8. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Buy one if you get the chance. They all are suffering from Obama inflation, and the market is going crazy. Guns, parts, optics and ammo are pulling a premium if you can get it. They are good guns, definitely an asset, not a liability. You can recoup your money from them easy. Go with a bushmaster, colt etc if you can. Ive seen a lot of off brands going for super cheap before obama became the demacratic nominee.

BTW, mike thats a nice setup. Looks like the DPMS LRSS with that grip. I love the tubular hand gaurd. Free floating barrels is a must with these guns.

9. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

cuban that is a nice weapon, you should be proud. Would you please describe what you did to it and the type and kind of hardware it has, including manufacture name. thank you

10. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Want to sell the nylon 22?????????

Wait until all the BS about the black rifles is over. About March all the wannabes will be up to their eyes in credit card debt and you can pick one up for a more realistic price. While I believe it will be a bad 4 yrs for gun owners i think it will be after the economy bailout (LOL) before they will get on gun owners. Just an opinion.

11. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The AR companys are backlogged on production up to 18 months, it wont be over in march. They cant make thier lowers quick enough.

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Partygirl,I started with an Olympic receiver.I paired it up with a stainless 1 1/8" heavy barrel. It is free floating, From there i went to the round handguard. It is aluminum. Next was the grip a PSG-1 style. I then added the Ironstone adjustable stock and the Leupold Varix III 4.5 to 14 with a mil-dot sight. It weighs 14.5 pounds but can be reduced by taking off the optional weights. The ironstone is fully adjustable for weight, length of pull, cant and any other way you may adjust it. They come right handed but I adapted it for my left hand shooting. Oh yes i also added the Harris bi-pod, and yes I am proud of that one. I can group 5 at 100 at less than 5/8 inch. Only my abilities hinder the thing from better groups. Bulge.

13. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I'm ready...
    [​IMG]

14. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Didn't say the manufactures issues would be over in March, I said to wait till the wannabes had to pay the credit card bills. When the non-shooters find out they bought things they didn't need to buy. Just like 9\11, I made out like a bandit after Christmas that year buying from folks who no longer saw the need.

15. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

dmarbell,two things about the AR to keep in mind. 1)You can get a .22 L.R. upper assembly that is a lot of fun to shoot & will make you proficient with the gun. And do it for very few ammo $$$. 2)The average guy/gal with a bit of gun knowledge put together a very nice personalized gun. You can have something to protect you(the need will prob never arise),hunt moose all the way down to prairie dogs & mice & just plain enjoy shooting(22LR) Do all this with 1 lower receiver that YOU put together. Yes,there are rifles that will do a lot of the above but not all & not with the same fun. I own at least a dozen trap guns of the highest order,custom built pistols by the best pistolsmiths,and rifles done by the best. The AR-15 is my very favorite firearm.

16. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

I've never heard the M16 called "utterly reliable" before, in fact it's reliability (especially in adverse conditions, like combat) has always been it weak suit. Now calling the AK47 utterly reliable does make sense.

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Delbert, you are leaving out the important part. Read his statement"remarkably simple and utterly reliable when properly cared for". Properly Cared for is the important part. Bulge

18. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

Bulge if you dont mind me asking, what do you think you have invested?

19. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The .22lr is an interesting upper for the AR-15. I would love to get one but after a little research Ive decided to try and pick up a complete gun with the .22 upper because just the upper alone costs nearly as much as the whole gun. The 200 bucks is enough to make me want the lower too.

20. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Well I built it about 10 to 15 years ago and prices were much lower.Back then it was around the $2000 dollar mark. The scope and the stock were half of the cost. Bulge.
    PS: I have a nephew that gave me six 30 round clips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.