1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Anyone use Sea Foam in cars/trucks/boats?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

A buddy of mine recommended Sea Foam to me to add to my gas tank on my little fishing boat. He also said it's great for cars. Before I try this have any of you used it and what were your experiences?

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've used Sea Foam in cars, pickups, boat motors, lawnmowers, lawn tractors and anything that is internal combustion. As far as I'm concerned it's the best thing on the market. It does exactly what its advertised for.

Use it for cleaning the fuel system, used it for storage, it does it all.

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

additives are a sucker game.

4. ryanhammer

ryanhammer TS Member

^^^Sorry, but your wrong here. As a professional mechanic, I have watched this stuff save quite a few engines when used to dissolve sludge, free up sticky rings and lifters, and dissolve carbon in heads. One car I serviced had what resembled chocolate cake batter in the oil pan, after a couple of cycles of clean oil and seafoam, the car left with no tell-tale noises or bad oil pressure. The thing runs great today, unlike how it came in. It is good stuff.

5. DHN-MN

DHN-MN TS Member

I had an old (1970's) Johnson 9.5 outboard that wanted to cut out at high speed. It ran fine at idle and lower speeds. I started adding Sea Foam at 1oz./gallon of fuel and after a tank or two the problem disappeared. This was a couple years ago and the engine still runs like a champ. Now I always add Sea Foam when I mix gas and oil for this engine.

6. dshot

dshot Member

I am with the Hammer, I think it's great stuff.

7. hoot619

hoot619 Member

I just bought 10 cans on sale now At my Part store NAPA . I trust it works like it says. If gas can get threw it Sea Form will work. If plugged no it won't. Ken

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

While I think JerryP is correct most of the time, there are specific additives that truly do help.

I have no experience with Sea Foam, but I know Stabil has saved me a fortune on boat and small engine carb repairs.

I have also used Techron to great advantage in my truck (Chevron made fuel injection cleaner) - it is recommended by almost all car manufacturers.

Many of the others leave me wondering...

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I used to think all additives were snake oil, but I have a buddy that swears by Sea Foam, and my pickup was idling rough, so I tried it, the stuff does work

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have used and continue to use Sea Foam for over 35/40 years ... If it don't work as JerryP says I have wasted a lot of money but I think it works to the point I even used it in my race car, My OffShore Boat, Motorcycle, Golf Cart, My personal truck, my wifes car, and any and everything else that have an engine on it around this house ... They make no claims on the can, they just state the facts from what I can tell ... I quit buying it by the can years ago and have bought it by the case ever since ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

I have a little boat that came with a older suzuki 30hp two stroke. The motor had been in a barn for 15 years or so. It fired right up but ran rough. A friend told me to try some sea foam in the gas. Each trip out I would add some of the sea foam and eventually the motor ran very well. Still does. Good product and it really does work if you are patient and don't over do it.

12. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

A friend of mine recommended Sea Foam instead of Sta-bil years ago. With Sta-bil, I could never get the lawnmower, snowblower, chainsaw, etc to start the next season. Now I use Sea-Foam and everything starts like it should. I also use it in my boat and cars and trucks and have never had an injector problem.
    Pat Haskins

13. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Excellent fuel injector cleaner use as can says 1oz for every gallon in the tank you can use more if you need a little better cleaning of the injectors .Pat

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I assembled a new metal shed in the backyard for storage. I placed my lawn mower in it and about 4 months later had problems with the lawn mower (knocking /missing) but still ran. I was told by the a local lawn service company working on the lawn across the street to try Sea Foam in my mower. It started to get better by the 2 tankfull and after about 5-6 I never even noticed the knocking was gone. I will use it year around now because of the Ethenol in the fuel sold now. Ethenol will attract water into the fuel. Its a real problem on boats. Sea Foam has been around since I was born, and its still here. That should tell you something about the product right there. Break-em all. Jeff

15. dhip

dhip Active Member

I use it in vehicles and my boat.A marine mechanic stated he's never seen an engine so clean when he had to rebuild it for a fella.Rebuild was something the fella wanted done because of age of motor,no other issues.

Doug H.

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I wish you could still get the original Sea Foam like they made it in the 70's that stuff would actually get the carbon out of cylinder heads. When unleaded gas first hit lots of cars would develop carbon knocks and you'd think you had a rod out or something. You could pour Sea Foam down the carb until it choked the engine out, let it sit a few hours, and it would run great and the knock would be gone. I don't think todays version is quite the same.

17. THE-PLUMBER

THE-PLUMBER TS Member

I used to make this stuff at the chemical plant 20 years ago.Alot of people swear by it.I think if the chem plant did not kill the the memory i would give the formual.I'm pretty sure the bulk of it is tolulene and xylene.When i work there we made all the stp stuff and goofoof and such,but when it come to the fuel additives there all the same for the most part.We would make 20k gallons at a time.It was funny back then when we would all dump pure methanol in the tank's before we would take the vechiles to the emmision station.I don't care if how your car was running,it would pass with that.We also would watch the tec come out ever time the pure alcohol loads came and take the test sample's and wieght's.It took along time for people to figure out why he had a coke in his hand all the time.He did get caught i the long run with his spiked drink.

18. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Bikers swear by it and yeah, I use it in mine.

Here's what one biker website FAQ has to say about it:

What the heck is Sea Foam?

Sea Foam is the be-all and end-all of everything! According to some, it can cure impotency, baldness, warts, pimples, dingleberries... As far as we bikers are concerned, Sea Foam is a super fuel additive. It stabilizes the fuel by encapsulating any water in it (makes it great for storing the bike over winter; works much better than Stabil!) and cleans the carb of any gum that's built up as well as the top end of the engine of carbon buildup. Used as a prophylactic measure every 3000 miles, it keeps the carbon from building up in the first place.

19. skeet100

skeet100 Member

It is good stuff..... I use it all the time...

20. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Seafoam is good stuff, Esp for fuel systems. If you want something to really clean carbon from combustion chambers and rings find a Yamaha outboard dealer and get some Ring Free. A couple tanks with this stuff and you can read the part numbers on the piston tops. It's pricey but it works.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.