1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Anyone ever have Maine Lobsters Delivered?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by starshot2b, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I would like to order Maine Lobsters and have them delivered. Has anyone done this and if so, any recommendations? Is it better to get tails or the whole bug? It's a surprise for the other half if I can pull this off. TIA

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Yup! We order live lobsters.

Tell them what day that you want them....they will overnite them to you.

You know that it won't be cheap!

3. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

There's a refrigerated truck that delivers fresh seafood to central NY from Maine every Friday afternoon. People around here buy their lobster out of the back of the truck in the parking lot of one of the malls. I know it sounds "fishy" but I assure you its all above board... lol.

Anyway, these guys also ship lobster in dry ice, overnight to any place in the country... So... the answer to your question is yes.

Walker

4. wylekiot

wylekiot TS Member

Hi Browning for me, Yes go ahead and do it, sounds like aver spedial ocoasion. I live out in the Midwest and they are delivered overnight. They are packed in wet seaweed. We have ordered just a few times, as they are quite expensive. Ours have always been alive. We kind of play with them a little before dinner. Makes for a very festive dinner. Thanks Ken

5. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Thanks gents, could any of you provide me a name of the place you get them from?

EE, you make a very good point. Forget I asked about the tails.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I vote for just the tails....I got a bag with 8 good size tails(fresh frozen) at Sams Club for $6.99/lb...thats a steal, and they were delicious...unless you are trying to impress a guest with the whole beast ..this is by far the way to go

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Most Maine Lobsters aren't even from Maine anymore.

8. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I have done it and they will ship you a whole clambake with live lobster, clams, corn on the cob. etc. Great if you want to do something different or for special occasion.

9. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Sorry, the company is lobsterclambake.com. They do a great job.

10. Urbans

Urbans Member

Gorton's.com does a wonderful job.

11. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

just got back from Maine and new Hampshire. had lobster three times in one week. the price that you might see in the paper is bogus. The lobsterman are having a fight in that area because lobsters are too cheap to even take their boats out and catch. problem is that by the time they get tot he store the price is 9.95 a pound for the hard shell lobsters. the price here in Ohio is 8.95 so they are cheaper in the store here that actually right where they catch them. The soft shell type are cheaper but do not taste the same. mushy and more water inside. the soft ones are just moulted and the shell has not had time to harden. The "lobster tails" that you get at Sam's or other stores are actually south African crayfish and not Maine lobster. there is a real difference BUT you really need to eat the entire Maine lobster. That includes the green stuff inside along with the tail, claw and all the meat inside. most people that eat the lobster leave the entire body and just eat the tail and claws. what a waste of great food. trouble with having them shipped is the great cost of the overnight delivery. have fun and check the internet for where all the meat is inside. One thing. cut the lobster up the middle and right under the head on the inside is a "sand sack" that has to be removed and not eaten. It is right in the front end when you open it up. Another thing. DO NOT BOIL the lobster in a tub of water. Put 2 inches of water in a big pot and pour in about a tablespoon of old bay seasoning. Boil the water to a full boil and drop in the lobsters and let them steam about 7 minutes for the first pound and 3 minutes for each additional pound. Much better then the tub of water.

12. capvan

capvan Active Member

We live in Vermont and my wife was born in Maine, so we have a lot of "lobsta" experience. MotorDoctor has it right. Be real careful in stores to find out exactly where your lobsters are from. Some not-very-good lobster is starting to come from Asia. Same with mail-order.

Now, if you want the real experience, vacation in Maine and go out on a lobster boat. Eat what you catch. Really a fun day. For an excellent read on lobsters, try Linda Greenlaw's book "The Lobster Chronicles". Truly an excellent book.

capvan
    kb1iix@arrl.net

13. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Going to do it in reverse and "deliver" my wife and myself via auto to the Maine/Vermont/New Hampshire/Nova Scotia/PEI area for a four to six week vacation starting in September. Can anyone recommend a good place to eat lobster or other seafood while up along the Atlantic coast?

DoubleAuto

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Be sure and check that Maine Lobter's I.D. You know, just to make sure its from Maine....lol

Hauxfan!

15. trapster100

trapster100 Member

We use this place to have lobsters delivered to friends in Texas. It is about 30 min. down the road from us in Windham Maine.
    http://www.lobsters-shipped.com/

This is a highly recommended place to eat with breathtaking views in Cape Elizabeth Maine.
    http://lobstershacktwolights.com/

Of course, if your going to be visiting L.L. Beans in Freeport Maine, you cannot miss the Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster!!!

http://www.harraseeketlunchandlobster.com/index.html

16. skip

skip Member

http://www.jameshooklobster.com/

Boston Company

Never ship lobsters in dry ice, the ice out gasses co2 and kills the lobsters.

Use the frozen blue ice paks used to keep lunch boxes cold. Wrap the lobster in wet newpaper and ship next day air.

South of Boston Lobster is around $3.50 a pound off the boats.

Now if I could find some butter and sugar corn ............

17. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Double Auto,

I forget the name of the place, but if you are heading north out of Portsmouth, NH towards Kittery, ME on old US 1 there is an island (Badger Island??) in the middle of the Piscataqua River and there is a lobster dealer right there. Others closer to the tourist areas can smell a tourist a mile away...

I suggest you buy "culls" - they will have cosmetic flaws, or might be missing a claw, or have a smaller claw on one side - they cost a lot less and taste just as good (You'll need to cook these yourself).

In terms of places to eat try the local lobster shacks - every town has one or two - the more off the beaten track the better. Typically they will sell a platter - a lobster with all the trimmings - for very little.

We did this once - had lobster every night for five days - different place each night some were good, some were better, none were bad.

My advise would be to look for the really small water communities - the ones that are not tourist destinations - you should do well for finding good food a reasonable prices.

You might want to check out the Kittery Trading Post (http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/landing.php/pid/103) as well as L. L. Bean. Be advised that Freeport, ME is a MAJOR center for outlet shopping, so if you go to Beans be prepared for the wife wanting to visit ALL the other shops (lost two days there), I'll admit some of the shops are very male oriented...

Enjoy the vacation.

18. higun

higun Member

Browning4me,
    Check out Bayley's Lobster Pound at http://www.bayleys.com/ They have been around for years and I have used them for shipping with good results.

Doubleauto,
    Bring your trapgun on your vacation and be sure to shoot at the Scarborough Fish & Game Club. When you're done shooting there are dozens of seafood places within a very short distance at which you can get great lobsters.

Tron,
    Really ??? Where are most Alaskan Brown Bear from these days?

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mash the link above. Never ordered from them, but heard they were decent. Prices include shipping, but look a bit steep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.