1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Any Snap-On Tool Experts out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I recently picked up an older (I think) Snap-On 1/2" drive rachet. It is a model S 710. On the head is says Snap-On (underlined)and below that it says Kenosha, WIS and below that U.S.A. Where you change the drive from ON to OFF it has a diamond shape between the two. Down on the handle it says Snap-On (unlined) S 710 USA WARNING INSPECT CLEAN AND OIL REGULARLY REPLACE WORN PARTS. Any idea how old it is? I've looked on the net and found out that Snap-On no longer makes the S710 now it's the SL710 I believe. Any help appreciated. Regards, FIB

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Being there is a "warning" on it, it is not that old. I have one without the warning and it is probably 30+ years old.

Not an expert, but have been around Snap-on tools my whole life.

3. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have a Snap-On 1/2 in. rachet that is marked SL710 which I bought about 1985. It might be before that.

4. FIB

FIB Member

I'm pretty sure it's from the 70's or before just because of the abbrevation for Wisconsin. The rachet has WIS on it instead of WI. Just a thought????

5. jw oh

jw oh TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a Snap-on 1/2" drive ratchet (L 715), (the 15 pertains to handle length, I think), that has the number 7 between the on/off. I purchased it in 1957.

Also have one that I bought in 1960 that has a square-cornered 'zero' in the same location. (Almost a box shape.)

All my opened-end, combination, and box wrenches have a single digit (5,6,7,8,9,) stamped into the handle, they were purchased in the mid to late 50's.

I'm thinking, Snap-on may have changed the shape of the zero every ten years for their records when replacing broken tools. I have an odd combination wrench that has a 'diamond' shaped zero in the handle. No record of when they replaced my original wrench. It still looks quite new. None have the 'warning' label.

6. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

I have a Snap On catalog and price sheet from 1988, neith of those are listed in that year

7. FIB

FIB Member

I called Snap-On and they really couldn't help me. I know they quite making it (or remodel named it) sometime in the 80's. I know some guys collect the older models and was just curious. Regards, FIB

8. harleyboy

harleyboy TS Member

Here is a chart for snap on year symbols to 1999.Dave http://cruisin2.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/snap-on1.gif

9. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Googled "snap-on tool year markings".

The "Diamond mark" - made in 1980.

10. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks Dave and Gapper!

11. ctreay

ctreay Member

Well I had to go out to the shop to check mine. It is marked L 710 CAN, between the on and off is what appears to be a 6.

ctreay

12. white rattler

white rattler Member

Getting Old, As I age I have started to do some dumb things and one of them is to start collecting Snap On Tools. I have got thousands of dollars of new in the box Snap On stuff. It got so bad for a while when ever I saw a dealer truck on the road I would follow him until he stopped at at that time I would go inside his truck and buy something. I am sure that I have everything they have ever made. Now for the rest of the story I have a complete set of Craftman tools that I use day to day. Trevor Dawe.

13. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Did any of you know that an older (1970's) round handle, 1/2 in standard Snap-On ratchet, can double as a clutch alignment tool for most older GM's, if inserted handle first into the clutch plate, then the pilot bearing?

It's not perfect, but has got me out of a pinch a few times.

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
old pictures of 1960 t0 1970 snap on tool boxes
snap on 715

snap on s710 ratchet

snap on s710 year

snap on sl710 ratchet

snap on year underlined

snap-on sl710

what year is a snap on s710 ratchet