1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Any NRA High Power Shooters in the Crowd?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Spent half the day yesterday searching online so just before I buy something, I had a few more questions.

I used to shoot HP Matches few years back with borrowed guns (Garands & one Space Gun), but now I want to get my own AR. I want to stick to the Service class for now to keep the cost of the gun lower, but still be competitive. My research seems to indicate that the best Service Rifle would be a full RRA Lower with a WOA Service Upper so total cost would be approx $1400. So here come the questions:

1) Is this the BEST combo for under $1500 or is there something better?<BR>
    2) Are the Armalite, CLE, Colt or DPMS lowers better than RRA?<BR>
    3) WOA does not sell full rifles, just uppers and I've never built an AR. Is it really just that simple to assemble it or do I need to then bring it to a gunsmith to fit and assemble the lower and upper?<BR>
    4) Is the Krieger barrel upgrade worth the $85?<BR>
    5) Can I get a higher quality trigger than the RRA 2-Stage for the Service Class or will that disqualify the rifle from Service Class?<BR>
    6) At a later date, will I be able to re-use my lower with a new Match upper for a full out space gun? Is it even worth it?<BR>

As you can see, I am looking for the best rifle to approx $1500 so I just want to make sure that I got it right.

Thanks

2. gary0920

gary0920 Member

JP Service rifle - match ready - the best you can buy. Check out the above link.

3. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

My opinions.

1.Yes
    2.No
    3.yes
    4.yes
    5. As long as it makes weight and looks stock, you are good to go.
    6. yes

You can also just buy a whole RRA Match A2 or A4 and do well with it. I shot a 775 with mine. White Oak will give you a front post that is lined up better than RRA, but otherwise they both shoot good.

Check out USRifleteams.com

PS. HP is a lot of work. No breaks. You are either shooting, scoring or pulling targets. It is fun, but little downtime.

Imagine trap but with manual houses, and no scorers, and it is your job when you are not shooting to fill those positions. MN shooters will now know where I am this year.

Good Luck

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Brent, thanks. Seems the RRA & WAO combo is being preferred to a full RRA gun for just a bit more money. I guess I am amazed that the AR's don't need to be fitted to work well. I was surprised at all the companies selling them in pieces.

5. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

I bought a new RRA national match. It shot very well, but I had two problems that RRA wouldn't even reply to me about. Quite displeased with the total lack of response for warranty issues. One of the failures caused me to drop out of a match after 3 shots from the 600yd line. X and two tens...I WAS PI$$ED!.
    Pretty much blew a bunch of money and a full day of my time.

FWIW

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

What were the problems?

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Sarge, thanks for the advice, but I put in an order for an RRA Lower and a WOA Upper. I went with the Wilson barrel because I just didn't see the need for a Kreiger bbl first time out, and I was mistaken, the upgrade was $250. So basically ALL in with all the upgrades, the whole thing will cost shy of $1100. Seems almost free compared to the stuff around here.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I just started, but decided to go into F-Class. It seemed a little more directed at the older shooter. I just ordered a Savage Model 12 in 6mm Norma. Looks like fun.

9. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

My nearby range is only 300. I have a few 600 ranges and I think one 1000 range within a few hours but those are not practical more than once or maybe twice per year. And for that I have a Tikka Sportster in 308 scoped which I can use if I do go there.

10. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Wilson barrels shoot fine, they just don't shoot quite as fine for as long.

Here is the deal. Most people drop half of the points they lose in a match at 200 yards, especially offhand. At that distance, it's all you, no gun shoots bad enough to cost you a 9 at 200.

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

That exactly what WOA said. They said the Wilson and Krieger barrels will shoot the same, but the Krieger will last longer. Given the massive price difference between the two. It costs the same to replace a Wilson barrel as buying one Krieger from the start. So 2 Wilsons = 1 Krieger. I figured I can always get a "better" barrel later on if I REALLY feel the need for it.

12. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

My RRA had a firing pin with a divot in the end. The non-rounded end cause occasional piercings with higher powered loads.
    The pin holding the buffer together backed out during a match and locked up the recoil buffer assy. I fixed it myself by peening it into place, but got no response from RRA when I asked how to get it replaced under warranty. Both of these issues were either new or after maybe a max of 400 rounds, within 6 months of purchase.

Jeff

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I started high power with a loaner Garand from the club. Did fairly decent with it, but I'm having a problem with my neck shooting prone. An AR fits me better. Not sure which one I want, but the Bushmaster is the most popular for the budget guns, and is recommended and used by some of our clubs top shooters.

14. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Vpr80 check your pm's

15. Kerz

Kerz Member

My Friend,
    I too would encourage you to seek info at www.USRifleteams.com. Excellent reference source. My HP shooting dates back to 1985. Rock River good stuff, so is Bushmaster (Remington). White Oak does exellent work and Compass Lake. Frank White at CLE has done all my AR work. http://www.compasslake.com/
    Vic Kersey
    Ashland KY

16. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Am I missing something on that website? The only thing useful there is the link to the HP Forums and even those are not well traveled. There are other much busier forums.

17. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Frank White, in FL, great guy great service, and he is at Camp Perry every year for HIGH POWER and SERVICE RILE WEEK...Grubby

18. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

Yes, highpower forums are a disgrace. Woefully attended. That has been my experience.

YMMV

Jeff

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Try benchshooter.com, or 6mmbr.com.

20. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

usrifleteams.com has been so-so, but I got all the info that I need from there.

Right now I am on hold for approx 4 more months until my upper arrives from WOA. It's gonna be a long 4 months :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

nra highpower service rifle shoots in oregon